• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen gym leaders are tougher?

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
  • I agree the leaders are tougher than usual, but I haven't lost that easily. Im surprised I beat Whitney in one go as it usually takes me a few tries. But the Kanto leaders are something else, they are hard. Brock was hard for me, now im currently on my way to cerulean. With just 28 hours into, I love SS!

PS. Surprisngly enough it took me just one go to wipe out the E4, something that has NEVER happened before at all in my PKMN history!

Years
  • Meh, not really. Not to say they aren't challenging, they just didn't suprise me that much.

-Faulkner's really easy now since you can catch mareep early on (that little patch of grass wasn't there before).
    -Whitney can be taken care of with Will O' Wisp. TMs FTW!
    -Bugsy's Sycther was pretty strong, but that's the only one that stands a chance. (lol @ Kakuna and Metapod)
    -Morty can be taken down either with your own Gengar or Crocnaw's Bite.
    -Chuck? lol. I ruined him with my Sky Shaymin, since it started to obey. Don't like it? Tough.
    -Jasmine and Pryce are both weak to my new Morning Sun Growlithe. <3
    -I haven't fought Clair yet, but I'll likely have Lugia by then, so no problem.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • The johto gyms are always tough on be because of my starter. But yes I do find them a little more challenging than the originals.

Esmas

General
    Years
  • Yeah, I prefer putting the battle style to Set instead of Shift as it gives more of a challenge, and it makes me feel more realistic like an NPC, as they'll most often send out a Pokémon that isn't very smart strategically at all :3 And if you have like 3 Pokémon in your party it'll add even more of a challenge, as each Pokémon would be at a lower, more balanced level, instead of having a single powerhouse, obviously. Lastly, I don't evolve my Pokémon until they've basically learned every move that they can learn, so I probably won't be evolving my Chikorita until about Lvl. 45, while some I might even keep unevolved :D

I really hope Nintendo made at least an effort to make the games more challenging. As you may have noticed, I really love challenges x)

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • I never had any problems with the gym leaders, my Feraligator, and Ampharos destroyed every gym, (moves on them)
    And I never bothered to grind them, I just never skip trainers, so it was pretty easy, mostly 1hit every gym leader.
    Feraligator:
    Ice Fang, Hydro Cannon, Surf, Dragon Claw.
    Ampharos:
    Signal Beam, Thunder, Discharge,Fire Punch.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I think the AI is significantly improved, but they're still losers, very low levels- only Whitney gave me trouble so far.

Also, I want a Pokemon game that's harder instead, this is too easy, Red shouldn't be a problem, I can pwn him with my level 100 puretrained Cresselia from Pearl.

Elite Four Lucian

Elite Four - Psychic User
    Years
  • The game is a bit tougher, I haven't played the old school games in awhile so lol. But, I'm already at the Elite Four.. the only gym leader who gave me trouble was Whitney because she liked to use attract and it was annoying and I don't use Fighting types soooo ya. lol

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Thus far? Nah, losing to the same leaders I used to lose to. (haha, Bugsy's Scyther rocked me)

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years
  • I'm only up to the second gym, but what I've noticed so far is that Falkner's Pidgeotto went from being Lv.9 to Lv.14, but Bugsy's are the same as in the original. Can't wait to see any other possible changes. :D

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • First couple gyms got a nice boost, but I think, other than that, they've actually been nerfed quite a bit.
    Morty's Gengar is nowhere near as tough as it used to be.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • I think the AI is significantly improved, but they're still losers, very low levels- only Whitney gave me trouble so far.

Also, I want a Pokemon game that's harder instead, this is too easy, Red shouldn't be a problem, I can pwn him with my level 100 puretrained Cresselia from Pearl.
    Let me get this straight. You talk about wanting a challenge, but at the same time you're just gonna trade over a Lv. 100 Cresselia to fight the final boss?

Anyway, so far I've found the gym leaders to be slightly more difficult in terms of challenge. There's no enormous jump, but there are some improvements.

masterfun101

Bow down, noobs.
    Years
  • Probaly because your not evolving, because I always think that the Johto games are WAY lower level than the other games. Some Juggler guy has a level 2 and level 6 right after the 3rd gym on the way to National Park. And the wild Pokemon are way too low. And the E4 has like, level 40s. I wish I could have switched on hard mode...sorry for getting off topic sorta. Yes, its because you didnt evolve.

Back