• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GREEN (Mature)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2009
    Chapter 15-While My Cigar Gently Weeps

As she slowly opened her eyes and sat up, Green blinked around at the quiet, dim interior of the pokecenter. It was still dark out in Lavender town, and Green could clearly see the thick fog in the streets, highlighted by the pale glow of the moon. There was some pressure on Green's palm that made her turn, but it was only Janine's hand, which had reached out in her direction and brushed Green's as the older girl continued to doze on the huge circular red couch they had claimed the previous night. On the other side of the couch Marta continued to breathe steadily, one hand over her face and her mouth wide open. Green frowned for a moment before getting up and extracting the journal, a pen and her pokeballs out of her bag. She was out of the Pokemon Center with hardly a noise.

Outside in the crisp air, Green took a deep and grateful breath before finding a handy bench to sit on. There, she opened the journal up and began to slowly write out her thoughts. The moment she'd woken up, the urge to write down all those little facts she'd remembered about Rudolph overnight had crept into her head, and now here she was, furiously jotting down notes along the lines of "didn't like tomatoes, but liked ketchup" "was into Led Zeppelin" and "shaved only once a week." It bothered Green that she could no longer think of Rudolph as who she was anymore. That was who she used to be, and now this body was... who she was. Nevertheless, Green recorded with a meticulous hand every scrap of information about Rudolph that she could remember, down to how often he trimmed his toenails. These written facts were, to Green, more precious than gold. They confirmed that Rudolph had in fact existed, and Green took great comfort in that. With these little details written down, Green finally figured that she could move on a bit, leave behind the girl that had broken down in front of Red in the past.

It was only when Green was near the end of her thoughts, lazily writing out the lyrics to a Beatles song, that she let her mind wander back to the problem of Janine. Things had become pretty awkward even since the match against Surge. The entire time that the three of them were walking towards Lavender there had been a pointed silence that had been impossible to ignore. Even Marta was uncharacteristically silent after a few attempts to spark conversation, perhaps sensing that something had happened. Janine had spoken the least, usually walking with a far off look in her eyes that told Green she was thinking about something. Janine didn't respond to Marta hardly at all, and generally only answered Green with quick, two-word responses. Green had just walked in the middle and tried to serve as the middleman, being as quiet as possible while still answering Marta as to not be rude. She'd considered just confronting Janine about this, but had eventually decided to leave things as was. She'd wait until Janine was in more of a talkative mood before trying that.

As Green finished writing the last of the lyrics, she moved to close the book when something made her hesitate. The entries at the beginning of the journal flashed past her vision, and Green realized that she'd never actually read the entries left by the body's previous owner. Tentatively, Green opened to the first entry, dated three months ago. She felt like she was reading something secret and taboo, but on the other hand these were also written by HER. It couldn't be wrong. The first article, like the four after it, were written in a purple pen that made Green frown. All the lowercase i's were dotted with dots half the time and tiny hearts the other half. It was certainly the journal of an 11-year-old girl.

-Dear Diary. Well mother gave me this book today for keeping my thoughts in during my pokemon journey, so I guess I'd better use it. I can't believe I'm going to be leaving in only a few months! I tried to convince May to come along with me a couple of times already, but of course I knew she'd say no. She's much too busy studying nowadays, and doesn't really like battling at all. I'm kind of scared about going out into the world by myself. I saw on TV last night where some kid got beaten up and his pokemon stolen. He's not sure if it was Team Rocket, but I think so. I'm still having trouble deciding which pokemon to use. Squirtle seems the one I'm leaning towards the most right now. -Green

Feeling a pang of guilt, Green remembered her decision on the first day here to not go speak with any parents. Well, of course it would turn out to be that Green and her mother were close then. While wondering how to correct the situation, Green opened the next journal entry and read.

-Dear Diary. Well, I had a great day! We had to take tests for our pokemon licenses today. Of course I never had a doubt I'd pass, but I was done even before Blue! Speaking of Blue, I think he might have smiled at me today during the test. Hehe, I stayed around an extra 10 minutes just because I thought he might do it again! <3. Of course, RED also came up and tried to talk to me on the way home. Ugh, I wish he'd take a hint. I mean, he's nice, but sometimes he follows me around so much I have to do something to make him go away. Anyhow, I went to May's house for a while too. We mostly just played with her Clefairy and talked about what we want to be when we grow up. I don't see what the big deal with being the Pokemon Champion is personally. I mean it's all just sitting around and being bored all the time. I want to be the greatest pokemon collector ever. My secret dream is to one day find a brand new species of pokemon all by myself. May wants to be a pokemon researcher. But she's really nervous about going out by herself, even though she's older than me! Well, Professor Oak has a lot of pokemon on his property, so I guess she does have a lot right here in town to study. Still, I can't imagine staying here forever. The last time I went anywhere was three years ago when we went to Cinnabar Island! I feel cooped up! Still, I've got to remember to call May and mom a few times during my journey. They're both so excited for me already, it makes me smile.-Green

Shutting the book, Green stared ahead into the fog. The heart drawn on the paper had made her a little bit ill inside. She could see how girls might look at him and see a dark and brooding kid, but Green saw an annoying little *******. She'd have to remember to ignore him more next time or something. The same pang of guilt about her new mother also hit Green when she read about May as well. Obviously the two of them had been good friends, and now she'd kind of been forgotten. That was kind of depressing. While the urge to read some more of the diary was strong, Green just wanted a moment to collect her thoughts.

