• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gym Leader/E4 Levels

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    As you know in G/S/C the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four were too underleved.
    Falkner had a Level 9 as his highest.
    Lance the champ has a Level 50 high.

And when you got to Kanto the levels were low with Janine's Pokemon being in the 30's and most other Kanto Gym Leaders in the 40's until you got to Blue/Gary who was in the 50's.

I hope to see an increase in levels about 5-10 levels up depending on who the trainer is.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I definitely want to see some improvements in the level of the Gym in HGSS. though I shouldn't be talking because somehow I was still underleveled when I got to Claire on my Crystal BUT BESIDES THE POINT. For Falkner, put his Pokemon at least level 12-14, like the other first Gym Leaders, and go from there. Hopefully, this would put Lance's Dragonites (if he still has the same team) at least at Level 55.

The Kanto definitely need to have theirs up'd as well. I probably gained about 4-5 levels storming through all the gyms in total. Would be nice to gain more than that, so not too much training has to be put into training to beat Red afterwards. Maybe they'll have it so you can refight the Gym Leaders, and the Elite Four level goes up after the first time you beat it. -shrugs-

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sense!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2010
    I was really TICKED off by the fact that in Kanto, the wild pokemon were way too weak. That is an issue, and indeed needs to be fixed. Thank god for Mt. Silver, which was... still too weak...

My statement to Nintendo would be to have higher leveled pokemon in Kanto. Like, 30's up. Mt. Silver could have like 50's up. Good training.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    It's obvious we need higher levels, though I can't blame anyone for those stuff, cause Johto was so short and Kanto, although it was very bad planned back at the moment, was very short too. Probably because it had 2 regions in a damn GBC game. I bet that if they'll expand the gameplay, both length and quality, they'll probably make all the levels higher. Also, i'm positive they'll make the league stronger after Red or the main events of the game, regardless of the levels it'll have the first time around. Same as they did in FRLG.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    I was really TICKED off by the fact that in Kanto, the wild pokemon were way too weak. That is an issue, and indeed needs to be fixed. Thank god for Mt. Silver, which was... still too weak...

My statement to Nintendo would be to have higher leveled pokemon in Kanto. Like, 30's up. Mt. Silver could have like 50's up. Good training.

It made sense for the levels to be low though... I mean... supposing you weren't the only trainer running around the region... level 30-somethings on route 1 or two would be... rather unfortunate for beginning trainers...

Also... I think the levels will be raised... as we already know that Lugia and Ho-oh's levels are raised

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
  • It made sense for the levels to be low though... I mean... supposing you weren't the only trainer running around the region... level 30-somethings on route 1 or two would be... rather unfortunate for beginning trainers...

Also... I think the levels will be raised... as we already know that Lugia and Ho-oh's levels are raised

Thing is it's not the case, it's a game where we are the only trainer running round of significance.

The gym leaders and E4 levels were fine in the original, but the other trainers around the world and indeed some of the Pokemon were a joke level-wise.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    Thing is it's not the case, it's a game where we are the only trainer running round of significance.

The gym leaders and E4 levels were fine in the original, but the other trainers around the world and indeed some of the Pokemon were a joke level-wise.

I know that you really are the only one running around... but the point is that if you think about it... it doesn't make as much sense to have the wild levels ALL be around the 30s or even the 40s... they can be raised... but they would have to gradually get higher like they did for r/b/y/fr/lg

Ayselipera

I think they will raise all the levels of gym leaders and such.
    Hopefully that in turn will really raise the Kanto levels for when we can travel there.
    It would be really fun to face Kanto gym leaders with their pokemon in the 60s and higher.

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sense!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2010
    I know that you really are the only one running around... but the point is that if you think about it... it doesn't make as much sense to have the wild levels ALL be around the 30s or even the 40s... they can be raised... but they would have to gradually get higher like they did for r/b/y/fr/lg
    Nah. Don't forget, the only trainers you see all had like level 30's. It would just make the game that much easier.

Edit: In kanto I mean.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    It'd be stupid to make the grass Pokemons higher, so yeah, 3 years after FRLG, we get it, trainers could train a lot during this time, but wild Pokemons only...breed.

Though I won't be surprised if they would level everything up a bit, cause pretty much no one is thinking of games philosophically.

Dragonmaster91

It's just common sense!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2010
    It'd be stupid to make the grass Pokemons higher, so yeah, 3 years after FRLG, we get it, trainers could train a lot during this time, but wild Pokemons only...breed.

