• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gym Leaders

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    Well, many of us have beaten hg/ss by now. So how many tries did it take you to beat the leaders.my progress.
    Falkner swept with quilava
    Bugsy swept with quilava
    Whitney no sweep, but still easy
    Morty, almost lost, killed himself with curse
    The fight guy, forgot his name, swept with Typhlowsion
    Jamsemine swept with Typhlowsion
    Pryce swept with Typhlowsion
    Clair took five tries before I won with Roselia
    Brock was swept with Roserade
    Misty was swept with Roserade
    Erica was swept with Typhlowsion
    Lt. Surge was swet by Typhlowsion
    Sabrina wasn't a sweep, but no trouble
    Janine was swept with Pidgeot
    Blaine was swept with Empoleon
    Blue was no sweep, but no trouble.
    How did you do agaisnt gym leaders?

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    If I recall correctly, very few of them took me more than one try. Ironically, I defeated Leaders like Whitney, which seem to give everyone trouble, on my first try; and struggled a little bit on Leaders like Chuck, which are generally considered pretty easy to beat.

Yono

Creepin' and Crawlin'
    Years
    The only Gym Leader that I really had problems with were Claire, as I didn't carry and Ice or Dragon-type on me and Sabrina(was low on Dark attacks).

Red was another, but he's not a Gym Leader. :P

Antic.x.Fantasia

-Original D r o p o u t B o y;
    Years
    The only Gym Leader that I really had problems with were Claire, as I didn't carry and Ice or Dragon-type on me and Sabrina(was low on Dark attacks).

Red was another, but he's not a Gym Leader. :P

As a person training Fire, Electric, Fighting, and a Dark type Pokemon at that point, Claire was absolutely dreadful. She's the sole reason for my putting a Lapras into my HG/SS team.

Emperte

はがねタイプ
    Years
    Claire was hardly a problem. A good level'd Feraligatr's Ice Fang made quick work of her Dragonair, Kingdra was no match for my Sunflora (yes, a Sunflora) and Gyarados vs Steelix was just fun...Stone Edge xD

I think the only Gym Leaders to give me some issues were Blue and Erika.

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
    Faulkner- Beaten with Mareep <3
    Bugsy- Took me a couple tries, that deng Scyther and its U-Turn..
    Whitney- Bout 3 times? Stupid attract Miltank.
    Morty- No sweep, but my Kadabra got most of them, even the Gengar!
    Chuck- Swept with Kadabra
    Jasmine- Bit of a problem as I had no Fire types, but I just got through with Potions ect.
    Pryce- Same as Jasmine, just got through <33
    Clair- SPAM MY FERALIGATR'S ICE FANG <3
    Surge- Nidokings' Earth Power FTW!
    Sabrina- Yay for Umbreon <3
    Erika- SPAM FERALIGATR'S ICE FANG <3
    Misty- Swept with Ampharos <3
    Janine- Hello Alakazam. BAM! <3
    Brock- Beaten with Feraligatr <3
    Blaine- Too easy for my aligator <3
    Douche Gary- Tough battle, but Alakazam shone and destroyed <3

Starchomp

Avid Gambler
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2014
    all of the gym leaders were really easy. Now the elite four, they were tough!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Falkner: swept easily by starter Pokemon (Totodile in HG, Quilava in SS) and Mareep
    Bugsy: swept by Larvitar
    Whitney: her Miltank was tough.
    Morty: he was okay, thanks to Scizor
    Chuck: he was okay.
    Jasmine: easy
    Pryce: easy
    Claire: Kingdra wasn't as hard due to having my own Kingdra in HG.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Gym Leaders

-I made him cry when he got beat by my Bayleef, how embarrassing for him :D

Gym Leaders

-I have always had problems with her him in the past games, but since I had a Pidgeotto the battle seemed a bit easier.
    Gym Leaders

-NOT THIS TIME COW LOVER! I came prepared! I completely overleveled Bayleef and Pidgeotto and evolved them into Meganium and Pidgeot! I crushed her with my mighty team! Muuwhhaaaa!! This was also the time I bought Dratini from the Game Cornner (I loathe voltorb flip, and I couldnt wait until blackthorn to get one lol)

Gym Leaders

-Ohhhh boy, it wasnt hard, but it wasnt easy. I dislike his Gengar very much.

Gym Leaders

-Easy win with Pidgeot and Dragonair :D

Gym Leaders

-Im pretty sure she fed her Steelix steroids before our battle. That thing was a mofo to beat.

Gym Leaders

-Hey! Hey you! Yeah you with the cane and the completely new and improved sprite! Eat dirt and die!! I hated this battle sooooooo much. Not only because the majority of my team were weak to ice, but because my attacks kept missing! Ughhhh

Gym Leaders

-Hahaha okay okay. You want to know something funny? I used my level 45 Dragonair against her entire team. BEST BATTLE EVER. Lol I just thought that was funny xD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I wiped out every single one of them on my first try. My female Geodude/Graveler proved extremely useful for the first three, delivering super effective hits against Falkner and Bugsy and resisting everything Whitney's Miltank tried to throw at me :) Meowth with Technician and Bite made quick work of Morty.

