• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Guide - Horde EV Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
Years
  • ~MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS~

Hello there! So I was seeing a lot of people don't know how to train their Pokemon's EV's via hordes, so I decided to make a guide about it!

So let's get started!

You will need the following:

• Sweet Scent - You can get an Oddish on Route 6 and it will already know the move. Alternatively, you can just get a Ivysaur from the Friend Safari.
    • Macho Brace to be held by the Pokemon you want trained. This doubles the amount given.
    • Not a must, but you can get Power items from the Battle Maison in exchange for 16 BP each. These are similar to the Macho Brace, but only reward 1 specific stat. If you are only looking to level one Pokemon at a time, you won't need these.
    • A move that hits all adjacent Pokemon, such as: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Surf, Dazzling Gleam, Heat Wave etc.
    • Exp. Share turned on (Given by Alexa in Santalune City).
    • Pokerus. Not a must, but very helpful as it doubles the amount given!

Alright so we got all of those things ready. So what now?
    Well, now we have to find a location of a Pokemon with a specific EV.
    After you found which Pokemon you need to train/grind on, you go into the patch of grass/cave select your Sweet Scent, and use it. If the desired Pokemon horde appears, battle them. If it is another one, just run. You don't want to ruin your trained EV's.
    If you have ruined it, you can always use a EV reset berry. These can be obtained by doing berry mutations (Search berry mutations on Serebii). Or you can simply use a Reset Bag from the Super Training system. They are pretty rare, but have been found out easier to obtain with a fully-trained Pokemon!

Now let's get to the list of where to train, which stats.

HP
    Spoiler:

Attack
    Spoiler:

Defense
    Spoiler:

Sp.Attack
    Spoiler:

Sp.Defense
    Spoiler:

Speed
    Spoiler:

*Notes
    • Sweet Scent will not work if it is raining.
    • I don't know if giving out links to external websites is allowed on these forums, so you will have to search. Sorry!
    • I didn't add locations for version exclusives.
    • Some hordes weren't added, because Sweet Scent can't be used in some routes.
    • For those who didn't notice, Route 12 has Mareep and Wingull. So if you are training a special sweeper, this is the perfect place!
    • Pokemon List - (2) Means that specific Pokemon gives 2 EV's each.

Anything you want to add that I left out? Comment!

*Credits
    Bulbapedia for all the information taken

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Thanks for making this. I was actually looking around earlier for info about this, but you've narrowed down the places we should go to, which is helpful.

Now if only I knew what I wanted to EV train next....

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • So, if you find a horde of 5 Pokemon which give Attack, each Pokemon giving 2 EVs, then using Pokerus and a Macho Brace you should gain 8EVs per Pokemon therefore 40 overall?

I used to EV train but it has been a LONG time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2018
    Also in the cave left of Route 7 there are Mostly Zubats and Whimsurs. Zubats for the speed seem to be more common than the Wingulls on Route 12

So, if you find a horde of 5 Pokemon which give Attack, each Pokemon giving 2 EVs, then using Pokerus and a Macho Brace you should gain 8EVs per Pokemon therefore 40 overall?

I used to EV train but it has been a LONG time.

I don't know if those Macho items exist. However if you use
    Pokerus, 5 Pokemon (1 EV each), and the Power items (Power Weight, Power Bracer, Power Belt, Power Lens, Power Band, and Power Anklet), you will get 50 Ev per horde.

Now, you are probably thinking that a lot of BP's are needed to get all these. It is not when you go to the Battle Institute in Luminose City. You always get battle points even if you don't win 7/7 of the battles. They pay good amounts too (around 11 for winning 6/7 of the battles, or getting high stars. Not completely sure on the ratio of that).

Last edited:

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • I don't know if those Macho items exist. However if you use
    Pokerus, 5 Pokemon (1 EV each), and the Power items (Power Weight, Power Bracer, Power Belt, Power Lens, Power Band, and Power Anklet), you will get 50 Ev per horde.
    How is it 50 per horde? 1 EV per Pokemon, doubled by Pokerus to 2, doubled by Power Item to 4 each?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    How is it 50 per horde? 1 EV per Pokemon, doubled by Pokerus to 2, doubled by Power Item to 4 each?

Power items give +4 EVs to whatever stat they are for. So, 1+4= 5 EVs per Poke. 5 EVs*5 pokemon=25 EVs. Double that via Pokerus and you get 50.

One thing I don't get about Pokerus: why is it considered a virus if its beneficial and has no negative impact on your Pokemon? Viruses are all pathogenic, right?

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • Power items give +4 EVs to whatever stat they are for. So, 1+4= 5 EVs per Poke. 5 EVs*5 pokemon=25 EVs. Double that via Pokerus and you get 50.

