• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Grinding

Tree_x

Breeder
Years
  • O,.o i think i have seen this thread before but i am unsure anyways i level them in game when still playing the storyline like 10 levels higher then they need to be but after that i stop at 50

Toxicroak

Mustard
    Years
  • this is sort of wierd but to me level 100 pokemon seem noobie, i prefer my pokemon in the 90's.

unfortunately theres no item to stop leveling up.

zerwey

:3
    Years
  • Ya know, I've found that I've needed to grind a lot more in HGSS than in other games. Not sure why, but it just feels like it. I'm in the process of grinding for Crasher Wake right now. :D

I've realized that it's harder to level up and gain experience in HG/SS than in D/P/Pt. D:

There are generally less trainers and less Pokemon to grind with.

But when you're going through the game with just two Pokemon (Typhlosion and Sceptile) the need to grind is virtually nonexistent because you have two high-level Pokemon that cover each other's weaknesses with super-effective attacks.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2014
    *sigh*

Every time I have to resist the temptation to enter some rare candy cheats on my action replay and whip right through things. FireRed was the farthest I got with out them, when I got to the end of Victory Road. Hopefully I won't have to do this on HeartGold and SoulSilver. Speaking of HeartGold... maybe I will go to church as an excuse to go to BestBuy so I can get my own copy...

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • I grind so much it's unbelievable. Literally, between gym leaders I'm grinding three or four levels each time. I suppose it's harder when you have a full team, but I want to keep them at equal level and it just helps things when in battle to have a number of strong Pokemon.

I'm about to head for the Pokemon League, since I beat Clair yesterday (and the Kimono girls, and caught Lugia) but I don't want to be underlevelled as serious, important battles scare me a little. ^^;; So I'm grinding my entire team to about Lv. 45-50 before I try it. I'm using Ice Cave as a grinding hotspot, because while Swinub are stingy on the Exp, the Golbat, Jynx and Delibird are pretty good. I got my team from Lv. 41 to 43 in about an hour and a half.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2011
    i am crazy about levelling up

before the azalea gym, i levelled my pidgeotto up to level 26

and i evolved my bayleaf into meganium before the goldenrod gym

Haonn

hello, zombie ♥
    Years
  • I always grind in my games, since I used to never do it, and then I ended up in the league with every Pokemon being in their 30s, now I'm a bit of a grinding maniac, in Heart Gold I'm currently training up to 70 just for Kanto. I'm probably going to train to 100 before I reach Red..

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I try to grind to about level 35-40 before even going to Jasmine's gym. Haha. I'm a sucker for being overleveled in not just Pokemon, but any game with a level system. I don't like hard battles, I like to breeze through them. So in HGSS, I'm usually at 50-55 for the Elite Four, maybe lower because I'll be honest, I do get tired of grinding. It gets really boring after a while. I find it easier to grind if I'm online or listening to music or something.

Flan

has the bird flu.
    Years
    • Age 27
    • NYC
    • Seen Oct 15, 2017
    I always grind to around LV15-20 before the first or second gyms, so that way I stay on top for the rest of the game and don't have to grind my starter anymore. I get to have more focus on my party as well, though sometimes I just rip through the game with my overleved starter and some HM slaves.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Grinding? In HGSS? I didn't even need to train for the Elite 4. I might have taken a few minutes to train for Jasmine or someone, but that's it.

EDIT: Goddamn thread revival, why did I only get suspicious AFTER pressing that damned button.

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • I suppose I do grind too much, as I was at Whitney's with level 30+ 'mons. LOL. Perhaps it's just my lifestyle, always wanting to be on the safe side ;) <33

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • While all my pokes were in the 30's, I caught a Tauros out of Olivine, so I had to grind a heck of a lot to catch up.

And now I traded over a level 10 Weaville from Pearl, so I'm going to have to grind until like lv. 40. Should be easier though because of the boost. x)

MichaelaTheUchiha

Forever Shawol and Aileean
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't grind much since I like battling to be more of a challenge. I was high level 40s when I defeated the elite four the first time and low sixties after Kanto elite four. I did grind before Red though, but even that was to level seventies. XD Used only four level seventies and two HM slaves and won. xD

I'm currently grinding my Charizard so it'll be at level 71 with the rest of my pokemon.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I grinded way too much in HG/SS, up to the point where I was able to OHKO-2HKO most of the Gym Leaders' Pokemon with ease. I was still a few levels short when I went up against Red, though.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Eight months revival and no one noticed? Tsk, tsk, tsk. ): I'll be nice and leave it open though. Seeing as the topic is still on track, then there's no harm in this I believe.

Grinding in HG/SS takes too long. ;~;

/end mini-rant

I think that's why I haven't picked up my game in so long is because I dislike the grinding part of the game, and being me, I like to be ahead in levels and keep my Pokémon just about even. I'm still grinding though, I just need to pick up my game and start again.

edit: Ah, one person noticed. XD

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • I never needed to grind in HGSS or the originals; in fact, I felt the game was too easy. The level curve was pretty poor.

Years
  • Its kinda annoying, In HG/SS I used too go to the battle frontier and grind with the outside trainers but I'm stuck grinding at Stark mountain.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I remember once, I trained my Chimchar to evolve to Monferno before even recieving the Pokedex from Prof. Rowan.

He even mentioned something about it being evovled. I just like getting evolutions done and over with.

Back