• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen [GREEN]The ugliest sprites

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2022
All hail the amazing Derpazard!

Mew is horrific though, probably because its design was mostly based on a cat embryo (which is gross).

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 12, 2014
Okay, first thing. The Oddish-Vileplume ones made me laugh. Those ones are bad. But than I see Vaporeon. Just what were they thinking. Like it looks like it has a razor blade for a tail. That's all im going to say on that.
Worst: Venusaur. It looks like it is being weighed down by the plant on its back.
Best: Hmmmm... Let me take a few hours to think. Dratini. Maybe.

Okay, everyone just please look at the Geodude(?) sprite. Just... just look at that thing. Im going to leave it at that.

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
Years
I think Derpizard is by far the best
greenspr006.png

Heh, in all seriousness...

greenspr039.png

Jigglypuff looks sleep-deprived....

But I think the weirdest one is Machamp.

greenspr068.png

What?? I can't even.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 20, 2014
Three way tie! Primeape, Wigglytuff, and Mew.

Does anyone else find it funny that Mewtwo's sprite actually looks pretty good and then Mew just looks butchered?

Years
Yeah, those sprites are the ugliest but believe it or not, some sprites are close to be very accurate taking the official sugimori's artworks as reference:

These ones are: Blastoise, Fearow, Nidoking, Clefable, Parasect, Muk, Krabby, Hitmonlee, Wezing, Mr.Mime, Porygon (which is a lot better of RBY sprites), and Mewtwo, which is the more accurate sprite from all 1st Gen Games.

My 2 cents.

Years
There are so many great options. Ekans has an abnormally large mouth, which is rather unsettling. Victreebell looks like a banana. The fur of Primeape makes it look like a ball of spikes. Charizard is definitely worth mentioning. Perspective in the Snorlax sprite is way off. Those are just the highlights. d:

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Mew seems pretty awful. Its other gen 1 sprites actually look pretty good--it's sad that the poor thing got butchered so badly here.

Overall, though, the green sprites are better than I remembered them. Some of them do indeed look better than their other-version counterparts.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2022
Venusaur and Charizard both look awful. Imagine playing through the game for the first time and finally evolving your starters to their final stage... only to be greeted with those things.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 10, 2014
Gosh I haven't seem most of these in years...

I had such hatred for Venasaurs sprite, and now I remember why. haha.

Squirtle looks absolutely adorable though, like he wants a huggle. C:

Sandslash looks hilarious. And OMG. Poliwrath. hahaha. Hypnos nose looks pretty funny too. And Lickitungs expression. I just keep noticing more. x3

Overall, I think the worst sprites are Mew, Poliwrath and Horsea. The best is Arcanine, other than the absent expression he looks pretty cool.

Thanks, this gave me a laugh lol!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 29, 2014
At generation 3, they were probably all captured and forced to have plastic surgery.

Back