• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gym Leader and E4 Levels

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well the game came out and I'm a bit dissappointed the Gyms and E4 are still underleved like in GSC.

Falkner gets a decent level boost, but his Pidgeotto is still illegal.

Bugsy's 1 level boost didn't add much challenge.

Whitney is actually weaker, wow what a shame.

Morty: Exactly the same.

Chuck: Same.

Jasmine: Same.

Pyrce: Levels now match Jasmine's which is sort of a good thing.

Clair: A slight level and team change that's it.

The E4/Champ is exactly the same as before.

Now when you get to Kanto it gets better. Though not perfect, I'm glad the Kanto Gym Leaders aren't all weaker than Lance level wise.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
    Well you can rechallenge the E4 after the Pkmn league and they have new teams.
    Also you can rematch the gym leaders too. If you're looking for a new thrill.

Years
    >his Pidgeotto is still illegal.
    Not really, in Yellow you could catch them at level 7. And in D/P/Pt with a GBA game in, you can get wild Staravia and Bibarel at level 4.

>Whitney is actually weaker, wow what a shame.
    A 1 level drop doesn't mean weaker. The Miltank had Thick Fat and a Lum Berry, making it just as difficult, if not more difficult to beat her.

Now don't get me wrong, I hoped for up'd levels too, but now you can rebattle them, and they have full teams in the 50's and 60's, so it's all good.

Years
    You can catch level 7 Pidgeotto in Viridan Forest in this game. So yeah, Falkner had a way. He always has a way.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    The fact that you can challenge them later on with higher levels means diddly squat. By the time you can reface them, you will have higher levels as well. The whole reason people wanted them higher levels is because GSC being a 1HKO-fest at every single point between Azalea Town and RED was boring. I guess the rematches are great for exp. grinding, but they certainly don't add much challenge.

If it was up to me, Team Rocket's pokemon would all be 5 levels higher, while the last Rocket Executive's Pokemon would be more numerous and at least level 45.

And while people may argue that Falkner doesn't have illegal Pokemon, nobody can deny that Lance's L50 Dragonites are impossible. I heard something about an Aerodactyl with Rockslide too, but I'm not sure.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2010
    ya i know, but you have to take into account that little kids will be playing this and all they want to do is beat the game fast, lol i remember when i first got a gameboy and gold, i think i was like 9 or 10? well i remember skipping so many trainers that, by the time i got to the elite 4 in gold, my highest leveled pokemon was Meganium and Ho-Oh both at lvl 41, and in red i was in the high 40's and i was just thinking wow this is impossible lol

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
    Having gone through the game I can say what changes the gym leaders have made. There are a lot of other small changes that have been made in moves and such but I'm only mentioning the major changes:

Falkner: His Pidgeotto has Mud-Slap, Featherdance, Roost, and I think Gust.

Bugsy: His Scyther has a really strong move now (U-Turn).

Whitney: Even though her Miltank is 1 level lower than before, it does get a Lum Berry and Thick Fat and the same aggravating moveset as before.

Morty: His team has Levitate so ground moves won't even work, while in G/S/C they did double damage. Shadow Ball's Special now, so his Pokemon do A LOT more damage than in the originals.

Chuck: His Primeape likes to spam Double Team like mad.

Jasmine: Not really different.

Pryce: His Dewgong spams Rest and also knows Sleep Talk.

Clair: Dragonbreath (which each of her Pokemon had in G/S/C) has been replaced by the much stronger Dragon Pulse (which each of her Pokemon have now), she has a Gyaradois now, and instead of Surf her Kingdra has Hydro Pump.

Lance: His Gyarados has Waterfall and Ice Fang, his Aerodactyl has Thunder Fang, his 2 lv. 49 Dragonites have Dragon Rush instead of Twister (much higher base power and Physical), and his lv. 50 has Outrage. It did have it in Gen 2 but remember it went up from 135 Power with Stab to 180. It's also Physical now so it feeds off of Dragonite's much stronger Attack stat.

Red: Trust me, you don't want to know how much of a pain this guy is. Lets just say he could take any other CPU opponent from any other game, including the strongest ones (G/S/C Red, FR/LG Blue's second team, Emerald Steven's team, Platinum Cynthia's second team, Platinum rival's final team, HG/SS Lance's second team) and most likely sweep all of them.

Last edited:
    Years
    I know, Red was an extreme pain for me. I had to try three times, only because my second try he got a cricial hit on my last guy. And the rematches are not too easy, either. Chuck knows how to SubPunch.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I know, Red was an extreme pain for me. I had to try three times, only because my second try he got a cricial hit on my last guy. And the rematches are not too easy, either. Chuck knows how to SubPunch.

That's the good thing about the rematches because it shows how much the gym leaders learnt from battling you and they also become a whole lot smarter as well ;)

:t354:TG

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The fact that you can challenge them later on with higher levels means diddly squat. By the time you can reface them, you will have higher levels as well. The whole reason people wanted them higher levels is because GSC being a 1HKO-fest at every single point between Azalea Town and RED was boring. I guess the rematches are great for exp. grinding, but they certainly don't add much challenge.

If it was up to me, Team Rocket's pokemon would all be 5 levels higher, while the last Rocket Executive's Pokemon would be more numerous and at least level 45.

And while people may argue that Falkner doesn't have illegal Pokemon, nobody can deny that Lance's L50 Dragonites are impossible. I heard something about an Aerodactyl with Rockslide too, but I'm not sure.

4 out of 6 of Lance's Pokemon were illegal in G/S/C, the 3 Dragonites, and the Aerodactyl with Rock Slide. But now Rock Slide isn't illegal on Aero.

It's a bit better but I was hoping for a challenge. It would be cool if the rematches could keep going up to Level 100, imagine battling Red/Ash with all 100's.

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    >Whitney is actually weaker, wow what a shame.
    A 1 level drop doesn't mean weaker. The Miltank had Thick Fat and a Lum Berry, making it just as difficult, if not more difficult to beat her.

I think Miltank was significantly weaker - maybe just the way it was programmed, but it didn't even use Rollout once on me - not to mention my MALE Quilava had no trouble beating it... Thick Fat reduces damage from Ice and Fire, right? Well Flame Wheel and Ember were the only two attacks I used. I think Miltank's stats were lowered a lot or something. I was disappointed since I used to think Whitney was the hardest leader for their point in the game in which you fight them. (The same way I think that Winona is hardest in Hoenn - though that's all my opinion anyway!)

I kinda wish Bugsy had a Beedrill and Butterfree instead of those coccoons... LAME. XD

Guy

just a guy
    Years

The fact that you can rechallenge the Gym Leaders of both Johto and Kanto means a lot more now than what was thought originally. The basic challenge of the game really depends on the player itself. You have to keep in mind that some train more than others, and some train less than others. So, while you may have higher leveled Pokémon at that point, others may not.

Falkner having a Pidgeotto lower than normal wouldn't really be considered illegal as one mentioned before. Plus, in the rematch it regains level becoming legal, in your terms. As for Dragonite's issue at being found at level 50, that has changed since then. An event last year was held for a TRU Dragonite at level 50. So, comparing this now would have others stating differently. As for Aerodactyl, that too has been altered since then.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2010
    I think the amount of trainers and gym leaders kind of evens out the whole level issue

Years
    Like other people have said above me, all the new additions like abilities and stuff even out these level drops. Morty is probably the person I'm most worried about - now that you can't move ground moves to beat him the challenge will be a whole lot harder. I'm glad Miltank is a lower level because it was always impossible to beat.

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2011
    The re-matches are great. Whitney's Miltank is overated. I can beat it everytime.

Back