• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen [GSC] What is the best HM Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2009
    Hi I'm starting to play Crystal now and I wonder, what is the best HM Pokémon?

Which one do you use? Any recommendations?

Years
    • VA
    • Seen May 13, 2014
    The best one in GSC is Red Gyarados (nn Mr. Slave). He can get you Strength and the 3 Water HMs, and since he looks bad and sucks, it's probably the most value you'll get out of him.

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
  • I usually used scizor because he can learn good HMs as well as false swipe which came in handy for catching.

hectord25

It's so Dark here
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2016
    Nidoking with surf,and strenght.
    That`s one of my favorites pokemon

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I just used Totodile and Psyduck and was able to use all the HM's except for Fly.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    gyarados, snorlax, krabby/kingler, ampharos, rydon, kanghaskan, and starmie are good HM slaves. ; D

Last edited:

Congratulations I Hate You

Used to be itman1234...
    Years
    • Age 30
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 27, 2010
    I would always catch a pidgey for fly, and then a krabby for strength, surf, rocksmash, and waterfall. I dont remember what i used for cut though >.<

Dhjona

Spriter
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 24, 2013
    i used krabby as HM slave, Furret is good one too.

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
  • Furret's my favorite HM slave. You get him early on and he's cute enough to not want to throw in the box forever anyway. XD

Pichu_War

Pichu from Johto
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    totodile because it can learn surf and can gain an advantage over chikorita when you go to goldenrod because then you can get ice punch so my usual learnset for totodile is :
    slash surf crunch and ice punch

Back