• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gratuity

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I usually just tip what I can at restaurants, though I don't go out too often. I'm a waiter myself, so I know how it is haha. Luckily though, I work at one of, if not the, nicest places in Alabama. I don't think I've ever dealt with a rude customer. Hasty ones, but not rude ones. Please tip your waiters, guys. I know I rely on tips if I wanna make more than $50 when I get my paycheck (though I only work one day a week, cause that's all I can work). Though I tend to forget to tip at hair dressers. :( It doesn't seem like a common practice at a hair place. I thought you only tipped at restaurants. I'm trying to get better about tipping at hair salons though.
    I just tip $2 when I get my hair cut

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Mum used to be a waitress and she's always said to tip 20% because waiters do have it rough for the most part. I generally do around 20% after tax is added- whatever's close to it that brings the transaction up to a rounded-off number because I'm strange like that.

Years
    Like Shining Raichu said above, the whole concept of tipping people is foreign to Australians.

Personally, I've never tipped anyone because it's not expected here, nor is it done often. I would have no trouble with tipping if I was overseas, providing the service was good. If the service isn't good, I'm not going to pay someone for doing their job. If they're smiling and helpful (which is unfortunately not very common), I'd be happy to leave a generous tip as thanks.

EDIT: Also, just to add to that, I think having a "suggested tip" is incredibly rude. A tip is a show of appreciation, it shouldn't be expected.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    It's not completely foreign here in the UK, you can actually tip waiters, but they still get paid as far as I'm aware. I've never tipped anyone before, I know my dad always tips the waiter when we go into a restaurant to eat.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    I always try to tip at least $2 dollars, even if the service isn't that good.. I understand how bad the economy is nowadays, so I don't mind giving a little more.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I tip any change I have in my wallet in that moment, and I only tip over €0,50 when the service was notably great. As customary as tipping may be, the waiters already get a salary so we only go the extra mile when they truly deserve it. After all, nobody tips the guy from the grocery store, right?

And when was the last time I didn't tip a waiter? Well, I'd rather answer the last time I did XD

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
    Tipping is foreign here in Malaysia, too. We do let them keep the change if the service is good though, and if the change isn't too big.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
    You're practically banished from restaurants around here (I live in the UK and where I am if you don't tip they hate you) if you don't tip; Generally it's expected to give at least 10% but I'll normally give £1/£2 - Because I feel that's more that sufficient, I'll give more if the service is good and less if it's not.

Sometimes I don't have change on me and feel horrible not leaving tips because it's generally deserved and in all the cases I've not had any change I've had excellent service. I also nag everyone I'm with to tip as well and considering I go out in a large group we'll give about 10% anyway!

Not to mention they need as much money as they can get considering it's not a particularly well paying job.....

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    You're practically banished from restaurants around here (I live in the UK and where I am if you don't tip they hate you) if you don't tip; Generally it's expected to give at least 10% but I'll normally give £1/£2 - Because I feel that's more that sufficient, I'll give more if the service is good and less if it's not.

Sometimes I don't have change on me and feel horrible not leaving tips because it's generally deserved and in all the cases I've not had any change I've had excellent service. I also nag everyone I'm with to tip as well and considering I go out in a large group we'll give about 10% anyway!

Not to mention they need as much money as they can get considering it's not a particularly well paying job.....
    See, I've never experienced anything bad by either tipping not much or just not tipping at all (which I do fairly frequently). I've not tipped at restaurants and still returned to them to a genial atmosphere. Indeed, there's this one place i go to nearly every week in which I don't tip and yet I get treated the same as all the other customers... I guess I assumed UK-ers weren't that bothered about it on the whole.

Years
    See, I've never experienced anything bad by either tipping not much or just not tipping at all (which I do fairly frequently). I've not tipped at restaurants and still returned to them to a genial atmosphere. Indeed, there's this one place i go to nearly every week in which I don't tip and yet I get treated the same as all the other customers... I guess I assumed UK-ers weren't that bothered about it on the whole.

I'm gonna have to agree with my best friend for life, Catdog here. I've never had any problems returning to restaurants where I didn't previously give a tip. I think they just hate you Kawaii V_V

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    If I didn't tip somewhere, then the service was just so bad that I can't imagine why I would return and give it another go

Back