A whistling tune caught Green's attention and snapped her head up suddenly. Here in the fog, where it was hard to make out the next building, noises were much more sinister. Even the pretty cheerful tune heading her sounded horribly wrong, because occasionally it would just stop for a few seconds at a time before picking up right where it left off. Finally a figure emerged from the rolling cloud, whistling a tune that was punctuated by silences where he puffed on a cigarette in his hand. Green breathed a sigh of relief. She had gotten a mental image of an axe murderer whistling that tune, stopping only to bury his axe in a skull. She must have been staring at him for a bit, because as he walked by he stopped his song and his walk and stared back. "Uh, can I help you kid?" the guy asked, raising his eyebrows. He left the cigarette in his mouth as he spoke, so it wobbled up and down like the needle on a lie detector. The man was rough-looking, and while his wrinkled brown skin spoke of a man who worked outdoors all day, his eyes were a sparkling green that reminded Green of the ocean and youth. A full black beard and head of hair obscured most of the face, and with the fog and haze from the cigarette it was hard to make out exact features anyhow.

For a moment Green considered telling the guy to shove off or something, but watching the cigarette lazily trailing smoke made her think different. "Yeah, can I bum a smoke?"

The guy stared back, as if gauging her face for a moment. Slowly the guy reached down, plucked a cigarette from the box, and passed it over. Green popped it in between her lips and looked back up to the guy with a questioning expression. The man, not missing a beat, pulled his lighter out and made a flame for Green. The man sat down as Green slowly smoked her first cigarette. Though the urge was great Green didn't cough on the first drag, on the second drag Green started to cough however and the man smirked. "I can tell this is your first time, girl. Why do you even want to get into this nasty habit?"

"Hey I've been going through a lot in the last couple of days. Give me a break, dude." Green responded casually, taking another puff at her cigarette. Already Green could feel her body relaxing, the tension being driven from her muscles as she breathed out another cloud of smoke. Wow, that felt better.

The man just nodded and continued smoking his cigarette in silence. There was a peaceful minute as the man finished his first cigarette, dropped it and lit another even as he ground the first under his heel. He pulled the second cigarette out of his mouth after a moment, breathed a cloud of smoke and spoke. "So what happened kid? Did you lose one of your pokemon or somethin'?"

"Wha?" Green didn't follow what the man said for a moment until she followed his gaze to the corner of town. Green couldn't see the Pokemon Tower clearly in this light, but she could make out the towering black outline in the fog. "Oh, sorry. No, I didn't lose a pokemon."

"Family?" the man asked simply, not taking his eyes off Green. He looked sad all of a sudden. "You really do look like the world's on your shoulders."

Silently, Green contemplated the question before saying, "Yes. A brother."

"Sucks." The man said, nodding slowly as he gazed off into the fog. "World's unfair." The man hesitated a minute, and pulled the pack of cigarettes and his lighter out. He handed both objects to a surprised Green. "I don't approve, but if it helps you cope a bit, here ya go. I gotta quit soon anyhow." Green tried to raise her hands in a politely declining position, but the man persistently thrust the bundle in his hands forward. Finally, Green hesitantly reached out and took the items. The man pulled his hand back at once, and smiled down at her. "Cheer up, little one. The sun always has to rise." With those words, the man rose and wandered off. Green would never see him again.

Green, who was about halfway through her cigarette, pocketed the pack and lighter. She watched the man go in silence as she considered what he had said closely. She breathed out a smoke ring, and smiled. "Sun always rises? So damn cliche... nice guy though."

A half hour and another cigarette later, Green felt like someone had drained the excess tense feelings out of her, leaving her feeling a bit better than before. There were hints of light at the corners of the sky, and so Green got up slowly, stretching as she wandered back to the pokemon center.

Walking into the building and gratefully shutting the door behind her, Green was about to go and sit down when a voice made her jump. "Green? Are you ok?"

Trying to keep her suddenly thundering heart under control, Green whirled around to see Janine. The older girl had a smile on her face, but Green could tell even from here that it was a bit forced. Green stared back for a minute, looking for what to say. With a mental shrug, she decided that she would just speak about what was on her mind right now. "I'm okay Janine. Are we going to talk yet, or are you going to pointedly avoid Marta again today? How long were you watching me anyhow?"

Green's expression didn't change as she spoke, but Janine's expression fell completely. She looked a bit angry, a bit nervous, and a bit frustrated all at once. "I've been watching you since a little before that man showed up. Also, what's there to talk about anyhow?" she asked, looking defensive as she crossed her arms across her chest. She seemed to want to say more, probably about Marta, but maintained her silence.

"If you're going to be like that then there's no reason to talk at all anymore, is there?" Green responded coolly, and began to walk past Janine without making eye contact. She was only stopped when Janine grabbed her arm and gently turned her around.

"Please don't, Green. I'm sorry. I've... been really stressed out for the last day or so. Can we still talk?" Janine asked, smiling a goofy lopsided grin at Green in an attempt to lighten the situation.

Green considered just brushing past anyhow and going back to sleep, but there was a pleading in Janine's voice that melted her heart. Green glanced over at the round couch all three girls had been using as a bed, and spotted Marta dozing lazily with one arm over her face. "Fine. Let's go and talk then. Do you want to take a walk?"

There was no objection from Janine, and so the two silently left and began walking through the gloomy streets. Green kept wondering if she'd have to start the conversation, but Janine spoke up first after about five minutes. "I need to know something. Do you like Marta? You know what I mean, please don't play dumb."

The question was exactly what Green had expected. "No I don't like Marta like that and I'm pretty sure she doesn't like me like that either. Honestly Marta just lacks some self confidence." Janine opened her mouth to speak, a scowl on her face, but Green cut her off. "And to answer your next question of course I still find her pretty, she's a pretty girl."

There was a long silence as the two came up on Pokemon Tower. As they stood staring at it, not meeting each others eyes, Janine finally spoke again. "That was my next question. How did you know that?"

"Look I'll just be blunt. It's probably best in these circumstances. Marta's a great girl and a great friend, but to be frank she's not always the brightest bulb and sometimes she gets a bit mothering and clingy. Sure she's also good looking, but she's seven years older than me. I'm sure she'd be a bit creeped out if I wasn't. Besides looks she doesn't have a whole lot that I'd go for." Green reached out and took Janine's hand gently. She resisted for a moment, but Green squeezed and spoke. "I like my girls with a little more personality and spunk."

