• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Group Project - Background of the Alola Pokemon! [SPOILERS]

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Group project for you members! But first:

SPOILERS ARE HERE. DATAMINED POKEMON IMAGES ARE DISCUSSED IN THIS PROJECT. AVERT YOUR EYES IF YOU WISH TO MAINTAIN INNOCENCE.

Cool, for the rest of you - I'm planning a Daily article which quickly goes through each new Pokemon - and Alolan Form - and give at least a short paragraph on each one (or at least each line) on what they are based upon. If there's historical inspiration or the like for something, more can be written! And then we can even consider at the end things like 'how many fit a theme of endangered species' or 'how many fit the idea of island ecology', etc. A breakdown of what the name is based on is great too!

If we know things like pokedex entries, abilities, etc to draw upon, then you can write about it as well (so e.g. Silvally's Ability of RKS System --> failed experiment of Arceus (say RKS out loud)), but stick mostly to the basis for the design and name rather than additional trivia unless it is significant.

So for example to draw from an older Daily article:

#722: Rowlet
    Rowlet is likely based on the pueo, a type of short-eared owl native to Hawaii. In Hawaiian culture it is considered to be one of the physical forms assumed by ancestor spirits. It is also an endangered species.

Image: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/83/5d/29/835d295c9832b16820989501c3aa5709.jpg
    Or:
    #728: Popplio
    Popplio's name may come from the Hawaiian monk seal, an animal known to natives as 'Ilio-holo-i-ka-uaua', or 'dog that runs in rough water'. It also has a clown/circus motif, which fits in with its playful nature, red/pink nose and neck frill. Much like the pueo and Iriomote cat that the other starters are based on, the Hawaiian monk seal is also an endangered species.

Image: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...inslandi.jpg/800px-Monachus_schauinslandi.jpg
    or even:
    #791: Solgaleo
    The 'leo' is Latin for lion, and 'sol' is Latin for sun, giving the Pokémon a clear relation to the solar object. It's clear from the shape of its head as well having a rather obvious sun motif behind it.

The Psychic/Steel typing is surprising, but it fits its inspiration! Solgaleo is described as 'the beast that devours the sun, which draws from the fabled art of alchemy (the act of 'purifying' and transforming certain objects – think of the elixir of immortality also known as the Philosopher's Stone, or the art of changing base metals into gold). The sun features heavily into this practise, including in a famous written work titled The Rosary of the Philosophers. And coupled with the sun is the alchemical symbol of the green lion devouring the sun, relating to the notion of purifying metals.

In short, Solgaleo represents a notion or process in alchemy that concerns itself with metals, and hence it has found itself with the Steel typing. Its ability of 'Full Metal Body' further reinforces the relationship. Read more here.

Images: https://daily.pokecommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Green_lion_consuming_the_sun.jpg

This is an ambitious project! So I need you guys to offer up your theories on what animals/objects/ideas Pokemon are based on. I (and SM mods, please!) will update this OP with completed entries. Pick something that isn't yet done and either write out a paragraph (links to sources e.g. wikipedia are welcome) or just say what they're based on for someone else to write.

If you see something you disagree with or want to add more (even to sample entries above!), post about it as well please! Check the list or recent posts first - search the thread to see if it hasn't been done yet!

Discussion is fine too - not all posts need to be entries! Just stick to the general topic.

Disclaimer - If you contribute something that is used in the article, you will be credited. And to be even more ambitious - let's see if we can get this done before the game releases!

Image for reference (sorry but you'll have to shift through it): https://daily.pokecommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/complete-alola-pokedex.jpg

Master list:
    Spoiler:

Credit list:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Knyte

Protector of Pokemon Realms
    Years
  • More trivia-like
    #(Region)Hat Pikachu
    Although it's a small nod at other generations, it's like a collector's edition Pikachu but instead of making us buy it it's found in the wild (or as they say)! I wonder if wearing certain customized clothes affect the kind of hat the wild Pikachu wears (making it look like the Pikachu stole the hat from you)?
    #304 Wishiwashi School
    It seems wishiwashi 'shoals' more than 'schools' as shoaling is a form of defense from predators and makes it easier for them to find food as well. With shoaling they touch or keep a more packed system compared to schooling. Technically, wishiwashi may also move like a school. wherein they avoid collisions with members of the school.
    #277 Decidueye
    He sort of has a striking resemblance to the main character of Wanted (being able to bend projectiles and also the guy had panic attacks) and that guy from Green Arrow (Sorry but I don't watch it so I can't make a comparison)
    I'll add some more when I get time. Hope these are okay.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • More trivia-like
    #(Region)Hat Pikachu
    Although it's a small nod at other generations, it's like a collector's edition Pikachu but instead of making us buy it it's found in the wild (or as they say)! I wonder if wearing certain customized clothes affect the kind of hat the wild Pikachu wears (making it look like the Pikachu stole the hat from you)?
    #304 Wishiwashi School
    It seems wishiwashi 'shoals' more than 'schools' as shoaling is a form of defense from predators and makes it easier for them to find food as well. With shoaling they touch or keep a more packed system compared to schooling. Technically, wishiwashi may also move like a school. wherein they avoid collisions with members of the school.
    These seem fine to me overall! I may add a bit about the hats belonging to Ash (just to spell it out), and I wonder if wishiwashi is based also on a particular species of fish... Anyways will adjust minorly and add to the OP later!