By the time I faced the others, I had assembled a nice, powerful team of Pokemon that made the rest of them fall with ease.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I grind before every gym so I only need to battle each one once.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    7 down and 8 to go on HG....

Falkner: Took him down with Quilava while training my Mareep by sending it out first and switching it with Quilava.
    Bugsy: [Am I the only person who always knew Bugsy was a guy?] Swept him with Quilava. Caterpie.....feel the wrath of Flame Wheel! Mwuhahaha!
    Whitney: Her miltank was one heck of a cow to take down but several super potions and a few well placed attacks later... I sent her crying and I had to wait for her to get over her hissy fit so I could get my badge D:<
    Morty: Hate that Gengar. But I still managed to survive it somehow. I dodged a Hypnosis and my Flaaffy dived in for the kill!
    Chuck: His Primeape was a bit of a bother for me as I had no Psychic or Flying types... his Poliwrath went down with a few Thunderpunches from my newly evolved Ampharos though :3
    Jasmine: That Steelix was on freaking steroids or something. Still took it down with Quilava's Flame Wheel though.
    Pryce: Piece of cake. Ampharos for his water types + Quilava for his ice types = Death to the old man's Pokémunz!

Yet to battle Clair. I've heard she's tough so I'm gonna be very well prepared >:3

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
    Years
    7 down and 8 to go on HG....

Falkner: Took him down with Quilava while training my Mareep by sending it out first and switching it with Quilava.
    Bugsy: [Am I the only person who always knew Bugsy was a guy?] Swept him with Quilava. Caterpie.....feel the wrath of Flame Wheel! Mwuhahaha!
    Whitney: Her miltank was one heck of a cow to take down but several super potions and a few well placed attacks later... I sent her crying and I had to wait for her to get over her hissy fit so I could get my badge D:<
    Morty: Hate that Gengar. But I still managed to survive it somehow. I dodged a Hypnosis and my Flaaffy dived in for the kill!
    Chuck: His Primeape was a bit of a bother for me as I had no Psychic or Flying types... his Poliwrath went down with a few Thunderpunches from my newly evolved Ampharos though :3
    Jasmine: That Steelix was on freaking steroids or something. Still took it down with Quilava's Flame Wheel though.
    Pryce: Piece of cake. Ampharos for his water types + Quilava for his ice types = Death to the old man's Pokémunz!

Yet to battle Clair. I've heard she's tough so I'm gonna be very well prepared >:3

Find a Jynx in the Ice Cave, she's uber pro with her Psychic/Ice combo. :D
    Jynx should take care of Claire and the rest of the trainers in that Gym.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2011
    The only gym where I had trouble with was Whitney's. Stupid resting cow. Claire was a slight toughie too, cause I don't use dragon pokemon, and my main poke was Typhlosion then. I got though most gym leaders with ease, and have never died in a battle till Red. mofo red.

Years
    Most of the Johto leaders were a pushover despite me having an undertrained team because Butterfree was my best pokemon and Sleep Powder is extremely useful (especially against Miltank). But I had to battle Claire twice because I only had 1 pokemon that was at a higher level than Dragonaire, that's my level 40 Typhlosion. He got swept by Kingdra though :( But I managed to defeat Claire with a team of

L40 Typhlosion
    L38 Butterfree
    L37 Togetic
    L35 Ampharos
    L32 Red Gyarados
    L25 Pidgeotto

and 3 hyperpotions. Man that was a very long battle. Kingdra was hell.

Haven't battled Kanto Gym Leaders yet.. Still got lots of training to do before the Elite Four >.<

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
    Falkner - I don't even know how he even became a Gym Leader in the first place. His team is incredibly easy to take down (unless you're using Grass or Bug-types). I used my Geodude, who left the battle completely unscathed.

Bugsy - That Scyther is freaking annoying. Fortunately for me, I defeated it in one hit thanks to my Zubat's critical with Wing Attack. The rest of his team is a joke.

Whitney - Holy cow (no pun intended)... that Miltank is the most irritating thing ever to walk the Pokémon world. Clefairy goes down easily, but Miltank puts up a fight. I had to spam Rock Smash excessively, since I didn't have a Fighting-type at my disposal.

Morty - Pretty simple, except for that Gengar. Swear to God, that thing was probably tripping on acid. I mean, it was even faster than my Golbat, whose speed is through the roof. Needless to say, I spammed Bite and won handily. The rest of his team fell victim to my Kadabra's Confusion.

Chuck - The easiest and shortest of them all. By this time I had a Crobat, and I beat both of his Pokémon in one hit.

Jasmine - Another cakewalk. I'll admit I was skeptical of Steelix at first, but my Feraligatr made scrap metal out of it with Surf.

Pryce - Relatively easy, but this particular battle took a while, since I didn't really have a type advantage. I basically used my Magneton's Charge Beam on his Seel, but since I didn't have a Fire-type or Fighting-type to combat Piloswine, it took a while to defeat. However, it didn't really attack much, thankfully.

Clair - Frustating battle, especially when I had to defeat Kingdra with Feraligatr when my Magneton fainted (critical hits always happen at the worse possible time). The rest of her team wasn't too difficult.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I only found a couple of them difficult (Morty & Whitney) apart from that I had a pretty sturdy team to take them out (Lunatone, Solrock, Swellow & Altaria)

Back