Janine stopped trying to pull her hand away, but did not squeeze back as she stared fiercely ahead, not meeting Green's eyes. "So I'm not pretty then? Is that it?"

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Green considered that this is what girls were always like. Even when they were angry they were really fishing for compliments. Deciding to humor the girl, Green turned Janine's palm upright and drew lazily on the surface with a finger, which made Janine break out into goosebumps. "I don't know why you have to be like that. Didn't I tell you just the other day I liked you? I obviously find you attractive otherwise I wouldn't have ever responded to your advancements."

Taking in a deep breath and letting it out slowly, Janine shifted so that she was facing Green. "I'm sorry. It's just that you're right, Marta is pretty. Maybe I shouldn't get so upset when she talks with you and all, but... you've known her longer, and the way she treats you..."

"I've known her two days longer than you. That's hardly a long time. Honestly I think you're overreacting about this whole thing a little bit Janine. She treats me like a little sister, not like a girlfriend." Green stated bluntly, not breaking eye contact with Janine. Her voice was gentle but unwavering, and Janine could only look down at the ground, an angry blush rising to her cheeks. Once again Green was moved by Janine's expression. She seemed angry with the world, and herself in general. Deciding to throw the girl a bone, Green leaned in and kissed Janine softly on the lips, biting gently on the taller girl's lower lip before pulling away. Janine flushed completely red, and Green whispered "I think it's sweet that you get so jealous about me. But give me a little bit of trust, alright? I don't have any reason to give you up." Laying her head against Janine's chest, Green smirked when she heard Janine's thundering heart.

"I... oh... of course Green." Janine said weakly, wrapping her arms around Green. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for you to think I don't trust you. I just get so nervous sometimes. You're special to me. I'm sorry."

Smiling faintly, Green reached around to rub Janine consolingly on the back as the two stood there in the fading fog. Green suspected that Janine was crying a little bit from the way her body shook, but she made no noise and so Green just waited until she finished. Finally, Janine pulled away from Green and wiped a hand across her eyes. "Feeling better?" Green asked consolingly.

"Yeah I guess so." Janine said in a pouty little voice. She gave Green a look that practically screamed 'and don't ever talk about my little moment back there' before saying, "Well, I suppose we'd better get back right? Can't leave the prettiest girl in our group waiting."

"I'm not waiting for anyone." Green replied airily as she turned to walk back. Suddenly, Janine went running past, laughing as she held something over her head. It took Green a second to feel the draft. "You *****, give me back my hat!" she roared as she tore down the street after Janine.

As Green neared the Pokemon Center at a much slower pace than she'd started, she had a moment to marvel at Janine, who was proudly wearing her hat at a roguish angle and looking smug. She seemed hardly winded, while Green was taking deep breaths and resisting the urge to massage a stitch in her side. Janine must have been in great shape. Green hadn't realized how far they'd walked until suddenly they were running back.

As Green opened her mouth to demand her hat back, Janine suddenly snatched it off her head and threw it casually. It fell neatly onto Green's head, at such an angle that it obscured her vision for a moment. As Green pushed it back on her head she glared daggers at Janine, who was shaking with laughter. "Your face is so red!" Janine exclaimed gleefully.

Taking a deep breath, Green regained her composure. "I guess you win. This time."

Still giggling, Janine sprang forward, closing the distance between the two with a couple swift steps. "So, if I've won then are you my prize?" she asked casually. Before Green could respond, Janine was kissing her gently on the lips and wrapping her arms around Green's midsection.

Man, this girl is horny all the time, thought Green as she kissed back. There was a quiet moment where the two just enjoyed the feel of each others bodies in the cool morning air, oblivious to the world around them.

"Green? Janine?" Came a voice, sounding confused and shocked. Both girls broke the embrace at nearly the same time, and they whirled to see Marta, who was staring back and forth at the both of them. "Are... were you two kissing?!"

Green shuffled her feet uncomfortably, and she could even see Janine averting her eyes from Marta as they tried to think of something. "No, no Marta! We were... um..." Janine started, looking red in the face.

A couple passable lies passed through Green's head. some might even be believed. On the other hand, being blunt had worked out so far today. If Marta had a problem with it, might be better to just deal with it now. Green reached out and took Janine's hand. "We were making out. Janine and I are a couple, Marta. Sorry we didn't tell you earlier."

There was a minute where Green and Janine were sure Marta was going to get angry or sad or something, but both were surprised when she suddenly burst into excited giggles, which she quickly stifled behind a hand. "Oh my gosh, that's wonderful! I'm so happy for the both of you!" She walked over and compared the two side by side, as if surveying up a new car. She threw out her arms and pulled both girls into a hug. "This is wonderful news! Let's go and have some breakfast, my treat!"

"Wait wait wait, you're okay with this? Really? I thought you kept trying to get me hooked up with Red!" Green exclaimed, who was frankly floored by this reaction. 'Did she know about this already?' Green thought, thought she almost immediately pushed the idea away.

"Oh Green, I thought the two of you also made a cute couple, that's all. He likes you as well, of course. But Green, I want you to be happy." Marta smiled at Janine with her warmest expression. "If Janine makes you happy then why would I ever have a problem with that?"

Green suddenly and unexpectedly felt a surge of emotions. There was gratitude first and foremost, but there was also this surge of incredible relief. Though Green often thought Marta was a bit of an airhead, she was also one of the few people in this world who knew and liked her. She might not have cherished Marta's friendship quite as openly as Marta cherished hers, but the older girl was still important to Green. "Thank you, Marta" Green said as she gave Marta a hug, which was returned with a smile.

"Yeah, thanks Marta." Janine said awkwardly as she watched the two embracing.

Marta gently detached Green, walked straight up to Janine and swept her up in a hug as well. "Oh Janine, I'm happy for you too! I'm so glad the two of you found each other. You make an adorable couple." Janine, who looked a bit red in the face, could only mumble a word of thanks as she hugged back. Green had to stop a snicker at Janine's confused expression.

