• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gym Leader/E4 Levels

Momoko

OMGOODNESS THATS NOT TRUE WDF!
Years
  • Haha. Yeah, I also hope they will raise the level of trainers pokemon.c
    I found it really easy to just plow through the game without having to stop and train as long as i had a couple good pokemon :/
    I really hope they fix that..

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I just want there levels to be higher than they were.
    I would also like some people like claire and lance and a few other people to have better teams i mean she has three dragonaires

Last edited:

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
  • Well, I think they seem to be less of shying away from allowing trainers to reach high levels like it seemed they were in GSC, so it's likely they'll get a raise. I think all the Johto leaders and E4 should be a bit higher and then Kanto should continue climbing so your Pokemon are still challenged, then let all the leaders be rematched and have them levelled more.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • lol im just going to say i want them high lol
    lol andd can clair have a better team like i mean come on 3 dragonairs and a kingdra boring icebeam ice bbeam ice beam dragon breath dead

What other dragon-types do you suggest she use...without giving her third and fourth gen pokemon and not evolving her dragonairs into dragonites before lv.55?

And honestly, her Kingdra was probably the hardest pokemon in the game to beat in my experience as it has strong defenses and its only type weakness is hard to have acquired by that point in the game. >_>

Years
  • Kingdra OMG was so hard to beat. I had no idea what Pokemon to use against it.

It could have just been my Pokemon that weren't strong enough, but a lot of these gym leaders I had a tough time beating. Miltank (Whitney), Scyther (Bugsy), Steelix (Jasmine), Gengar (Morty), Kingdra (Clair), Dragonite (Lance) were all hard for me to beat. Then again, my Pokemon weren't higher than level 50 when I went to battle Lance. :/ I don't mind whether or not the levels are raised, as long as there are stronger wild Pokemon for me to battle against to get my Pokemon strong enough to beat the gym leader.

Leyt

Absolution
    Years
  • Kingdra OMG was so hard to beat. I had no idea what Pokemon to use against it.

It could have just been my Pokemon that weren't strong enough, but a lot of these gym leaders I had a tough time beating. Miltank (Whitney), Scyther (Bugsy), Steelix (Jasmine), Gengar (Morty), Kingdra (Clair), Dragonite (Lance) were all hard for me to beat. Then again, my Pokemon weren't higher than level 50 when I went to battle Lance. :/ I don't mind whether or not the levels are raised, as long as there are stronger wild Pokemon for me to battle against to get my Pokemon strong enough to beat the gym leader.

Ah, yes, I do remember a good many struggles with certain Pokemon. Honestly, I would prefer such tough opponents to be left in. After easily sweeping through D/P/Pt, I want to relive the tough battles.

Years
  • Same here, I missed out on wild Pokemon battles a lot by not going into the tall grass when I should have. I liked how Gold version gave me a challenge. If anything, they could just raise the levels of the gym leaders in Kanto.

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
  • They should DEFINITELY up the levels both in the Pokemon League and on the gym leaders, both Kanto and Johto. The game won't be too challenging if they keep all the levels the same as it was in G/S/C, since most everything was far too weak...

Fantomix

^^^^^^^^^
    Years
  • LOLOL as a kid, the levels were plenty challenge back then. God, I reset my game after 10 or so attempts at the Elite Four because it was too hard xD. (Beat the bastards with Typhlosion though.) I suppose everything will be fine; the levels in Platinum were adequate, and I don't see them taking any steps back on that. Game Freak aren't idiots.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    A rematch system would be nice. If they have that then I don't really care about the level system too much.

Talesplayer

Breeder in Training/Guardia
    Years
  • A rematch system would be nice. If they have that then I don't really care about the level system too much.

If they do implement a rematch system, it probably wont be until after the E4, but i expect there will be one, since there was one in platinum. And there will also probably be a VS. seeker, so that would be another reason to level the gyms more.

Momoko

OMGOODNESS THATS NOT TRUE WDF!
    Years
  • Haha omg. I remember hardly training and ending up with a lv72 Feraligatr that could own the whole e4 with any potions.
    I really hope they make AT LEAST only the E4's pokemon higher levelled

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • I have to say that Gyms and Elite Four has good levels, but maybe they could increase them a little.

