• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GSC/HGSS Bug Catching Contest

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I know judging is supposed to start today, but this is still part of GT. Can I still put up my entry? I have one caught I just have been waiting til I caught a certain mon so I can remove a certain move from the mon. Please tell me I can still post an entry.

EDIT: lmao, you guys accidentally put June instead of July on some of the dates. XD

I don't mind extending it til tomorrow, if Nathan is alright with it. And I told him to change June to July lol. Guess that didn't happen.

I don't think he'll mind, so yeah, I'll allow entries up till tomorrow night, 11:59 Central. Get entering. I don't see why we just start making GT in general 5 days instead of 3, but oh well, that'll be a suggestion I bring up in the next GT planning.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • 123.gif

499.png
    notshiny.png
    #123 Scyther ♂ (level 23)
    notshiny.png
    499.png

OT:
    5.png
    Käshi ♂ (SoulSilver, 8274/41303)
    IVs: 31/16/31/22/12/13 - Hidden Power: Ground 43
    Nature: Rash - Ability: Technician
    U-turn | Wing Attack | Pursuit | Rock Smash
    27 HP/12 Att/1 Def/16 SAt/15 SDf/10 Spd
    Caught at National Park​

I caught this sucker as part of my Bug Monotype on my German Soul Silver. It won me the Bug Catching Contest, which never happens to me, with a score of 359 points. I chose its move set with a limited availability, as I only have 3 badges, but chose it to rely on the technician ability, making the move Rock Smash much more viable. Wing Attack, with Technician and STAB, become an effectively massive 145 power!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Submissions past this point will not be accepted, as well as changes to current entries. Thanks for entering! Results will be posted as soon as we can get them done. :)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • So as to avoid editing my post, I just wanted to post that my math was wrong, Wing Attack is not a 145 power, it's a 135 power.

minime010

All food belongs to me.
    Years
  • I wish we could have these normally, not just for events. It seems so cool!

Beedrill ♂✰
    Level 37
    no. 015
    OT: Sakura ID: 60648
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Twineedle
    - Return
    - Toxic

This is my first shiny Pokemon, caught in Crystal Version. This shiny Beedrill is well over 10 years old, but I treasure the moment I caught him; it's one of my fondest Pokemon memories. In Ilex Forest, I was using Headbutt on trees near the exit when a shiny Weedle appeared. I loved the shiny animation in GSC, so immediately I knew this encounter was something rare and special. I quickly evolved my shiny Weedle by taking him around Mt. Silver. I didn't nickname him at the time, but if I would today, I would nickname him Kryptonite. It's a great song by 3 Doors Down and my Beedrill is green. He means a lot to me since he is the reason I started shiny hunting in the 3rd and 4th generations. My passion later developed into RNG abusing shiny Pokemon. You know where that got me today - I'm everywhere on Pokemon forums.

I didn't want to turn on my Crystal version to check because I assumed the battery died. I often talk about this in posts whenever it comes up in Pokemon discussions. Gold and Silver have died. I'll just be ignorant, never check Crystal, pretend it never died! My childhood has to live on...! Crystal was my favorite game because I could play as a female. I spent 160 hours playing my Crystal and I caught 250 species - Celebi being unattainable.

I'm really happy this contest gave me the courage to power on my Crystal to share with you one of my favorite bug type Pokemon and one of my favorite shiny Pokemon.​

So... Freaking... Touching! ;-;

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Alright guys! Results! <3

The winner for GSC's Bug Catching Contest is...

Spoiler:

And the winner for HGSS' Bug Catching Contest is...
    Spoiler:

Thank you all for entering! All the entries were wonderful and I hope everyone had fun with hunting their bugs. :) Emblems will be done some time next week, as both Curious and I are really busy this weekend. There will be a participant emblem for everyone regardless of which game they entered on and both winners will get an emblem for winning that's respective to the game they entered on. Thank you all again everyone! <3 If anyone would like their score to be posted, just say the word and it shall be done! Please note that because Curious is away, I am the only one that judged. So if you don't like your score, don't kill me.

Years
  • Twilightblade had this one in the bag, great job!

I love how the winners caught a Beedrill and Butterfree, our first pair of flying bugs, which is quite fitting.

Note: This was a great idea for a GT event, and a thanks to the coordinators and participants for making this a fun contest.

PekoponTAS

Game Boy Advance Fan
    Years
  • I'd love to know my score. : ) I really loved this event since I love Bug Pokemon, but I think next time it should be like in the game where there's a first, second, and third prize, because the way it is now if everyone had a complete save file with all tms available to them, it basically guarantees the winner will be whoever caught a shiny one.

Congrats to the winners. : ) Even though I didn't win, I'm still happy since I found a new way to play as Butterfree because of this contest. : )

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Congrats Totodile42 and awesome job on all the entries, folks! Aw yeah, I won a bug catching contest. 8D Kryptonite would like to say hello. He grew a level today. :)

Spoiler:

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

A WINNER!? A BEEDRILL! YAY! <3 Beedrill, so congrats to TwilightBlade and his Kryptonite! may he rest in peace

Congrats to Totodile42 and his Papillon as well, and to all the other participants your entries were great, too. @.@ dem shinies...

*cough*LargestMagikarpcontestnextyear*cough*

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Congratulations TwilightBlade and Totodile42, my poor Ariados didn't stand a chance lol. Also, thank you to Sydian and Curious. for hosting this event and to the participants for making this unique and challenging!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • We will definitely consider this again for next year, guys! Thanks for all the feedback.

PekoponTAS, here was your score:

Spoiler:

Back