The rest of the morning went incredibly well, to Green's relief. Marta and Janine talked a lot during breakfast, and Green suspected that Janine was trying to be nice to make up for the previous day's silence. The cafe they were eating at had a wide view of the town's main road, and Green kept glancing up in case she happened to see Red. There was no such luck however, and once the meal was finished the only people Green had seen were people coming into the cafe and people walking towards Pokemon Tower to pay their respects. She considered asking the others if they wouldn't mind waiting for Red, then decided against it. Besides the fact that it would just make Janine upset, Green was sure she'd run into Red again, and running into him too early could be worse than not running into him at all. The guy had a lot dropped on his shoulders.

So Green's small party left Lavender Town in much higher spirits than they'd entered as they started down Route 8. The fog cleared away completely as the morning got brighter and warmer, and soon they could see the sky again. Green intentionally hung back a bit, letting Janine and Marta talk for a while as she lost herself in her thoughts.

Nobody was much on the lookout for new pokemon; nevertheless, Marta captured a Snubbull that wandered into their path and Green almost managed to capture an Abra before it teleported away. They even ran into a trainer, a foppish young lad with a dapper orange coat, but Janine dealt with him heartily.

It was later in the afternoon, when the three of them were beginning to near Saffron City, that Janine began acting a bit strange. She became much quieter, and for a while Green was afraid she was reverting back to the sulky jealous girl she'd been before. It didn't seem like that was the case however; she responded kindly and enthusiastically to questions, but offered no topics of conversation of her own. Finally, when Green could take it no longer, she finally inquired. "Janine, what's wrong? You've hardly even spoken for like an hour."

"I've seen the same Murkrow at least three times already." Janine responded cooly. "Every time it sees us it flies back the way it came. I thought it was just a coincidence the first time."

Green slowed her pace noticeably. "Wha? Janine, are you shittin'..."

Janine reached out and grabbed Green's arm, pulling her along until she kept pace again. "Don't stop walking at a normal pace. I'm pretty sure it's coming back in a minute. If it sees us running they'll know."

Bewildered, Green looked to Marta, who shrugged helplessly back. "Who'll know, Janine?"

"Well, I thought it was obvious." Janine said with a calm air. "The only people who want you dead are Team Rocket, right?"

They all walked in silence for another minute as they all sought for words. "Well... what do you think we should do then, Janine?" Marta asked nervously.

"When we hit the treeline, I'm going to break off from the group. Don't worry, I'll still be nearby. The bird will stop following us then, I'm sure of it. I can only imagine Team Rocket's got some trap out there for us. If you come across it, just remember to not panic. I'm pretty sure their boss wants you alive. Just, walk along and keep calm."

Scowling in annoyance, Green crossed her arms across her chest and glared at Janine. "Thank you so much for that." A black movement in the sky caught Green's eye. Sure enough, there was a small black dot, that turned around and headed back the way it had come from. Green probably wouldn't have given it a second glance.

Janine smiled as the path brought them near to a grove of trees on the road. "Don't worry. I promise I won't let anyone hurt you." As they crossed the threshold, Janine leaned down, gave Green a quick peck on the cheek and was gone in another moment. Without another word, Marta and Green set off down the path, and began a falsely jovial talk. Both were smiling happily, but each had a worried look in their eyes that betrayed the facade of pure calm. Both girls ended up summoning a pokemon, Green releasing Charizard and Marta releasing Bayleef, to take the edge off the waiting.

It quickly became apparent what the deal was. There was a sudden, high-pitched shriek, that was suddenly cut off as if someone had clamped their hand over a mouth. The two girls shared a quick glance before racing down the path.

There was a moment where the two ran through the woods where Green began to panic. There was no telling who had screamed, and the two hadn't seen Janine since she disappeared. Green began cursing quietly to herself, angry for letting Janine go without a fuss, and was so caught up in her own thoughts that she didn't notice Marta had stopped until she was pulled back by her collar. Green glared at Marta, but the older girl pressed a finger to her lips and pointed. Following the finger, Green could see five figures. The three standing figures were easy enough to identify; they turned out to be Gutman, Cairo and Cook, all crowded around a bag as Gutman dug around inside. The two figures sitting down were girls, and were bound and gagged against a tree. One of the bound girls looked as if she was crying, her body convulsing with the sobs, while the other girl calmly watched Team Rocket dig through the bag with an air of annoyance.

"Yeah, we're good. Buncha leaf stones in here. They ain't fake either." Gutman said with a smirk on his face. He drew the pullstring tight on the bag and threw it over his shoulder. "The boss is gonna be pleased. You guys take their pokemon?"

Cairo grinned as she held up four pokeballs. "Right here, Gutman!"

"Right. Now can we PLEASE get out of here? I want to sleep in a real bed tonight." Cook said in an annoyed tone of voice. "Plus, Murkrow seemed to think there were other people on the road."

"**** the other people on the road. But whatever, let's go if you're gonna be like that." Gutman said with a grunt as he stood up.

Green realized that this was going to be the only time to do something about these guys. She couldn't just let them get away with this. Turning to Marta, Green whispered "only come out if it looks like I'm in a lot of trouble. I'm gonna try and take care of this. See if you can't free those girls." Marta tried to say something, but Green simply ignored Marta as she stood up and walked boldly into the clearing, followed closely by Charizard to her right, whose eyes were darting around to the Rockets in an attempt to keep them all in her sight. "Hey *******s, drop the bag and the pokeballs or I'll be forced to waste you all!" Green shouted, pulling out a pokeball and summoning Regirock to cover her left flank.

All three Rockets jumped. Gutman, who was the first to shake the surprise off his face, was already pulling out two pokeballs. "Hey, it's that stupid little ***** again! Where's your crew, you little ****?" He snarled, looking more and more furious as he spoke. "You're the damn reason we got demoted, you little ****. I'm gonna rearrange your face!" He threw out both the pokeballs in hand, revealing his Arbok and Hariyama. "We've gotten better since last time, kid! And we've got more pokemon! I'm gonna curbstomp that damn little face of yours!"

