• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gray whale dies bringing us a message

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I saw a friend from Facebook posted this to his wall and I thought it's worthy to share this.
    Everyone should be aware it and how are we making the animals suffer.

Here's the article:
    Spoiler:

What's on your mind? Please elaborate!

Source: RealNews24

(Note to Scarf: I read the rules, but I'm not sure which prefix I should pick for this subject.)

Years
  • I'm not particularly an environmentalist or a champion of animal rights, but it is disappointing to see stories like this caused by human waste. The albatross chick story in particular is saddening.

All I can say is locally in my area we now have to recycle or I believe we receive a fine or something like that. A policy a lot of local councils should adopt everywhere that can afford such a measure.

Years
  • This is a problem that should worry anybody because trash in the oceans is eventually going to affect people. There are large garbage patches in the world's oceans. Well, not like floating landfills, but high concentration areas full of debris and tiny plastic bits. Not quite as attention grabbing as big chunks of trash clogging a whale's stomach, but no less dangerous. Small things in the ocean can eat this and bring it up the food chain and eventually to people.

The sad thing is that so much trash makes it way out to sea, even from pretty far inland. So even if you don't live near the coast your trash may find its way there by rivers and so on.

(Note to Scarf: I read the rules, but I'm not sure which prefix I should pick for this subject.)
    Don't worry too much about the prefix if you aren't sure which to use.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Wow! I knew this happened (cetacean expert here), but wow. Ten pounds?!

I honestly generally care about animals more than people. If I had a choice to donate $1,000 to one of two charities and one was for people, the other for animals, I'd pick the animal one.

This is so sad, tl think of enndangered animals dying because of our laziness and lack of respect for nature......it's sick.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Yeah, this shouldn't be happening. A lot of stuff comes from the ocean, need to cut down on this crap. Not to mention whales have a lot of meat; think of all the people that could be fed if crap like this wasn't keeping them on the endangered species list.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm not particularly an environmentalist or a champion of animal rights, but it is disappointing to see stories like this caused by human waste. The albatross chick story in particular is saddening.

All I can say is locally in my area we now have to recycle or I believe we receive a fine or something like that. A policy a lot of local councils should adopt everywhere that can afford such a measure.

I'm not an activist for environmental protection or animals rights too. But it's definitely concerning, it's us human that caused its death.

This is a problem that should worry anybody because trash in the oceans is eventually going to affect people. There are large garbage patches in the world's oceans. Well, not like floating landfills, but high concentration areas full of debris and tiny plastic bits. Not quite as attention grabbing as big chunks of trash clogging a whale's stomach, but no less dangerous. Small things in the ocean can eat this and bring it up the food chain and eventually to people.

The sad thing is that so much trash makes it way out to sea, even from pretty far inland. So even if you don't live near the coast your trash may find its way there by rivers and so on.

Don't worry too much about the prefix if you aren't sure which to use.
    I like how you brought the food chain up, wasn't thinking that far when posting this article.
    At that time the word 'guilt' comes to mind. I try my best to avoid using plastics bags or even plastic bottles and as well as to dispose items to their rightful recycle bins.
    I was constantly teased by friends and even family members by disposing items to he recycle bins, saying things like, "You can't change anything and no one's cares about these kinda things." :/

Thank you so much. I want to keep my record clean. ;)

Wow! I knew this happened (cetacean expert here), but wow. Ten pounds?!

I honestly generally care about animals more than people. If I had a choice to donate $1,000 to one of two charities and one was for people, the other for animals, I'd pick the animal one.

This is so sad, tl think of enndangered animals dying because of our laziness and lack of respect for nature......it's sick.
    Even one plastic bag is too much to their digestive system already. Not to mention that plastic bags and bottles are made with chemical that might harm the sea and the marine animals... :(

I wouldn't feel that bad if they died because of nature causes like hurricanes and stuff, because that is beyond our control. But for wasted items appearing in the sea and marine animals eating them, now that's something we can change.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Yeah. So many endangered green sea turtles die by eating plastic bags by confusing them with jellyfish. And poor rorqual baleen whales who gulp feed....

But the only ones to really eat whales are some kinds of Native Americans and places like Japan. Most of the good whaling species were hunted almost to exinction, including gray whales. Sperm whales were also hunted a lot for their spermaceti. We'd probably do fine without whaling, especially because whales have been known to fight back when harpooned. I would prefer if we stayed away from whaling and continued to kill our food with more humane methods.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Yeah. So many endangered green sea turtles die by eating plastic bags by confusing them with jellyfish. And poor rorqual baleen whales who gulp feed....

But the only ones to really eat whales are some kinds of Native Americans and places like Japan. Most of the good whaling species were hunted almost to exinction, including gray whales. Sperm whales were also hunted a lot for their spermaceti. We'd probably do fine without whaling, especially because whales have been known to fight back when harpooned. I would prefer if we stayed away from whaling and continued to kill our food with more humane methods.

I'm sure there are more animal-victims out there and not limited to whales and sea turtles only. Which makes the whole thing more sadder.. This might be a stupid question, but can't they just dispose it to somewhere else that can't harm any types of animals? :(

Years
  • I'm sure there are more animal-victims out there and not limited to whales and sea turtles only. Which makes the whole thing more sadder.. This might be a stupid question, but can't they just dispose it to somewhere else that can't harm any types of animals? :(
    Well, we do generate an awful lot of stuff, and a lot of our stuff eventually becomes trash. Even stuff that is recyclable may be limited to one one or two cycles of being reused before they're in a form that can't be recycled very easily. We have limited space on land to dump trash (people don't like living near trash and people live almost everywhere) so we're basically looking at an every-increasing amount of junk. And if we're looking at a part of the world that doesn't have very good environmental standards and they just dump stuff in the ocean or rivers then that's eventually going to end up thousands of miles away.

I think the real problem is that so much of the trash is plastic. Plastic decays very slowly. We don't even really know how long it will take for some forms of plastic to decay because plastic hasn't been around long enough for us to find out.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    This has been a problem for decades that will probably never be fixed. The use of plastic bags is good economically, but hurts the environment. Many want to switch from plastic bags to paper, but most think that it is a hassle; including me. Our ever growing landfills are becoming more pollute with the plastic bags, and I fear that it would even be worse with papers. This will be a problem that we will have to endure right now, but there may be a solution one day.

Back