• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gym Leaders and Elite Four

blue

gucci
    Years
    At least we can take comfort in the possibility that they may change some of the things up before the games come out, considering the Demo was likely made up of beta data (it even lacks the flying feature is what I've read...which is interesting...I guess they added that last minute, or the Demo's coding was done earlier than I am thinking). I'm still not spoiling myself just in case they don't change it in the final version...

Hopefully. I mean it would be a great bonus for Gym Leader Rematches to make the final/full games, but for me the best discovery of the demo is the Elite Four rematches! n_n

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Ah yeah we all remember why Cynthia and Ghetsis were such threats... they had maxed IVs. Steven can now be called part of that club, but at least makes us all dread fighting that Mega Metagross of his. Tough Claws + all physical set + 30 IVs = Downright brutal.

The rest of his team is much easier to beat than Cynthia's team, though.

The problem with Ghetsis' Hydreigon wasn't so much that it had 31 IVs in all stats but the fact it had near perfect coverage. Only Jellicent could wall him.

EDIT: Note that, when I say "perfect coverage", I mean against the Pokémon in the Unova Dex, since that's all that's available to you.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years

The problem with Ghetsis' Hydreigon wasn't so much that it had 31 IVs in all stats but the fact it had near perfect coverage. Only Jellicent could wall him.
    Do we even know what set each of his Pokémon will be using? Perhaps his Metagross will have Meteor Smash (for stab), Hammer arm/Power up Punch (to use against Dark types) or Shadow claw (for use against Ghosts), and Zen headbutt (for stab). Or perhaps no Zen headbutt and instead it could get Earthquake to take down Fire types (unless one traded in Pokémon not in the dex there should be no issue with levitating/flying fire types) (Ghetsis' Hydreigon didn't have any dark moves interestingly enough). That would only leave Ground types to take care of.

Years

EDIT: Note that, when I say "perfect coverage", I mean against the Pokémon in the Unova Dex, since that's all that's available to you.

Yeah it was very hard to have something that could wall him easily in Black & White, because his type coverage included Dragon, Water, Fire and Fighting which as you said couldn't be walled easily by any Unova Dex Pokemon but I remember watching Marriland's White walkthrough videos where he used his Beheeyem and relied on hitting him with resisted Thunderbolts because he was making use of the special bulk that a lot of Unova Dex Psychic-types tended to carry while also knowing that Hydreigon lacked a Dark-type move.

Spoiler:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I have no idea, but if the Exp. Share works like in XY, then my Blaziken should be able to OHKO him with Flare Blitz because of so much leveling. :P

Years
    I have no idea, but if the Exp. Share works like in XY, then my Blaziken should be able to OHKO him with Flare Blitz because of so much leveling. :P

It's apparently been confirmed the Exp. Share will be functioning the same way it did in X/Y so there won't be many issues if we overlevel... but you have to remember that if you're one doing a challenge (such as a Nuzlocke with a self-imposed level limit) it gets that much harder because they usually discourage use of it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    It's apparently been confirmed the Exp. Share will be functioning the same way it did in X/Y so there won't be many issues if we overlevel... but you have to remember that if you're one doing a challenge (such as a Nuzlocke with a self-imposed level limit) it gets that much harder because they usually discourage use of it.

I don't do challenges. :P I'd try a monotype but not in this game.

I'd like it if it didn't make the game so easy, but I can't avoid the Exp. Share because I hate grinding the normal way.

I've never had much problem with Steven because I always pick Torchic, and Blaziken destroys most of his team. He requires a bit of a different strategy in the rematch, though, because he has a few different Pokémon.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Well over levelling can be met by the incline in levels that was originally in Ruby & Sapphire in comparison to X & Y. If anything ORAS seems to have increased the levels by one or two, but retained the same amount of team members for Gym Leaders and Elite Four members. So it's not like they've made the games any easier, in essence they've ramped up the difficulty which will hopefully compensate for the over levelling due to the new EXP Share system.