"Easy Gutman..." Cook said soothingly, releasing his Mightyena and a Hypno. "You get too worked up. My friend does have a point though, girl. Where ARE your friends?"

"I'm by myself now." Green responded, releasing Snorlax, Breloom and Kirlia to compensate for the new opponents. With a twinge of annoyance, Green realized she only had five pokeballs. She'd put Beedrill away to take out Lugia, and she hadn't bothered to replace it. Damn. "I'm good enough to wipe the floor with you three myself though." Green noticed Marta, who cautiously poked her head out, and began slowly moving towards the tied-up girls. The quiet girl seemed to notice, but didn't make any real indications one way or the other about it. The crying girl was much too wraped up in struggling and sobbing to notice.

"I doubt that very much." Cairo said with a smirk, releasing her Sneasel and Seviper. "We've also gotten stronger. Plus you're just plain outnumbered. Now, just give us your pokemon. We promise we won't hurt you much."

"Arbok, Poison Fang! Hariyama, Force Palm!" Gutman commanded suddenly. He seemed to be done with waiting. The snake lunged at Breloom, jaws open wide, while the fighting pokemon rushed at Regirock.

"Kirlia, Confusion!" Green snapped, and Arbok was stopped suddenly in midair by a pulsing blue glow. The snake was flung back and skid along the ground a couple of times before getting up again, hissing wildly. "Charizard, Air Slash!" Charizard took to the air at once, and brought both wings together with an audible clap. A blue wave of energy flew from the tips of Charizard's wings and hit Hariyama, blowing the rushing pokemon off its feet and onto its back. It groaned as it started to get back up. "Dumb move, meathead! Why don't you guys stop being ****ing stupid and just attack me all at once?"

Growling, Gutman glared at his two companions. "WELL?! Are you bastards gonna help me or just stare and smile like a couple of damn idiots?!"

Cairo and Cook, who had indeed been watching and smiling at Gutman's misfortune, sobered up almost at once. "Oh, right. Sorry about that. We just thought you had it under control, Gutman." Cook said with a lazy grin. "Mightyena, Hypno! Attack!"

"Sneasel, Seviper, get that Regirock!" Cairo called with mad glee. Both Cook and Cairo's pokemon rushed forward, joined by Gutman's pokemon after a moment. The battle was met, and soon it grew fierce enough that it became pointless to even try and give orders.

Glancing back at Marta, Green was relived to see that both Marta and the silent girl were working on the crying girl's bindings. She looked like she was nearly going to hyperventilate, and even now she struggled frantically against her bonds, making it difficult for the other two girls to help.

Before Green could think of what to do next, there was something that gently began shaking in her bag. Curiously, she opened it and looked inside. The egg she had gotten from Claire was beginning to shake, and there were definite cracks appearing all over the shell.

"Green! Duck!" Marta's voice suddenly screamed. Bayleef, who had been walking near her master, took up a defensive position in front of Marta as Cairo and Cook swung around to see the cause of the noise.

Ducking quickly, Green felt the rushing wind over her head. Gutman had taken advantage of Green's lapse of concentration by closing the distance, and had tried to punch her straight in the face. Gutman was a large guy, and Green counted herself lucky that he hadn't got a blow in. It probably would have taken her out in one go. Green scurried backwards, moving barely out of the way of Gutman's next blow. "Run away all you want, when I catch you I'm gonna twist your damn arm off you little ****!"

"Gutman!" Cook's voice called. He sounded a little desperate now. "The girl's not alone!"

"Then take CARE of it!" the huge blond man yelled back, aiming a kick at Green who barely dodged in time. "Dammit do I have to do everything?!"

Green was feeling desperate herself as she fled further away from the battle, trying to escape from Gutman. He didn't let up for a moment however, and it was all Green could do to not get pulverized. She had considered calling over Charizard, but the last she'd seen the pokemon had been battling against Arbok, and taking her out of the fight might have meant a loss for Green's whole team. Of course, now she had a huge man pressing down on her, threatening to smash her brains in with his fist. Somehow that should have registered as more important at the time. It was right when Green realized she was out of sight of the main battle that she got sloppy for just a moment. She stopped as the shaking in the egg got intense, and a small noise made her glance down to see what had hatched. Gutman took full advantage. With a quick kick, he nailed Green right in the stomach, knocking her on her back and blowing the air from her lungs. She tried to struggle upright, but the pain from the kick was excrutiating. It made Green groan even trying to move her midsection. Before she could consider a new way to get out of this mess, a hand roughly grabbed the front of her shirt and hauled her off the ground. Green was reminded horribly of Harper as Gutman grinned wickedly at her.

"Well now. Maybe you didn't think that plan through well enough, huh? Who's gonna save you this time?" Gutman said, reaching up with his free hand to Green's face. She shuddered, not knowing in the slightest what he planned to do.

There was a flash of orange from her bag, and Green felt herself being dropped as Gutman began to scream. Looking up, Green could see a huge orange head on a relatively small body, clamping down on Gutman's wrist with a deathgrip. It took a moment to even register the pokemon as a Trapinch, but Green decided to not waste this opportunity any longer. She scooted frantically away from the large man as he growled and reared back, obviously meaning to smash Trapinch against a tree. Green fished an extra pokeball out of her bag and quickly returned her new pokemon, making Gutman whiff and stumble.

"Ohh, when I get my hands on you again..." Gutman began, rubbing his bleeding wrist and flexing his fingers as he walked towards Green.

