• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Leaders Hope, Speculation & Discussion

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
  • So I don't know how much of you watch youtube, but I crossed a video by Verlisify. They mentioned in the Jap. Trailer, that when the student is being introduced there are 8 figures and 4 names on the wall, the tops are cut off so the names could interchange, like name on bottom, name on top, name on bottom ect. And raised the possibility that they were Gym leaders. Thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I noticed there was the name Hoku who is the name of the other boy at the end of the trailer.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • Well I don't think those are names of gym leaders, but if we're already talking about it...I really want something like Unova's first gym in Striaton, it could be your "first test"

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I was just thinking since the region is based on Hawaii, hopefully that means this will be the first region where we won't see an ice type gym leader or elite four.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • I had an idea about gym leaders the other night, I thought it would be pretty cool. What if, in this gen, the gyms were based around something other than type. Maybe they could be based on stats, and there might only be 6 (would explain the smaller map). You might see an Attack gym, and Speed gym... that sorta thing. Another idea I had would be to sort the gyms by color. Red gym, using only red(ish) Pokemon. Blue gym, purple gym... you get the idea.

I feel like this would really make challenging the gyms more difficult, as you wouldn't be able to rely on type-advantages for the majority (if not all) of the battle. Then again, type-advantages and disadvantages are a HUGE part of Pokemon... what do ya think?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's always interesting to see what combination of types the Gyms have. I'm thinking there will be a theme relating to the Hawaiian environment i.e Fire, Water, Grass, Fairy ect.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I wouldn't mind something like Unova had with the three First Gym Leaders where whom you battled was due to your chosen starter, but I'd like to see something like that with you having to battle all three.
    If we go by the same thing, a trio with fire, water, and grass Pokemon. You battle all three with the one strongest against your starter being the third one. That one has three Pokemon with a slightly higher level than the other two, both of which have two Pokemon.

As much as I understand why the first gym is the weakest, I hate when it's one or two gym trainers with a single Pokemon and then a Gym Leader with two Pokemon capping at level 12. Aimed at kids or not, Gym Leaders are boss battles and each one should be a bigger challenge than normal trainers. The later Gym Leaders tend to be noticeably more difficult than their Gym Trainers and usually have a puzzle or some sort of trick to the design; the first Gym should be more difficult than a trainer or two.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I don't think they will go away with gyms being types, but I hope there a wide variety of type combos. Like a ghost gym leader with a ghost\fairy, ghost\electric, ghost\ground pokemon

PandiRocks@17

The Mighty Hacker
    Years
  • For the first time ever, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A DARK TYPE GYM!
    This could be possible though, since Hawaii is filled with "dark" histories, but I am really expecting a Fire-type gym, representing the world's biggest volcano, Mauna Kea, which is in Hawaii. A good name for it though would be Kea itself. =)

Years
  • Gyms that change types based on whether it's day or night. I just want some day/night stuff in the games.

But really, there are enough types for them to do this. It would mean that the Elite Four would be repeating some of the types (unless their types are dependent on what types you didn't fight against in the gyms.) The gyms could have themes and decorations that work with both types (like for instance a bakery-themed gym which could be Fire and Fairy typed), and there could be different gym leaders or versatile gym leaders who specialize in two types.

But really, just give us a Dark-type so people stop asking for it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Gyms that change types based on whether it's day or night. I just want some day/night stuff in the games.

But really, there are enough types for them to do this. It would mean that the Elite Four would be repeating some of the types (unless their types are dependent on what types you didn't fight against in the gyms.) The gyms could have themes and decorations that work with both types (like for instance a bakery-themed gym which could be Fire and Fairy typed), and there could be different gym leaders or versatile gym leaders who specialize in two types.

But really, just give us a Dark-type so people stop asking for it.
    Perhaps the gym leaders won't have set types, instead using the Pokémon native to their island (or in their Island Dex if they do the split dex thing again). So the first gym leader might use the local bird and rodent.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2018
    man I just wanna see a Dark type gym

Copied post from a similar thread

I have a couple of ideas for gym leaders; One would be a dark type gym leader with a biker gang motif, with the gym looking like an auto shop, and the gym leader himself resembling Ron Perlman's character from Sons of Anarchy.

In contrast, the second gym leader would be a ground type gym leader, and would be a young girl, very (what's the word?) "Earthy." Often seen wearing a brown hoodie and shorts. Enjoys mud baths.

Years
  • Perhaps the gym leaders won't have set types, instead using the Pokémon native to their island (or in their Island Dex if they do the split dex thing again). So the first gym leader might use the local bird and rodent.

Personally I'd rather not see that because then the Pokemon you face in the gym are just the same ones you saw over and over on the routes leading up to the gym.

Splitting the dex by island makes sense though, especially if it's going to be big like in XY.

Years
  • 1) that they're actually a challenge

2) see 1)

Type advantages are not hard for veteran players, the only challenge is a level curve, because increasing the AI further could make the game nigh-broken (them predicting your moves would be totally unfair and would discourage newer players). This could be fixed with different difficulty modes in-game if they do that, however.

I also would like a change-up for gyms, but anything besides basing on types would take away from the game. Basing on stats doesn't make too much sense. Grass has a weakness, but the attack stat doesn't really, because different Pokemon have different stats. Not to say that maybe stat-based trainers as some sort of challenge in the game would be fun, but I don't see gyms basing on stats rather than type.

stzy

the battlefield got weird.
    Years
  • What about a forest gym; maybe grass, water and ground combined. Or as somebody else said (I think) a volcano gym (fire, rock and ground). I guess that really limits it though, eh?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • What about a forest gym; maybe grass, water and ground combined. Or as somebody else said (I think) a volcano gym (fire, rock and ground). I guess that really limits it though, eh?
    This makes me want a locked gym.
    Like the Elite 4, once you enter you can't leave without having to start over. Maybe the gym itself has a couple of different types to really challenge the player.

I like how most of the ideas that aren't centered on a singular type are meant to increase difficulty lol.

Back