• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Gyarados or Sharpedo?

Which water-type do you prefer?

• Gyarados

Votes: 54 62.8%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 32 37.2%

• Total voters

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Contrary to popular belief, Gyarados is complete crap in gen 3. All Water-type moves were special and Gyarados is primarily physical-oriented. Even Bite as a Dark-type move is special, and Gyarados has never been able to use good Flying-type moves. The only options for Gyarados in gen 3 that would be somewhat viable would be something like Earthquake, Return/Body Slam/Double-Edge, Dragon Dance, and uh... that's it. Lol.

Sharpedo, however, is a glass cannon in that both its physical and special stats are great so it's able to make better use of its STAB.

KingJay

That Guy
    Years
  • I prefer Gyrados, but in-game gen 3 Sharpedo is better due to the physical/special split being based on type and Sharpedo having better Sp.Atk. It's extra speed is also nice, and their attack stat is almost the same. Gyarados doesn't get a flying stab really, while Sharpedo also has dark stab. Only thing Gyrados has on it in-game is bulk, but imo who really wants bulk in-game?

Personal preference for me though is Gyrados, competitively Gyrados is better, and I prefer to use it in any gen past 3.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2016
    This is pretty close but I'd have to say Gyarados. Do in part to the fact that I admittedly have a soft spot for Gen One and the novelty of having such a weak pokemon evolve into one of the strongest was really novel back when it wasn't extremely common knowledge. Their designs are both very strong but Gyarados has a clear edge in battle.

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    Definitely Sharpedo. I like it's pre evo better, and Pedo is faster I believe. Gyrados is good for tanking some water/fighting moves too, but you gotta watch out for electric pokemon. I chose Sharpedo because ultimately i like it's design better, and I'm a fan of sharks in real life. Gyrados shiny form is kinda devalued since everyone can get one in Gen 2, but Sharpedo shiny form ain't nothing to brag about. Unless you're into pink. Which I am!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Gyarados isn't that great in gen III, though. Sharpedo isn't fantastic either, but I find it more of an interesting Pokemon and way more aesthetically pleasing, so that's where my vote goes. Kind of a shallow reason, but eh.

PokeTrekkie92

Gym Leader of Alabaster
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2022
    Sharpedo! I mean Gyarados is good but Sharpedo has that rough skin ability (And strong jaw in it's mega form) let's not forget that!

Years
  • I much prefer Gyarados' design so it gets my vote, although I hardly ever trained either of these two Pokemon during my Gen III playthroughs I don't really like Sharpedo and Gyarados just seems like a better Pokemon to me.

abarai

Howl, Zabimaru !
    Years
  • Sharpedo has been in my top 5 since it was released. Big fan of sharks and really loved the design, so it gets my vote.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2016
    I wanted to go for Gyarados since it's such an iconic and nostalgic pokémon, but had to vote for Sharpedo. I found out about two years ago that Gyarados is not actually Dragon typing. Since then he's just turned into huge dissapointment in my eyes. Who does he think he is trying to be something he's not?

Sharpedo on the other hand is super cool and has an awesome design.

Back