There was a sudden flash of movement followed by a choking noise, and Green looked up to see Gutman flailing frantically to get Janine off his back. The girl's face was set in a straight line, and her eyes burned as she tightened her grip around the man's neck and squeezed. Gutman began to sputter angrily, and finally after a completely unsuccessful attempt to grab Janine the guy turned his back to a tree and rushed backwards, intent on crushing Janine between his bulk and the tree. Janine was too fast for him however, dropping nimbly off the man's back and rolling away before he collided with an audible "oof." Growling inarticulately, Gutman regained his composure and rushed Janine full-on, arms cocked back to throw more punches.

For a moment Green was going to warn Janine, but something made her stop that train of thought, probably the way that Janine simply stood and stared at her oncoming opponent. Sure enough when Gutman got close enough to throw a swing, he let out a haymaker that Janine nimbly dodged. The punch left a huge opening, and Janine filled it by stepping in, hitting the man twice in the region of his kidneys, and backing away again. Green was frankly astounded. Janine was FAST.

Gutman gripped his side in pain for a moment, but just screamed in fury as he charged again, uncaring. Janine seemed completely unconcerned as she sidestepped his attack and kicked him savagely in the back of the knee. The large man went down to one knee with a cry of pain. "You little *****s! I'm gonna kill both of you! Just w-" he started to say, but Janine grabbed him by the throat again from behind and began to squeeze.

"You are so lucky that she's here to watch me." Janine whispered to Gutman. Green wasn't sure if she was supposed to hear this part, but right now she could hear a pin drop.

There was a minute where Gutman still struggled. Janine was stone-faced as she watched Gutman get weaker and weaker, his arms flailing less and less as his sputtering died out. Finally, his arms dropped to his sides, and after a moment Janine let the man go. He slumped limply to the side, and didn't move again.

"Did... did you kill him?" Green asked hesitantly. Janine still hadn't turned to face her, and while Green was pretty sure she hadn't killed the Rocket, she wasn't 100% sure.

Janine shook her head, but didn't turn around to face Green as she stared down at Gutman for a minute. "No. He's breathing... are you ok Green? I'm sorry I broke my promise. I had to circle around the other way in the woods. I didn't think he'd just charge you like that."

Green got painfully to her feet, walked up behind Janine and put her arms around the older girl. She could hear Janine's labored breathing from here. Gently Green moved one hand under Janine's shirt so that it was resting on her stomach. The feeling of Green's cold palm on her warm belly made Janine break out into goosebumps. "I'm fine now. Are you fine?"

Janine moved her hand down and placed it atop Green's. "Yes" Janine said simply. She turned and smiled at Green, who smiled warmly back. "Now, you stay here. That was a nasty hit you took. I'll go and make sure Marta's ok. Stay put. I'm going to leave Golbat with you, just in case." Janine handed Green a pokeball, and ran off into the woods before Green could say another word.

Figuring she was due a drink, Green sat down on the unconscious body of Gutman as she dug in her bag for a bottle of vodka. Finding it, she quietly nursed it for a bit as she heard the faint noises of battle not far away. Wow, Janine was kind of scary when she wanted to be. Green guessed that Gutman was around 18 or 19 now that she could see his face close up, but Janine had beaten the crap out of him despite their age difference. Green gingerly felt her stomach and winced through the pain that bloomed from her touch. That was probably going to leave a nice bruise. Without hardly thinking, Green reached down and took a cigarette out of her bag as she reached down and dug through Gutman's pockets. She found a little bit of money that she pocketed, as well as a pack of clove cigarettes and a fancy brass lighter. Using the new lighter with a flick of the wrist, Green drew in the flame and settled back, idly smoking the cigarette as she waited for Janine's return.

Janine's return was heralded by a rythmic crashing noise coming closer and closer. Soon enough Green could see Janine running back, followed by Regirock, who was smashing undergrowth and branches as it wandered up besides Green. Before Green could even say anything, Regirock reached down and scooped her up in one arm as it made a strange soft noise like pebbles being ground together. Green looked perplexed as she glanced to Janine.

"I think it's just worried about you, Green" Janine said with a smile in her voice. "When I said I was coming to get you because you were hurt, it wouldn't leave me alone."

"Where's Charizard?" Green asked immediately. While she was touched at Regirock's sudden show of loyalty, she had been expecting Charizard to show up instead. "Is she hurt?"

"She's fine. We also captured that girl, Cairo. Charizard's watching her right now. Cook managed to get away, but he had to leave behind his Hypno. Marta captured it after he escaped. Too bad for him I guess." Janine turned and started heading back, while Regirock lumbered after her, grabbing Gutman with its free arm.

Entering the clearing, Green could clearly see the destruction left from the battle. Breloom, Kirlia and Snorlax were all unconscious and promptly returned. Cairo was indeed being watched closely by Charizard, who glared at the now terrified looking Rocket as she sat huddled by a tree. Marta was speaking to the two girls they had saved, but as soon as she saw Green being carried in by Regirock she rushed over. "Green! Oh thank god you're alright! How do you always manage to get into so much danger like that?!" she gushed as she lifted Green out of Regirock's arm and hugged her tight. Green, who was still smoking the cigarette, could only awkwardly get hugged as the two new girls wandered over. Marta held Green at arms length for a moment and glared at the cigarette. "And when did you start smoking, Green? I don't know if I approve of that."

"Um, thanks Marta, I started smoking today... maybe you should introduce me to these girls?" Green asked hesitantly, when it seemed like Marta wasn't gonna let go anytime soon.

Marta placed Green gently on the ground. "Oh, where are my manners? Green, this is Lori..." she motioned towards the girl who had been crying, who shyly waved back. She looked around Janine's age, and her eyes were still red-rimmed from the sobbing she'd done just a bit ago. She looked like a bit of a ditz, and the fact that she had long blond hair didn't help. "...and this is Tamia. They're both from the Celadon City Gym!"

Tamia stepped forward and shook Green's hand firmly as she smiled. The girl looked closer to Marta's age, with short-cropped red hair that didn't detract from her feminine features. "Good to meet you, Green. I can't thank you enough for saving us back there. We were supposed to be bringing this bag of Leaf Stones to Erika, and we got jumped. I don't even know how Team Rocket found out that we were coming this way. Where are the three of you heading next?"