It will be even more of a challenge to turn the EXP Share feature off right from the start, this is something I'm definitely intending on doing on my first playthrough. n_n

Years
    Well over levelling can be met by the incline in levels that was originally in Ruby & Sapphire in comparison to X & Y. If anything ORAS seems to have increased the levels by one or two, but retained the same amount of team members for Gym Leaders and Elite Four members. So it's not like they've made the games any easier, in essence they've ramped up the difficulty which will hopefully compensate for the over levelling due to the new EXP Share system.

It will be even more of a challenge to turn the EXP Share feature off right from the start, this is something I'm definitely intending on doing on my first playthrough. n_n

Interesting... but I think it'll definitely be a bit more intense than the original games. Still I didn't mind using the Exp. Share in X/Y so I won't mind using it on my first playthrough here too, since I'm not one who tends to do challenges.

Years
    Don't forget that Hoenn lacks Pokémon that give massive amounts like of exp at once such as Chansey and Audino. So it might not be all that easy to level up compared to XY, even with the exp.share.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Don't forget that Hoenn lacks Pokémon that give massive amounts like of exp at once such as Chansey and Audino. So it might not be all that easy to level up compared to XY, even with the exp.share.

This is true, but if they wish, they're always able to modify already-existing Hoenn Pokémon to give that sort of experience. I could imagine them to be bulky ones, such as Wailmer and Wailord.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    It's apparently been confirmed the Exp. Share will be functioning the same way it did in X/Y

...I'm going to do what I did with X then. I'm going to turn it off the instant I get it, and only turning it on during Gym Leader and Elite Four matches. ^^

blue

gucci
    Years
    Well Mega Audino would indicate that Audino could be made available somewhere, after all the Pokedex has been expanded to cater for the newer Pokemon introduced Gen IV onwards. Not to mention that Audino was also catchable throughout Kalos.

Years
    Well Mega Audino would indicate that Audino could be made available somewhere, after all the Pokedex has been expanded to cater for the newer Pokemon introduced Gen IV onwards. Not to mention that Audino was also catchable throughout Kalos.

Don't get your hopes up yet, from what I've seen in the huge leaks dump from the demo hackers so far it appears we'll likely be following the original Hoenn Dex for the main story. Audino could still show up as a postgame encounter though.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Don't get your hopes up yet, from what I've seen in the huge leaks dump from the demo hackers so far it appears we'll likely be following the original Hoenn Dex for the main story. Audino could still show up as a postgame encounter though.

Ah, I see. Well to be honest I'd prefer for them to keep the games as original as possible, but like you said there's always room for expansion post-game. n_n

Years
    Well it was my desire that Audino wouldn't appear early, but post E4 seems my wish came true. I wanted it like that so that pre-E4 leveling would be more difficult compared to how it was in Gen V and XY, but post-E4 to make training the 700+ pokemon easier.

Years
    Yeah, I don't think they would introduce a new Mega Evolution and then not have that Pokémon findable at all in the game. Just as long as training isn't a total bore like it was in RSE (which it probably won't be given the Exp. Share from XY is back if i'm not mistaken), i'm content.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I feel that Audino would be find-able in Battle Frontier, place where Smeargle resided. I'm not sure if they'll be introducing any new location (will they?), but if they do, it's likely they might use those instead? Or, if they wish, they could perhaps even go with both, but this would make Audino more easy to find, which, as result, could decrease its value as a whole, so it might sort of be a bad decision.

Years
    I feel that Audino would be find-able in Battle Frontier, place where Smeargle resided. I'm not sure if they'll be introducing any new location (will they?), but if they do, it's likely they might use those instead? Or, if they wish, they could perhaps even go with both, but this would make Audino more easy to find, which, as result, could decrease its value as a whole, so it might sort of be a bad decision.
    From what I've seen online about the code it does have several locations not in the originals, or XY.

On topic: I wonder how they'll explain
    Spoiler:

Back