• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Leader Backstories

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
    I'l get the Ball rolling,i think the war LT. Surge fought in was the Gulf War imo,I mean the original Games were made in 95 just a couple of years after that particular War had ended.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Before Erika became a gym leader, she was a teacher that taught her students the wonders of flower-arranging. Thats a bit of back story information that I got from bulbapedia.

:t354:TG

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Brock wants to become a Pokemon Breeder. Misty took over the gym when her "sisters" went on vacation. Wonder how much longer will they be on vacation?

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
    He was the head scientist for Team Rocket or something along those lines.

Blaine was involved with the Mew/mewtwo experiments on Cinnibar Island from memory.

Grimsley from Unova has a Gambling problem, I read that somewhere but cant rememver the source.

Zeus

Does look quite like a scientist that's for sure. Didn't Jessie/James know him in the Anime and vise?

I dont recall Ash ever finishing the Kanto league, he missed Giovanni and Blaines Gyms all together and went to the orange Island?

Is that right? its been soooooo long.

Zeus

Last edited:

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    I don't recall Ash ever finishing the Kanto league, he missed Giovanni and Blaines Gyms all together and went to the orange Island?

Zeus

I don't know about Gio's, but Ash beating Blaine's gym is one of the few things I remember about my early Pokémon days.

I remember the door to the gym was really hot, so Ash burned his hands.... and then Whoooosh, the volcano is irrupting, and Charazard is flying around, and then it beats Blane's Magmar...

Other than that, the first episode, and the upside down ship that they were trapped on, I got nothing lol Oh and the giant robotic Pokémon on that island!

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
    I don't know about Gio's, but Ash beating Blaine's gym is one of the few things I remember about my early Pokémon days.

I remember the door to the gym was really hot, so Ash burned his hands.... and then Whoooosh, the volcano is irrupting, and Charazard is flying around, and then it beats Blane's Magmar...

Other than that, the first episode, and the upside down ship that they were trapped on, I got nothing lol Oh and the giant robotic Pokémon on that island!

You're right, sorry, as soon as you mentioned Ash burning his hand on the door it all came flooding back to me. 100% no Giovanni though.

Zeus

Haru

Wolf Simp
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2023
    I dont recall Ash ever finishing the Kanto league, he missed Giovanni and Blaines Gyms all together and went to the orange Island?

Zeus

Ash did fight Blaine and Giovanni i remember him fighting Magmar and needing to dodge a fire blast and i remember Giovanni's gym exploding most likely from a team rocket plot and him getting his badge shortly before

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Before becoming a Gym Leader, Fantina moved to Sinnoh from another country (possibly France). She studied Pokemon extensively and participated in Pokemon Contests until she was offered a Gym Leader position.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
    Ash did fight Blaine and Giovanni i remember him fighting Magmar and needing to dodge a fire blast and i remember Giovanni's gym exploding most likely from a team rocket plot and him getting his badge shortly before

Wow, Im not doing well am I XD, I think I need to watch them again clearly although It has been over ten years since I saw them last so I guess thats ok.

Zeus

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Ash fought Blaine not Giovanni. He fought Jessie and James since Giovanni was attending to Mewtwo at the time.

Well, Giovanni has a son, Silver, which means he had a wife/girlfriend/ONS at some point. Wonder who the baby mamma is?
    Silver could be a test tube baby for all we know. If they have monsters then that is certainly plausible considering they were into cloning anyways.

And if I recall correctly even though the science institute was shown on Cinnabar in the anime I don't think Blaine worked as a scientist since he ran the Hotel. Since the group was looking for a place to say and he was asking them riddles.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    I don't know if this is true in the Anime, but apparently (according to Bulbapedia) Pryce, the Ice gym leader from Johto had ties with Team Rocket, going under the alias Masked Man. If I read it right, It sounds like he was the one that commanded the remnants of Team Rocket to take the Radio tower.

Markichuuuuu

YouTube LP'er :3
    Years
    I don't know if this is true in the Anime, but apparently (according to Bulbapedia) Pryce, the Ice gym leader from Johto had ties with Team Rocket, going under the alias Masked Man. If I read it right, It sounds like he was the one that commanded the remnants of Team Rocket to take the Radio tower.

That's in the PokeSpec manga.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2012
    Geovanni had a mother who was the head of team Rocket before he took over.

Whitney got into the pokemon hype and found out she was really good.,

Brycen was an actor before he became a gymleader

Last edited:

jammi567

If this was TV Tropes, then I would completely ignore any common sense, try and be funny by saying that Looker still speaks funny in Unova because he's British, and that must mean that he's the Doctor.

But we're not, and thus, that theory is not true.

What I do think is true, however, is that Erika has a...'special interest'...in women, if you know what I mean. Not only does she give out the Rainbow Badge, but she also refuses to allow men into her Gym.

In other news, Elesa is not exactly setting a good example for young women across the land, and Falkner's dad abandoned him when he was a small child, which is why the guy never shuts up about him when you call him.

Back