• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Graphics/Visuals

blue

gucci
Years
  • Probably similar to the Gen IV to Gen V transition. These games are on the same console as Gen VI, so I don't think there is that much they could do to visually improve the games by a significant amount. I'm sure they will sharpen up the sprites, touch up on the buildings and hopefully add more colour!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I mainly just want the colors to be fixed. In XY, one of the complaints I had was some pokemon colors were far too pale, though they did fix this some in ORAS, but it could still use come improvements.

I would love for them to get a more advanced Colosseum and Gale of Darkness graphics, but not changing the current models too much.

The 3DS are basically all the same. 2ds removes the 3d feature, which was a good thing for the younger kids who shouldn't be playing in 3D yet. The new 3DS will probably be like Old DS vs DSi. I don't see them making game changing mechanics, unless it is optional and suggested, but everything will still work on a normal 3DS, you just might lack a few new features.

Years
  • 5th Gen was like 4th Gen, except 5th Gen's 3D rendering was more advanced. I could imagine smoother graphics or some similar transition with Sun & Moon.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I would personally prefer if it came out on the New 3DS. I'd like to see what a Pokemon game could do with that extra processing power.
    If by "holiday release," they're planning on the game being a Christmas present, I could see them doing a New 3DS/SunMoon bundle.

I think more developers need to take advantage of the New 3DS, but a lot of them may be scared to due to the lack of people actually owning them, unfortunately.

At the very least, I hope it comes out for the 3DS, but is able to take advantage of the New 3DS for extra features.

Years
  • I feel like most people don't buy the New 3DS because most 3DS games are released for the entire 3DS family, with the only real standout the New 3DS getting being Xenoblade (and maybe a few other exclusives). However, the US is releasing a New 3DS bundle to commemorate the Red/Blue/Yellow VC release (EU/AU is getting three 2DS bundles instead, one installed with either Red, Blue or Yellow), so it's not being heavily neglected.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • The only real upgrade I expect is in the Pokemon models themselves.

Not the quality, or the style, just more animated -more lively- poses for some of the Pokemon. Pyroar and Gogoat are two of the new Mons that look SO boring because of how they just stand there.

Also, some of the more popular Pokemon will have special animations like Oshawat playing with his scalchop in BW2(?)

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2023
    I do wonder if Pokemon Sun and Moon will do something like Monster Hunter Ultimate 4 where the N3DSXL will improve the game quality in terms of graphics.

pkmin3033

Whilst I dislike the washed-out colour palettes immensely, I think a few different animations would go a long way towards improving them as well...at the very least, the Pokemon that are randomly soaring a few inches above the ground or standing completely still should get some kind of improvement.

The cynic in me doesn't expect any changes at all, though...as a general rule, if they don't need to make a change to sell a game, they won't.

Years
  • I'm expecting a minor change in visuals similar to how gen 4 transitioned into gen 5.

Judging from the concept art of the the two trainers in front of that building, I'm thinking that the character proportions are going to be more realistic this time around, rather than the pseudo-chibi thing gen 6 did.

I do hope they keep the saturated colors of ORAS as opposed to the super washed out looking thing X/Y did.

In terms of general art style, I'd like for it to return to the anime-ish style they used before gen 6.

pkmin3033

Judging from the concept art of the the two trainers in front of that building, I'm thinking that the character proportions are going to be more realistic this time around, rather than the pseudo-chibi thing gen 6 did.
    This is quite probable if we take the concept art as a clear indicator of the game's visual plans, although honestly I hope they don't do this, as it would probably remove all chances of character customisation, since they'd have to do the entire thing from the ground up again...I'm not against reusing assets for the sake of cool features, and the style of the characters in Gen VI was actually quite endearing; it was much closer to the anime in terms of style.

Years
  • I found 6th Gen's chibi-like overworld trainer models not too bad, but if they're going to go full-proportion, I would love to see how that will be pulled off.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I would prefer if they used the in-battle sprites as the new overworld.
    However, if they kept the chibi style (or whatever style they go with), I hope they stick with it in and out of battle. As much as I prefer the realistic over the chibi, it was the change in style that threw me off.

Back