"Well, I suppose we're going to Saffron City." Green said with a falsely casual shrug. She was very much looking forward to going and meeting Sabrina, the Gym Leader of Saffron. Ever since Marta and Janine had confirmed that she was in fact a psychic, and could maybe even do something to help recover her memories, Green had been waiting for an opportunity to go there.

"Well, the underground path isn't too far away from here. I know it's a little bit longer of a walk, but I insist you come to Celadon City with us. Finding a place for you to stay for the night is the least we could do. That and a good meal." Tamia said brightly.

"Oh yes! Plus, then you can meet the others! Oh, and you're such a cute little group!" Lori bubbled, smiling happily as she bounced up and down. "You can meet Erika too! I'm sure she'd be happy to thank the heroes who saved all these leaf stones herself!"

Green wanted to protest, but Marta cut in first. "Oh, of course we will! It sounds like fun!"

"Sure, why not? I'll never turn down a good meal." Janine said with a smirk on her face.

"Well... we gotta bring these Rockets to the police, right? Shouldn't we just head to Saffron?" Green persisted, not wanting to let this chance go.

"There's a guardhouse not far from here. We can just drop them off there." Tamia said in a 'don't worry about it' tone of voice.

Sighing, Green relented. "Fine, whatever. My stomach's starting to bruise up" she said easily as she walked over to Charizard. The lizard was watching Cairo, who was in turn now glaring at Green.

Cairo's voice came out in a rising shriek. "You! Get this damn mankilling beast out of my face! I'm glad we're being brought to the police, I can tell them about THAT thing! I'll make sure it's put down! I'll..."

Green's bag caught Cairo in the mouth in an upward swing, silencing the girl and knocking her head against the tree. While Cairo moaned and held her head in her hands, Green dropped her cigarette on the ground and stomped on it, grinding the ember out with her toe. "**** you, how about that? Regirock, pick her and the fat one up. We're leaving."

Marta smiled at Lori's horrified expression and Tamia's bemused one. "You'll have to excuse Green, she's very forthright."

"That's a good word for it, yes." Janine agreed as Green lit a new cigarette off Charizard's tail and pat the huge thing on the neck. Charizard simply made a contented noise in the back of her throat and continued to stare at Cairo, who didn't speak up again as she was lifted over Regirock's shoulder. Janine walked casually after Green as she headed back for the road.

Looking over her shoulder and offering an apologetic smile, Marta shrugged and gestured for Tamia and Lori to follow. Tamia came eagerly, asking Marta questions as they trudged back towards the path. Lori hesitated for a moment as everyone else wandered off, as if questioning the new company she was keeping, but reluctantly followed behind when nobody noticed that she was missing.

Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2009
    INTERLUDE-Words That No One Will Hear

The man with the sea-green eyes walked away from Green, smoking his cigarette and whistling as he strolled through the streets, towards the north end of Lavender Town. As soon as he passed the border of the town however, an immediate change came over the man. He stopped his whistling and let his face go slack as his form began to pulse and dissolve, a third eye appearing on his forehead without a sound. Black spots appeared all over his body and clothes, and the color spread like ink until it consumed the human entirely, leaving a walking shadow the width of a hair with a triangle of sea-green specks of light. It soared effortlessly over the ground, turning gently as it steered itself towards a stone wall near the foot of the mountain. It paused a ways before the wall however, its' pace slowing considerably as it suddenly wheeled around to get a good look around itself. The surrounding landscape took on a grayish tint, grass pausing mid-rustle as time slowed . "REVEAL YOURSELF. THIS SORT OF ATTITUDE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED."

There was a flicker in the air, and something black and oily slid into view suddenly, as if appearing from a hairline crack in midair. It shaped itself into a shadow nearly identical to the other, except a trio of cold blue eyes sprang to life on its face. It spoke in a self-satisfied, gloating voice. "YOUR FACTION HAS ALTERED AN OBSTACLE. THAT IS GROUNDS FOR A FURTHER ALTERATION IN THE GAME ON OUR PART."

The first shadow, much to the second's annoyance, looked around for another moment in puzzlement. "ONE OF YOU? IT WAS ONLY ONE OF YOU?"

"WE WOULD BE MORE WORRIED ABOUT WHAT THE FURTHER ALTERATION WAS GOING TO BE, WERE WE IN YOUR SITUATION." Snapped the blue-eyed shadow. It was pleased to see the the sea-green eyes turn noticeably darker on the other shadow.

"IT WAS A MINOR INFRACTION. SEVERITY OF THE INFRACTION IS TO BE KEPT IN MIND." The first shadow said, in a warning tone of voice.
    The second shadow sounded completely smug. "WE SHALL, WE SHALL... THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS FOR PIECES TO DIE OVER MINOR ALTERATIONS THOUGH, DON'T YOU AGREE?"

Before the first shadow could reply, there came a new voice. While the voices of the other shadows made the earth tremble and the human body quake uncomfortably with their sheer force, this new voice was notably softer, coming out in slow but insistent hisses like a huge snake slithering across the universe. Instead of coming from a single point, it felt like the voice was coming from all directions at once, giving the softer voice a disturbingly clear harmonic. "alterations... all factions must receive an alteration if an alteration is made, am i correct? i am new to the game."

The two shadows, who a moment ago had been seething at each other, immediately forgot their squabble. The two looked wildly about, their figures expanding as their eyes darkened. "IMPOSSIBLE. SHOW YOURSELF. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE YOUR FACTION HAS JOINED." Demanded the one with sea-green eyes furiously.