The Decidueye one I'm not quite sold on - I feel it's off the mark (pun unintended). Much more likely based on specific owls (which have similarities in appearance and in cultures ties to spirits/the dead (hence the Ghost typing)), the archer archetype and Robin Hood (given the literal hood it has). We have something written for it and the other starters final forms already (in the recently published article about the Starters), although I may need to trim those.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • #751 Dewpider

A combination of 'dew' meaning tiny drops of water, and 'spider' which is an eight-legged arachnid. This Pokémon is based off the Diving bell spider and has the Water/Bug type combination. It crawls onto the land in search of food. Its water bubble allows it to breathe and protects its soft head.

#752 Araquanid

The name seems to be a combination of 'aqua' which is Latin for water, and 'arachnid' which are joint-legged invertebrate animals such as spiders or scorpians. Araquanid also appears to be based off the Diving bell spider which explains the Water/Bug typing. It delivers headbutts with the water bubble on its head. Small Pokémon get sucked into the bubble, where they drown.

Dewpider and Araquanid both have a brand new ability called Water Bubble which lowers the power of Fire-type moves done to the Pokémon and prevents the Pokémon from getting burned.

Knyte

Protector of Pokemon Realms
    Years
  • These seem fine to me overall! I may add a bit about the hats belonging to Ash (just to spell it out), and I wonder if wishiwashi is based also on a particular species of fish... Anyways will adjust minorly and add to the OP later!

The Decidueye one I'm not quite sold on - I feel it's off the mark (pun unintended). Much more likely based on specific owls (which have similarities in appearance and in cultures ties to spirits/the dead (hence the Ghost typing)), the archer archetype and Robin Hood (given the literal hood it has). We have something written for it and the other starters final forms already (in the recently published article about the Starters), although I may need to trim those.

yeah that decidueye was based loosely on pop culture references I remembered when I first saw him, I laughed when I read it again after I posted. Left it anyway cause it might make others laugh. x)
    Anyway, great article (starters) by the way! Couldn't find out what fish wishiwashi resembled. although Sardines have the same glisten and when a limited number of them school/shoal they like to form spheres I think. Couldn't find the article I read. i was in incognito then :( (and I find em very tasty as well)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'll take a crack at one or two:

#735: Gumshoos

Gumshoos, like its pre-evolved form, appears to be based on a type of weasel, possibly the mongoose. The name Gumshoos comes from the word "gum shoes", an old type of shoe developed in the late 1800s that was made out of gum rubber. The shoes are considered the predecessor to the modern day sneaker, and usually did not produce any sound when walking. A gum shoe, when referring to a person, meant someone who sneaked around a lot, most often a thief or a detective. Gumshoos and Yungoos's Ability, Stakeout, is a reference to this, as thieves and detectives will often stake out a place of interest to them.

The Pokemon also bears a bizarre resemblance to the US president-elect, Donald J. Trump, although it's not known if this was intentional or not.

#800: Necrozma (recently revealed to be the "Sharp Black Ultra Beast", although it was also found out to not be an UB)

Necrozma's body is mainly made up of prismatic black crystals, and prisms are used to refract white light into the visible spectrum, producing a rainbow. This, along with it being stated to have some connection to Solgaleo and Lunala, who in part represent sunlight and moonlight, suggests that Necrozma represents the absence of light, the abyss, the void, similar to how Kyurem represents wuji, the absence of Yin and Yang, which its other trio members (Zekrom and Reshiram) represent.

The "necro" in Necrozma may also be a reference to the magic art of necromancy, which involved communicating with and raising the dead. This also relates to Solgaleo and Lunala, as those two possibly relate to alchemy, another ancient magical art.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
    Years
  • You should really update the dex names and the relationships in the OP because some of them are wrong.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The OP has been updated finally! Keep them coming!
    Thanks for those! Also Nah, I'll point out that Masuda (iirc) was asked about Gumshoos and the Trump likeness - he claimed it was not at all intentional but he was tweeted it many times and admits the similarity is striking, haha.
    You should really update the dex names and the relationships in the OP because some of them are wrong.
    I have now. Note that this thread was started well before we had the dex names, let alone a full idea of what everything really was. Are you wishing to submit any entries btw?

Back