• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphics/Visuals

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    There is generally a change in the visuals between generations. Between adding color, rendering 3D, changes in font, and Generation 6's whole graphical overhaul, the games sure don't look like they did 20 years ago. What kind of changes to the graphics are you hoping for? Personally, I hope they do away with the chibi style of the overworld.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Something simple, but I would like to see the battle interface look more like it did in X and Y than ORAS. Was much more smoother and pretty in X and Y.

pkmin3033

I'll just be happier with better 3D models for the Pokemon; they looked absolutely horrible in the sixth gen titles. I'd like a little more vibrancy to capture the feel of the franchise; bring them a little closer towards an anime-esque look, rather than this gritty, washed-out CGI that was used in the awful real-life Pokemon adverts. I much prefer a more colourful palette for Pokemon; HG/SS were a dream come true for me, as everything was so much brighter and prettier than DPPt which, good as they were, felt very sterile in some areas. In short: more colour.

Years
    I'll just be happier with better 3D models for the Pokemon; they looked absolutely horrible in the sixth gen titles. I'd like a little more vibrancy to capture the feel of the franchise; bring them a little closer towards an anime-esque look, rather than this gritty, washed-out CGI that was used in the awful real-life Pokemon adverts. I much prefer a more colourful palette for Pokemon; HG/SS were a dream come true for me, as everything was so much brighter and prettier than DPPt which, good as they were, felt very sterile in some areas. In short: more colour.

So, you want models that were fluid like in XY, but with colours more closer to the anime and 3rd-5th Gen sprites? I hope we get something like that, since it would make a perfect balance for great 3D rendering of Pokemon.

pkmin3033

So, you want models that were fluid like in XY, but with colours more closer to the anime and 3rd-5th Gen sprites? I hope we get something like that, since it would make a perfect balance for great 3D rendering of Pokemon.
    Pretty much. I don't see why Pokemon has to gradually evolve into this fugly semi-realistic CGI/real-world kind of thing. Part of the appeal is that it's fictional; the graphics don't need to get more and more advanced and "realistic" with each instalment. The pre 5th Gen sprites captured the essence of Pokemon perfectly, in my opinion. The models are fine, but they just need that splash of colour and personality to make them feel better~

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I would like for the models to be like they were in the 3D console games, and for the terrible cell shading the Pokemon had to be gone. Some more realistic colors would be nice too (why is nighttime more bright than sundown?)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Usually, there's a graphical upgrade each generation. Gen 5 didn't use the same engine as Gen 4 despite both debuting on the DS, so I'm expecting Gen 7 to use an enhanced version of the XY/ORAS game engine.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I would like for the models to be like they were in the 3D console games, and for the terrible cell shading the Pokemon had to be gone. Some more realistic colors would be nice too (why is nighttime more bright than sundown?)

I'm going to have to strongly disagree. X/Y (and OR/AS) Pokemon look amazing. I was so worried about their transition into 3D just because we had dealt with their horrible N64 models for so many years. I despise the models on console games. The models used for X/Y and OR/AS are much more true to Pokemon and...less blocky.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I'm gonna have to agree with Meloetta on this. There was just... something about the Gen VI games that didn't feel as awesome or breathtaking as the console games and I think part of that is the lackluster coloring on the models. It's so... pale and washed out. I know they're trying to emulate the Sugimori art style, but it just does not work as it is presented right now. The cell shading is just really sparse and kind of awful. I especially hate those obnoxious pixelated outlines. They really ruin it for me. Even though I prefer 3D models in general, I have to say that the sprites of Gen IV and V felt much more vibrant and engaged me more. Part of the reason I had trouble getting into Gen VI was because of how disappointed I was with the lack of coloring. I am very sensitive to aesthetics, so this affected my mood in the games a lot.

It is my hope that they make it like the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon models for the 3DS games. I think these are perfect and feel so lively and colorful, like how Pokemon games should be. And maybe a few touch-ups of some of the... weirder looking models too. (Like Torkoal and its horrid smoke cloud, Delphox's awkward and horrid proportions, which still looks great in artwork, but has something odd about it, etc.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Braixen promised some nice evolution but they scrapped it with how Delphox design is. Braixen look way better than Delphox.

Years
    I actually liked Delphox...

That being said I was hoping for Gen VI battles to look like the ones from Colosseum, so I'd like to see that in Gen VII. I like more saturated colors, like those of ORAS, over those of XY (definitely not colorful enough imo). 3D everywhere would also be nice. Also, frying rid of the shapes of the battle icons from ORAS would be a huge plus. Besides that, I just want to see the performance issues fixed. The lag/stuttering was really bad in XY/ORAS

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I bet they wont fix the lad/stuttering that much because they expect people to play on New 3DS.

pkmin3033

I bet they wont fix the lad/stuttering that much because they expect people to play on New 3DS.
    I expect they will improve things as much as they possibly can, but of course it's going to run better on the New 3DS regardless - it's the more powerful version of the handheld. It SHOULD run better on the N3DS because of this. That doesn't mean it can't run properly on the standard models though.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It's how slow the battles are that irritates me, as opposed to their look. Would be nice if the Pokémon were more vibrant, too

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I like the current OR/AS graphics so any improvement would be great. My biggest complaint with Pokemon battles though is interactivity with attacks. Id like to see pokemon actually hitting other pokemon rather than doing a swipe from the start line and an animation.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    To be completely honest I think for my own satisfaction, I've reached the peak of what I want the series to look like.

I'm happy with how the game looks, slightly more with X & Y than ORAS but it's still fine in ORAS so I would be fine if they just fine tuned it rather than dramatically change it for the sake of change.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021

I don't think that would be a reasonable expectation.

What was the adoption rate of the New 3DS anyway? It seems like game wise the only reason to buy one is if you want to play Xenoblade.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I replaced my 3DS with a New 3DS, integrated circle pad pro, better 3D (with eye tracking) better battery life, redesigned positioning of bits and pieces and better general hardware.

Not everyone is going to want to of course but I do hope they use the extra power in it without making it New 3DS only.

Years
    I recall reading on Marriland's Sun & Moon analysis video that he mentioned the games were coming to just "Nintendo 3DS" and that likely means all 3DS-related systems, which includes the 2DS and New 3DS.

Back