• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Guess! That! Name!

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    So, the point of this thread is to guess names for pokemon, places, and people within Pokemon Black and White that have only been revealed in japanese. So basically, guess the english names for the starters or the rivals, or whatever else gets revealed over time.

Personally, I don't want to guess the names for the rivals, but I'm really hoping that they aren't as bland and regular as they have been in the past. Such as: Ethan, Lucas, Brendon, etc. I haven't really minded the females, though they too have been pretty boring. The best name in my opinion was Lyra. However, I still prefer something a little more fantasy-esque than that.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I think that Tsutaja should be called Treequil... JK, JK.

But seriously, I have no clue. I really hope that Zorua and Zoroark get to keep their names. I don't think I can imagine any other names for them. I'd like for Pokabu to have a similar-sounding name in English as well.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I want the grass starter to be named Snivy, and I am sure that the male protagonists name is Black and the female is White as far is the future Manga goes.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    I want the grass starter to be named Snivy, and I am sure that the male protagonists name is Black and the female is White as far is the future Manga goes.
    I'm gonna say that's a pretty safe bet xD I wouldn't mind the names Blanca and Negra for some female NPCs. Snivy is good, but it almost doesn't sound devious enough...

Weber

Thats Farfetch'd
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2013
    so just as a guess im going to say frig for the fire starter... any one get it?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I made a blog entry on this earlier this week. XD

Although, I already think I'm wrong, so I'm changing my guesses to:
    Tsutaaja -> Mossnak
    Pokabu -> Flamoink
    Mijumaru -> Beaotter

As a bonus, I'm guessing Pokabu's evolved forms to be named Emboar and Blazorback. XD

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    I don't think Flamoink is good, imo. It has to be...cuter. I was leaning towards Floink.

Tsutaja --> Gartivy
    Pokabu --> Floink
    Mijumaru --> Lutrain

Hmm. I don't like Floink either. the Flame is almost too big of fire for the first evo. (Torch, Char, Cinder) Besides, considering Spoink... Spoink and Floink.

Years
    I don't see much point in guessing what the characters' names will be since we don't yet know what they're called in Japanese. Unless they're just called Black and White, but I don't think that'll happen outside the manga.

A few quick guesses: Aquott for Mijumaru. Rusleaf for Tsutaja, and Squeat for Pokabu.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    I don't see much point in guessing what the characters' names will be since we don't yet know what they're called in Japanese. Unless they're just called Black and White, but I don't think that'll happen outside the manga.

A few quick guesses: Aquott for Mijumaru. Rusleaf for Tsutaja, and Squeat for Pokabu.

Because the japanese/english names for the rivals/characters really have no corrolation. Best names so far imo. I especially like Aquott. So cute <3

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    i think they should be called
    Mijumaru (or something close- the original is fine imo)
    Sutaja (because you know little kids will never find out the T is silent)
    Pokabu
    seriously, they all work like that- just a little re-lettering so the little kids can get it

Timbjerr

Years
    i think they should be called
    Mijumaru (or something close- the original is fine imo)
    Sutaja (because you know little kids will never find out the T is silent)
    Pokabu
    seriously, they all work like that- just a little re-lettering so the little kids can get it

I know you mean well, but this scenario's not gonna happen. Out of the twelve previous starters, only one has retained its Japanese name in the English market, and that was because the pun in its name was based on Latin and Spanish roots instead of the more common Japanese ones. :P

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I don't think Flamoink is good, imo. It has to be...cuter. I was leaning towards Floink.

Tsutaja --> Gartivy
    Pokabu --> Floink
    Mijumaru --> Lutrain

Love Lutrain!

I think they will be:
    Sneave (Snake Leave)
    Calioink (Caliente Oink)
    Deprotter (Depressed Otter)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I can totally see Aquott and Rusleaf being awesome names. Squeat is okay but not as good. :3

Zoroark will likely be like Rukario in the aspect of changing like one or two letters.

Timbjerr

Years
    I actually don't foresee Zoroark getting its name changed since its etymology is Spanish and English, not Japanese...

Zorro (Spanish for 'fox') + Dark = ???

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    I think Zorua and Zoroark will keep their names. It would be kinda dumb if they didn't since their names aren't really based off Japanese words anyway.

As for the starters, this is what I've been thinking...

Tsutaja: Slitheaf (slither + leaf)
    Pokabu: Emboink (ember + oink)
    Mijumaru: Ottell (otter + shell)

Years
    Whatever they call Pokabu I really hope it doesn't have 'oink' in it. People are already annoyed that there's another pig pokemon next to Spoink and that woouldn't help at all.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I don't know about the other two, but based on the meaning of the japanese name (warm + oink) I think Gruntoasty would be a good name for Pokabu.

Back