All around them, small wisps of blackness began appearing in the air, so tiny that it looked like black dust hanging all throughout the clearing. Slowly, they began to swirl together, specks flowing into more and more specks until a figure began to take shape. It started to laugh as the two watching shadows moved back noticeably from it. It was already larger than them, and getting bigger. Once it was nearly ten feet tall, it finally stopped growing, and a trio of blood-red eyes appeared on what could only be called the head. While the other shadows had neat edges, separating them from their surroundings in a crisp and definite way, the red-eyed shadow was lined with curling wisps of shadow that made it look like a smoldering forest fire. "oh yes" it said, in that same soft all-voice. "we have, as they say, bought a stake in the game."

The silence was palpable. Eventually, the sea-green eyed shadow spoke again. It sounded assertive, but also just a bit pleading. "WE DO NOT BELIEVE OUR ACTIONS NEED A COUNTER. IT WAS A TRIFLE OF AN ACTION, AND THE PIECE COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE CIGARETTES OF HER OWN ACCORD GIVEN A CHANCE."

The blue-eyed shadow seemed to consider for a moment before responding. "AGREED. SUCH AN ACTION CAN BE OVERLOOKED."

This complete change in the blue-eyed shadow did not go unnoticed. The red-eyed shadow's eyes widened, and it made a soft noise like laughter. "you were so giddy to exact your response only a moment ago. it couldn't possibly be because of myself that you are changing your mind, hmm? worried i will not make a proper alteration? worry not, i already have many ideas."

"YOU ARE ONLY HERE FOR THE DEVASTATION! CARRION BIRD!" The blue-eyed shadow shot back. The voice shook with a violent rage, and the green-eyes shadow backed away as the blue-eyes shadow's form became momentarily less focused, tendrils of shadow boiling off it like steam. It seemed to realize it has lost its cool a bit, and after a silent moment it pulled itself back to a smooth and unmarred appearance. There was a long moment before it spoke. "IF YOU INSIST ON IT, WE SHALL ACQUIESCE TO YOUR REQUEST. WE SHALL AGREE TO AN ALTERATION ON OUR PART AS WELL."

"goody goody goody..." said the red-eyed shadow gleefully as it began hopping from foot to foot, jumping in a little circle to show his obvious pleasure with the situation. It stopped abruptly and looked to the blue-eyes. "you go first. i have to think about what i wish to happen."

Silently, the blue-eyes shadow watched the frozen horizon as it considered. The shadow with the sea-green eyes shifted in a vaguely uncomfortable way after a while, and spoke in a hesitant voice that carried a note of concern. "THE INDISCRETION WAS A MINOR ONE. THE RULES DICTATE THAT BALANCING ALTERATIONS MUST BE JUST AS MINOR, IF NOT LESS."

A sudden flash of blue filled the world for a moment and went away. The blue-eyes shadow turned to its audience, and there was a definite feeling of smugness. "i HAVE MADE AN APPROPRIATE ALTERATION."

"ohh ohh what did you do? give her herpes? gave her problems getting to sleep? took another precious memory?" the red-eyes shadow asked eagerly, almost vibrating on the spot in excitement like a puppy.

"WE HAVE CHANGED THIS REALITY A BIT REGARDING THE DIARY THE PIECE CARRIES. IT SHOULD LEAD TO INTERESTING RESULTS." It responded curtly, as it turned to face the red-eyes.

The shadow with the sea-green eyes seemed perturbed by this. "WE ARE NOT SURE THAT IS AN APPROPRIATE RESPONSE FOR OUR ACTION" it replied, though it sounded resigned to the fate it had been given.

"WORDS ARE ONLY WHAT HUMANS MAKE THEM TO BE. IN THE CIRCUMSTANCES, WE COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH CRUELER." The blue-eyes shadow shot back. "BE GLAD I DID NOT ALTER THE COURSE OF THE COMET."

"my turn, my turn!" the red-eyes said gleefully, the edges of its shadowy form billowing in response to the excitement. "i have the greatest idea. oh, the greatest. so great. you both will be sooooooo mad that you didn't think it up earlier." it went on, tittering as the eyes in the middle of its face began to spin slowly.

"WELL, GET ON WITH IT." The sea-green eyes said, in a voice that sounded weary with annoyance. This eventuality had not been foreseen, and it was taxing many of the shadow's plans to their limits. "WE WOULD LIKE TO CONSULT WITH OUR PEERS."

"talking to the piece... that is a major alteration, correct?" the red-eyes asked in a low and gentle tone of voice.

"ALMOST IN EVERY INSTANCE THIS IS THE CASE." replied the blue-eyes.

"in that case, i elect to speak with another of the players on the board, and not the piece." Though there was no mouth for the thing to smile, there was definitely a feeling of smug satisfaction, hanging in the air like stale smoke.

"WHICH PLAYER ARE YOU CONSULTING WITH?" asked the sea-green eyed shadow hurriedly. It seemed suddenly alert and watchful. "INFORM US, WE COMMAND IT."

"i believe that is my decision. in fact i do not believe i am forced to tell you. you see i have read the rules too though i find them childish. i am well within my rights." The red-eyed shadow hesitated for a moment, but neither of the others seemed to have any further words to spare. The thing bowed low, still radiating that feeling of smug superiority. "good day gentlemen. i wish you all the luck in the game ahead." With little more warning than that, the red-eyed shadow burst into millions of tiny wisps of darkness, which scattered around the landscape in all directions.

The two remaining shadows hesitated for a moment. Both felt like the situation had slightly gotten away from them, and while they hated each other with a passion, right now there was something worse than either of them out there wrecking their game.

"WE MUST KEEP A WATCH ON IT." The sea-green eyed shadow said in a subdued tone of voice.

"AGREED. WE SHALL OBSERVE IT FIRST." The blue-eyed shadow responded in a buisness-like tone of voice. There was a black blur against the world for a moment, and then it too was gone.

The sea-green eyes watched the distance for a few moments, and then the shadow turned and glided into the stone wall of the mountain without even glancing back. Slowly, the gray tint drained from the world, and as color flooded back in, so did time.

There was no evidence that any meeting whatsoever had taken place.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Appreciate that for those who followed this.

Thread's still closed for being bumped.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back