• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen gym leaders are tougher?

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
Years
  • - falkner was easy-ish, but pidgeotto's gust was a bit tough on my chikorita (bayleef now)
    - bugsy's scyther was toughhh on my poor growlithe D8
    - i'm almost at whitney.. so :3

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2012
    I'm in the process of grinding. I wasn't expecting bugsy's scyther to come flying out first at level 17, I was like @_@ WTF?

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Currently, Whitney's Miltank is raping my team mercilessly. I'm definitely going to need to grind; something I've only done, what, once?

Bugsy's Scyther also gave me some issues. Didn't stand a chance against Quilava once it learned Ember, though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2011
    Whitneys miltank was still a pain in the ass the first few times, but it was a lot simpler once i grinded a little. I got my Croconaw, Alakazam and Gengar to lvl 25 and it was a breeze. Took both clefairy and miltank out with psybeams :)

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Well they don't seem that hard to me. I remember in Silver and Crystal I had such a hard time beating Whitney. Her freakin' Miltank and its rollout got my pokemon every time. But this time ALL it took was one hit of magical leaf from my Bayleef to knock it out. She was the easiest gym leader so far.

Falkner was pretty easy too, but Bugsy gave me some trouble as in his Scyther almost knocked out my Bayleef with u-turn. He was tougher than I remember.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Their levels are higher, yeah.

I remember in Crystal, I spent 20h training 20 Pokémon to Level 50 in the grass outside of the Elite Four. What I loved about the old games was the absence of the VS Seeker. Crystal was all right since phonecalls were random; HGSS is all right, too, since the levels when you rebattle are a lot higher than the initial fight, making it unable to be spammed by saving, restarting, changing your DS date, and battling again.

I wouldn't say they're harder though. Whitney's still the most difficult, if you hate Fighting Pokémon lol the rest are easy.

Yukima

Mad Scientist
    Years
  • The Gym Leaders are a little harder, I think.

I thought Falkner was going to be easy to beat like he always was... until his Pidgeotto used Roost... and kept using Roost EVERY TURN. >_<

And I fought Bugsy in the Japanese SS and got hit with Scyther's U-Turn pretty early on in the battle. I was like, "when did Scyther know U-TURN?!" I haven't gotten to him yet in HG (will challenge him later today when I'm off work), so maybe he won't be as annoying.

Whitney, surprisingly, didn't last longer than 5 rounds when I fought her in Japanese SS. I don't remember what I did. :P

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Falkner is still easy (level 9...?).

Bugsy was really, really hard for some reason. And I started with Cyndaquil.

Whitney's easier though. Her Pokemon are the same, but lower leveled. And I took her down with Charm and Smokescreen. xD

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    They're about the same, they seem harder because the Diamond/Pearl/Platinum gyms were so easy.

pauldan00b

Veteran Breeder/Elite Trainer
    Years
  • well they made falker's team a few levels higher (cuz initially he had a level 9 pidgeotto as his strongest which was even more underleveled). they gave some gyms a few extra levels (like clair, who now goes up to level 41 rather than just level 40), but otherwise, the johto gyms are pretty much the same levelwise. One thing i noted is they gave Bugsy, whom i felt was the weakest because of scyther being his only worthwhile pokemon, some strategy in his battle. in silver, he would have the two cocoons come out first. then hed bring out scyther after those would come out. now he has scyther use u turn and send out a cocoon. i love the new gym challenge better.

Esmas

General
    Years
  • Naturally I think Nintendo would make the game more challenging.

People say it's easy because they train... don't train and see how difficult it is! XD

Teto

- - wobbuffan. ☆
    Years
  • really? i actually think they got easier. o:
    i beat whitney last night, and all of them so far were a breeze ..
    maybe i chose the right pokemon .. ?
    /slowpoke&quilava&weepinbell/
    ;O;

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
  • i didnt expect to get such a response for this post.

i guess why they are tougher for me is because i put the battle to SET instead of SWITCH

and im not evolving my pokemon.

Back