Though I won't be surprised if they would level everything up a bit, cause pretty much no one is thinking of games philosophically.
    Well, what would you rather have. A game that is realistic (which no game ever is), or a game that allows you to run into stronger pokemon as you progress?

Think about it like this:
    You beat the elite 4. A new region is available, along with an added story. Tougher gym leaders and trainers, and Red at the very end. The pokemon are still low leveled, and you need stronger wild pokemon so you can get through the area.

What would you rather have, strong enough pokemon to get through the rest of the game, or weak pokemon to make it more realistic?

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • I hope for them to be a little harder, but not to overpowered. To be honest, I must say LG/FR had harder E4 then any of the games, so as long as the E4 isn't that point, I'd enjoy stronger gyms and E4 on HG/SS.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well I was referring to trainers Pokemon specifically Gym Leaders and the E4 not wilds.
    I kind of agree many trainers who originate from Kanto would start their jouney in Pallet Town, so that would make sense for low level Ratatas and Pidgeys on Route 1, but at Mt. Silver high levels (high 40's to low/mid 50's maybe).

TheNerdyPotato

Feraligatr is actually a Croc!
    Years
  • As you know in G/S/C the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four were too underleved.
    Falkner had a Level 9 as his highest.
    Lance the champ has a Level 50 high.

And when you got to Kanto the levels were low with Janine's Pokemon being in the 30's and most other Kanto Gym Leaders in the 40's until you got to Blue/Gary who was in the 50's.

I hope to see an increase in levels about 5-10 levels up depending on who the trainer is.

Ho-Oh and Lugia were both raised to level 45, 5 levels more than in the original Gold and Silver. Also, the routes are coming into shape, and possibly a lot more trainers, with tougher pokemon, and possibly a few side quests that would level you up quite a bit. Now if you looked at some of the recent images, you meet up with some of the Kimono Girls, one in Ilex Forest. As we all know the original Ilex Forest is a 3 minute walk, but we could see some improvement, so I am guessing the areas have been lengthened as well as detailed. If they went to these lengths, then its possible the levels will be somewhat similar to Platinum. Also, if they keep it low leveled, or even if they don't, there is no doubt they are going to let you go through the Elite Four after the main game in Johto with higher levels, which was in the remakes of Red/Blue/Green. These are my thoughts and speculations on the levels. Falkner will no doubt stay relatively the same, and Bugsy will be higher level just a tad, and Whitney will still be a *****.

Momoko

OMGOODNESS THATS NOT TRUE WDF!
    Years
  • Yeah. I was always so dissapointed about this in Gold and Silver, especially since it was my favourite game out of all the Generations. Oh well. I doubt they will add levels to very many, if any at all Gym Leaders/E4 or trainers, as it seems they are plowing through the game and trying to make it come out on time for their release date

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I actually nerded out a while back and planned out all the Johto gym leaders' levels assuming their levels are increased... Too bad I deleted all that work. :P

Basically, all the Johot Gym Leaders get pokemon 5-10 levels higher, and this forces the E4 to range in level from 50-60 instead of 40-50 as in the original game. Kanto Gym leaders stay moore or less in the 55-65 range with Janine a bit weaker (50-55) and Blue a bit stronger (65-70). After which the E4 will be challenged again with levels from 70-80, and Red's team at Mt. Silver being boosted so that his Pikachu is lv.91.

...sounds like it would work...

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Also the Rival battle in Victory Road (and Victory Road itself were let downs)
    Silver's Pokemon were levels in between 34-38. They should be upped to 41-45 (similar to the Mt. Moon battle)
    Also, but some trainers and obstacles in Victory, and use the Kanto music not the Johto music, Victory Road is in Kanto.

Pekachoo

LOLCATS
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2009
    I went wtf when I saw falkner's lv9 pidgeotto
    and yeah, I thought the game was kind of easy b4 so I am glad they are making it harder
    I wonder if they will make red harder *dies*

Momoko

OMGOODNESS THATS NOT TRUE WDF!
    Years
  • I actually nerded out a while back and planned out all the Johto gym leaders' levels assuming their levels are increased... Too bad I deleted all that work. :P

Basically, all the Johot Gym Leaders get pokemon 5-10 levels higher, and this forces the E4 to range in level from 50-60 instead of 40-50 as in the original game. Kanto Gym leaders stay moore or less in the 55-65 range with Janine a bit weaker (50-55) and Blue a bit stronger (65-70). After which the E4 will be challenged again with levels from 70-80, and Red's team at Mt. Silver being boosted so that his Pikachu is lv.91.

...sounds like it would work...

Err...okay and where is this all coming from?
    Or are you just hoping..?

Back