One thing I don't get about Pokerus: why is it considered a virus if its beneficial and has no negative impact on your Pokemon? Viruses are all pathogenic, right?
    Oh that's great! Does Macho Brace just double then?

Also, I saw something in the Manga which says that Pokerus makes Pokemon feel very ill for a few days but once they fight it off, they're stronger for the experience and so do better. =P

Kinda like how when you fall ill, you're more likely to be able to fight it off a second time.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh that's great! Does Macho Brace just double then?

Also, I saw something in the Manga which says that Pokerus makes Pokemon feel very ill for a few days but once they fight it off, they're stronger for the experience and so do better. =P

Kinda like how when you fall ill, you're more likely to be able to fight it off a second time.

Yeah, Macho Brace just doubles a Pokémon's base EV yield.

I guess Pokerus makes sense that way. But that's the manga.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    You might wanna add the number of EVs that each Pokemon give. Durant for example gives 2 Def EVs.
    Pokerus+Power item is the best combination imo, so Macho Brace is not a must. However, if you don't have like 4 of the same Power item to train your whole team, Macho Brace can be an option. For Pokerus + Power item the gained EVs are:
    50 EVs per horde when battling Pokemon that give 1 EV in the respective stat and 60 EVs with Pokes that give 2.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • Also in the cave left of Route 7 there are Mostly Zubats and Whimsurs. Zubats for the speed seem to be more common than the Wingulls on Route 12

I tested both, and the Wingulls were more common for me. The Whismur's appear most of the time, and Zubat only every third horde or so. Wingull has the same encounter rate as the Whismur's.
    It is a good place to train though too. I used to train my HP there on Whismur's until I found the spot with Gulpin's.

You might wanna add the number of EVs that each Pokemon give. Durant for example gives 2 Def EVs.

Yup I did.

For some reason when I grind Durant hordes for XP, my Speed stat raises as well...

I just checked it, and it's fine.
    It might be a glitch or something... But sometimes, when you add two different stats, the stat in between them sometimes looks like it was raised, but it actually wasn't. I was confused by that at first too. If it is a glitch, that's another story.

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • For those of you doing DEF EV training on the Durant and Geodude hordes, it helps to have Protect on the Pokemon in question. If you hit Protect as your first move against the Geodude, they will usually injure themselves with Magnitude and be within range to KO on your next turn with the Surf, Bulldoze, or w/e you are using for sweeping them.

The PP O-Power makes it easy to replenish PP, so wasting an attack isn't an issue, but it's SO much faster bypassing all of the Rock Blast and Rock Throw attacks you'd otherwise suffer from Geodude with the Sturdy ability.

EDIT: I forgot this on my original post too, but EXP SHARE being turned on isn't so good if you have Pokemon in your party that you don't want getting EVs of certain types with. EVs are shared as well as XP. Turn it off or take Pokemon with you that don't need EV training; Ones you are leveling just to fill your Pokedex.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I wanna point out that you do not get Gulpin hordes 100% of the time in the purple flowers on Route 5. I was EV training there the other day, and I encountered a few Scraggy hordes. Gulpins still appear most of the time, but its not 100%.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2016
    You could also do hords of Vanillite in the Frost Cave for Sp. Attack. They appear most of the time, and theres a npc in there that will heal your pokemon so makes it even easier when you run out of pp.

.Scream

Professor
    Years
  • I have a great location for you to boost to Attack:

Route 20 (Wandering Woods
    Trevenant (2)
    Guide - Horde EV Training

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • Great guide. I didn't know about the Wingull hordes they were a great help seeing how I only ever get Nosepass on route 10. Though for Sp.A I find the frozen cavern better as Mareep don't show up that often for me.

The Trevenant hordes would work except for the occasional Sudowoodo, and the mass amount of Foongus...but that might just be me.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • Great guide. I didn't know about the Wingull hordes they were a great help seeing how I only ever get Nosepass on route 10. Though for Sp.A I find the frozen cavern better as Mareep don't show up that often for me.

The Trevenant hordes would work except for the occasional Sudowoodo, and the mass amount of Foongus...but that might just be me.

Kind of an old thread... sorry.
    The Mareep are actually really good. Especially if you have a Pokemon with Static in your first party slot.
    That will make Mareep show up 80% of the time (or so).

About Trevenant, it really isn't a good place to train. I tried it. As you said, there are too many Sudowoodo's in the hordes, which gives defense.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • Route 7 s good for sp.a as the hordes are Psyduck and Roseila (2).
    Also Victory road is good for speed via Floazel (2).

They are good.
    The only problem is, on Route 7 there are too many Hoppips. It's still a decent place to train though.
    In Victory Road it's usually Geodude and the occasional Gravelar and Floatzel hordes (usually being Gravelar from my experience).

Thanks for pointing it out though ^^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back