• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gyrados vs Floatizel?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • Unfair matchup IMO. Gyarados is one of the best Pokémon in the game. No chance for Floatzel to compete.

That being said, Floatzel is still pretty good, if a little flimsy.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I go with Guarados 99% of the time, so I chose Floatzel in Diamond, and tbh it's not that bad. I haven't used Gyara in Gen IV so I don't know it's moves or anything but I'm assuming it's a lot like Gen III but with STAB phsyical moves. So I guess Gyarados.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I go with Gyarados on this. Floatzel is quite good in Attack Power and Speed, but defenses seems lackluster making it fragile towards strong attacker

Years
  • Gyarados has been mentioned several a times as the better one, and it is, but Floatzel does have a bit more Speed on its own, even if Dragon Dance on the former works for that favor anyway.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Others have said before that Gyarados and Floatzel is an unfair match-up, which I do agree with, and even so, I'd still have to go with former.

Gyarados is a very powerful Pokémon in itself, generally; it has access to Dragon Dance, and after one use of it, it'd be gaining instant boost in Attack and Speed, immediately setting up the Pokémon for sweeping. I've used this strategy with it dozens of times before, and it was always great.

Floatzel is not so bad, either. Personally, I feel its design is unique; when I'd first seen it, I thought it was normal-type, and was surprised to see it to wind up to be water. I enjoy twists like this every now and again.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Unfortunately Floatzel isn't quite on Gyarados's level statwise, but he still makes it onto my favourite 6 (Just makes the cut above Slowbro, as far as water types are concerned)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    While Floatzel isn't at the same level as Gyarados, nevertheless Floatzel is still an amazing Pokémon. In Gen IV it was tied with Starmie as the fastest Water-type Pokémon, it can also learn different kinds of moves that Gyarados can't learn in Gen IV for example like Aqua Jet, Crunch, Brick Break, Ice Punch (through tutors in Pt/HGSS), which are very helpful for in-game teams. :)

As for Gyarados belongs on a higher level, where it shouldn't be competing with Floatzel to begin with.

Back