Falkner: He has too low leveled pokémon, Pidgeotto needs more levels, even that first trainer in gym has lvl9 Spearow. This gym could be harder, lets think about Brock in R/B/Y, you needed to get something super effective move, because your normal attacks are so bad against Rock type (and Pikachu's Thundershock doesn't affect). Brock was much harder. (I have nearly always started Charmander.)

Bugsy: His Metapod and Kakuna are too bad, they should evolve or something. Scyther is bad if it uses too much Fury Cutter but it could be a couple of level better.

Whitney: She has better pokémon, Clefairy isn't so bad (but it has Metronome!) Miltank is good because it has Milk Drink and Rollout (I died so many times when I first time played Gold) but that Miltank has weak point too. It's very easy to win with Geodude. Whitney was good in G/S/C but if their going to increase other levels they have to give some levels to her too.

Morty: He's better too, Gengar is good pokémon, because it has Hypnosis and Dream Eater. Gastly and Haunters aren't so bad, because they use Curse. I think Morty is bad in HeartGold and SoulSilver because I have always won him with my Geodude's/Graveler's Magnitude, and now those ghosts has Levitate. I think Morty could be very hard to win in HG/SS.

Chuck: He's hard with Cyndaquil as starter. You can't get many electric pokémon from beginning but I beat him with Pidgeotto (yesterday I beat him with Weepinbell). His Poliwrath is good pokémon, it has Hypnosis and Dynamicpunch. And if you have Fire or Rock pokémon he uses Surf! (I think, Surf is best battle HM.) His Primeape isn't so bad, it is dead after one second.

Jasmine: They should make another Magnemite to evolve, because those are too easy to win. (Quilava Ember! Magnemite fainted!) Steelix has good level, but it's easy to win with Graveler and Quilava. This Gym Leader is first who has Potion, every other Gym Leaders needs Potion too and I think they have in HG/SS.

Pryce: Not much to say. Too easy with Quilava/Typhlosion but I don't know about other Starters...

Clair: Hard Gym Leader, finally! This one is much better than others. She's Kingdra is good pokémon (You can't beat it with Fire Starter and there isn't much Electric types in whole game). Dragonair's are good too, this Gym Leader needs always another battle in Gold, I can't beat her with my low leveled pokémons. (Wild pokémons are too low leveled, near Lake of Rage today: "Pidgeotto lvl 17... This is too easy... And what's that? This Trainer has only 18lvl Nidoking?)

Elite Four: Elite four is little too easy but I don't write about it so much.

Will: is hard with Cyndaquil as Starter. We need electric pokémon!

Koga: This one is easy with every pokémon... Needs levels.

Bruno: Easy too. You need only Water and Bird pokémon with you.

Karen: Too easy. I can beat her almost in 3 min with low leveled pokémon.

Lance: is good with his dragons. Has Fire, Water and Rock pokémon too, it makes him much better. But when we look at his Dragonite's level... It's only lvl50... It could be little better...

Kanto Gym Leaders: Every of these are too easy to win because you can use your good pokémon from Johto, but if you make them better by increasing levels, Red has almost lvl100 pokémons!

I think you guys don't like this text but...:
    So, two regions has it's bad sides too... But why can you use your best pokémon in Kanto. I think it's better to leave you're good leveled pokémon to Box. In Johto you need Badges to make you're pokémon better leveled but in Kanto you need those only for Mount Silver. I think there could be man who says: "You can't come to Kanto with those pokémon, you need to pick lower level pokémons so you can come to here". Then Kanto Gym Leaders could have lower leveled pokémon and you have those too. When you're battling against Red, he hasn't 100lvl Pikachu and you have good leveled pokémon that you have caught from Johto and from Kanto and leveled in there.

Much text... I hope someone reads this, I used time to write this...

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I think the levels were low because in G/S/C after you beat Morty you had 3 Gym Leaders to choose from, so they had to make each path equally hard so you had too many Gym Leaders with the same level Pokemon.

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
  • Well as in my youth from the originals, back then pokemon was not even half as popular as it is now. Gamefreak could have thought that the target audience was reasonably young, and that they weren't capable of being that good or smart enough to train their pokemon. Like I'd be surprised If the little kids that play can count higher than 100. Back to the point they probably thought that if they were including 2 regions to make kanto the hard one, but it evidently could be described as easier than Johto.
    Though I always wondered why Red's pokemon levels were well higher than the rest of the game. SO maybe they firstly intended to make Kanto hard but had a late change of heart.
    This is a thought correct if im wrong

Back