• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Growing up

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
    So i will start by sharing something about myself. When i was young(10) i was led to believe that halloween and pokemon were evil. And i was not allowed to partake in any events that included those activities. After awhile i started to question why i thought they were in fact so evil that i couldnt even talk about them. I seriously feel like that was when i thought for myself and initially experienced growing up.

Obviously pokemon isnt evil. LOL BUT what event caused you to "grow up"? Explain!

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    'When I was little it were some television channels because the animations were 'flashy' and agressive. This used to include the Pokémon anime too.

Later social media, because my parents are very careful with giving away personal information. I agree on this part. Still, I think they overreacted, they don't know much about social media and in the newspapers they only read the situations at which it went terribly wrong. So that means the chance that happens is very high immediately after your signup.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    What event caused me to grow up?

It's kinda weird to say this, but if I had to choose it would a combination between leaving PC over two years ago and going to university.
    Age-wise I practically grew up on the forums, stumbling upon here when I was 13 and left 2 months before I turned 18. Despite my age increasing every year, my mind was always stuck on forums that I'd never really do anything outside them. I felt that while I was on PC, my mind somewhat lived the same age of 14-15 and grew up slower than it should have. I lived everyday talking to the same people and it was if time barely moved. Once I left and focused on life, university as well as enjoying it myself and my mind started growing up too.

asfdtg hard to explain.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    Psh. I'm still not fully grown up yet. XD I still watch baby shows like Sofia, Chuggington and Doc McStuffins (they are adorable... LEAVE ME ALONE!!! ;____;). I also still do a lot of childish things that most adults my age don't do. I think most of it has to do with me being developmentally-delayed. I take pride and enjoyment in still being a child rather than being able to do adult like things. I mean, I still sleep with lights on, sleep with a plushie (even though it's an anime one), have meltdowns that are very tantrumy (autism) and other things.

So, to be fair... I have no idea what event led to me growing up. *shrug*

Actually, I did grow up some. I think to be honest... PC and basically the internet led me to growing up. It shaped me into a much better person who acts more mature, even though I'm still extremely child-like on the inside. I used to be totally n00bish and obnoxious around people. However, I'm slowly going back to some of my old ways. Like being a fangirl of a particular hero/fangirl crush of mine. <3

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
    Thats interesting. I also had a hand in growing up on a forum. They have changed since i was 13 though. Alot. Lol

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    In some ways I've always been far ahead of my age - academia, intuition, and blunt logic are good examples of that. My maturity and perspective can say a lot otherwise.

I guess, for me, um… I'm not fully grown just yet, but what I can say is that I've always wanted to be an adult. I couldn't wait to grow up and still can't; with it around the corner and family/friends lending a hand because of my potential it is as exciting as ever. I have people I can rely on for basic life needs while I set myself up right for a career in the very thing I've always wanted to do, and I'm out of the madhouses that are public educational facilities, doing what I gotta to do for what I need and nothing more. Soon enough I'll be living the life I want and I guess that'll be the peak of my, uh… maturing, I guess? Probably not. It's just that I miss a lot of things here and there and a dash of practicality really helps. Once I do something a couple times around I can then start applying myself towards it.

I've always bore in mind that you can learn from most every event that befalls you, and that that learning is nonexhaustive. Knowing never ends and you can't forget that.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I really am not grown up at all. I still have the mentality of a middle schooler. I just want to sit at home all day playing video games, watching anime, reading manga, and hanging with friends. Unfortunately I do have to grow up at some point, and my parents are there to exasperate the desire to grow up within me. They don't want me to waste my intelligence because they know I can do lots, but really I just am too lazy and immature to pull the get up and go out of my ass and do it. I used to wish and pray that I could grow up quicker, now I just want to go back. But this isn't a regret thread, so that's for another time. Most of the time I get bored of something and then actually do what I'm supposed to out of boredom, but I've just yet to grow bored of being free from worry and pressure of having to live my own life and provide for myself and/or others.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
    I really am not grown up at all. I still have the mentality of a middle schooler. I just want to sit at home all day playing video games, watching anime, reading manga, and hanging with friends. Unfortunately I do have to grow up at some point, and my parents are there to exasperate the desire to grow up within me. They don't want me to waste my intelligence because they know I can do lots, but really I just am too lazy and immature to pull the get up and go out of my ass and do it. I used to wish and pray that I could grow up quicker, now I just want to go back. But this isn't a regret thread, so that's for another time. Most of the time I get bored of something and then actually do what I'm supposed to out of boredom, but I've just yet to grow bored of being free from worry and pressure of having to live my own life and provide for myself and/or others.
    I felt the same way until i started my own family. Its normal to wanna grow up, but once you do there is no going back. So cherish while u can!

Years
    Thirty years and still "believe" in Santa Claus.

My best friend since high school got married several years ago. Been seeing less of him than used to.

Worst part of growing up, in my opinion, is making new friends. As a kid, was more about "Hey! Kid! Wanna play!" Just. That. Easy. At least in The Nineties.

Smoke detectors are the only ones applauding my kitchen skills.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I think the moment I really grew up was the moment I dropped out of college.

Before you think I flunked out, I was doing very well. I had a GPA of 3.6, and didn't even have to study to ace every test. During my second quarter, I just had enough. I slipped into a really bad depression, I didn't know why I was getting up every morning, and it seemed like I was rotting away on the inside, leaving the empty shell to go and muddle through the day. I hated it, and I realized that I just couldn't be in school any longer.

It took a lot of convincing, and I mean A LOT, but I finally persuaded my parents to let me drop out. I got a job, and in less than a year later, I had moved out of my parents' house, got my own insurance, and the only thing I rely on my parents on is my car (planning on getting my own this spring), and my cell phone bill. If I wasn't going to go to college, the last thing I wanted to be was someone living in my parents' basement playing video games all day because I was too lazy to find a job.

The moment I dropped out was the moment I stopped listening to other people and decided what was right for me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    To be honest, I used to be an immature brat until three years ago, when I had to move to a different city and leave my entire life behind (also the reason why I quit PC).

Being forced into solitude is what made me grow up, and I guess I'm back on PC now because I overcame those three years of hell, which seem to have changed me for the better.

Years
    I did a ton of growing up when I left home for college and again when I got married. They are more or less natural events in one's life when they ebgin to change.

Years
    I grew up too fast. I am like waaaaay more mature than most people my age. I am 18 and in school kids my age and even a year older act like their 12. Tsk tsk I really hate society. Lots of people could use a little growing up.

Shiny Bunnelby

Tolerated, but never celebrated.
    Years
    I think my biggest realization of adulthood is when one of my best friends died from a drug overdose when I was 18.

Ever since that, I took shit pretty seriously.

I grew up even more after becoming a parent, but I get to backtrack when it's time to play and share activities, so it's a nice change of pace. Housework has never been more fun when you have a toddler so enthusiastic to help.

Back