• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Habits in Pokemon games

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    Do you have any habits when playing Pokemon? Do you always save twice, organize your items alphabetically or by frequency of use, do you nickname every Pokemon?

I personally organize my items alphabetically and if approaching a double battle I always speak to the woman of the team (if there is one). In my PC I have all the boxes organized by type and the Pokemon with in them are organized by level. I also always save in a Pokemon center and when I do I make sure my character is sitting on one of the seats in the center.

What about you? Any habits?

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    I name most of my Pokemon after other Pokemon (Meet Bulbasaur, my Serperior). Plus, I always save twice or thrice before turning off my game, I can't take risks.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    I have a habit of making sure that each pokémon I use has a STAB move in the first moveslot.

TripLee

Superman
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2011
    I save after almost every trainer battle. I also used to nickname all my Pokemon until I realized that people over the GTS wouldn't appreciate it :P

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
    Years
    I always go after pokeballs lying around (or items) it is really annoying (to my twin) but exsept from ocassily screaming "DAMN YOU!" when my pokemon faint i also save aload of times because of my forgetful memory.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    - I name all my Pokemon, unless doing Masuda Method.
    - I have to have a Fire type, or something that can at least learn Flamethrower, Fire Fang, or some powerful Fire move.
    - I seldom/never teach Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, or Thunder. Hate those moves.
    - If I don't have a good STAB move for a Pokemon, it will drive me crazy.
    - If I'm not overlevel I will grind levels til the buttons on my DS burn off. (not literally)
    - I don't like using the same Pokemon in consecutive playthroughs (ex. using Gardevoir in Emerald, restarting and using it again. Won't happen.)
    - All Heatran are named Hiidoran or Larry.
    - All Aipom are named Klippy.
    - All Chatot are named after a hit single or pop star.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    All of my Pokemon, regardless of their type usually have at least one normal-type / physical attack, juuust in case I need them to get me out a pinch where they're at a srs type-disadvantage.

I usually save my game twice, sometimes due to saving being such a habit, that I often don't even realize when I do it.

When I was real young during the first 2 generations, some of my Pokemon were often nicknamed as Pokemon that I wanted. I believe my Houndoom in Crystal was 'Arcanine'. orz

In R/S/E and DPPt I usually had only one or two Pokemon that I used for Contests, and I PokeBlock spam'd them so their Contests stats would be waaay higher than any of my other Pokemon. >_>

My party Pokemon are usually organized by level, with my weaker Pokemon first for training purposes.
    They're also eventually usually at the same even level, just works out that way.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I do have some habits. Some are fairly common and some are pretty rare.

~Yeah, I do save my game twice. I don't want to risk myself losing my progress after the first save after beating a bazillion rocket grunts. >_>
    ~I organize my PC boxes by type.
    ~I organize my Pokemon Party BY LEVEL, from lowest to highest.
    ~My bag is a mess and it always has 70% of unused/pointless items.
    ~I rarely name my Pokemon. If I did named my Pokemon, it would be from a random thing, such as a window or a TV.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    My endgame team has to fit into the following formula: [Grass/Fire/Water/Electric/Flying/Ground], secondary types, if any, being the only source of variety...

I always keep my team balanced in level, when the pokemon in the lead levels up, it immediately goes to the bottom of the list.

My pokemon have to be at least as strong as a gym leader's weakest pokemon before I challenge their gym.

I'd rather be underlevelled than overlevelled, so I tend to use a full team of six as early as I can so experience gets spread out more and they're all weaker.

I adamantly refuse to use HM slaves. I'd rather have six-seven marginally weak attacks on my main team than have to trek to a Pokemon center every time I see a tree, rock, or waterfall.

HoopyFrood

Designated Robo-Hipster
    Years
    -I end up saving like 4 times in rapid succession to make sure I actually saved.
    -My starter has to be two levels higher than the rest of my team, making it more leader-esque.
    -I always nickname my pokemon, whether it be a generic name, a meme, a pop culture reference, or just something whacky.
    -I always catch lots of pokemon (Mostly the ones I like) And have team switches through out the game (Besides my starter)
    -I always pick Umbreon.
    -I never use normal type pokemon, or pokemon that don't evolve.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    I too must have my team at the same level. I'm currently replaying sapphire and my Camerupt fainted and was two levels lower than my team by time I reached a Pokemon center and I was stressed till I was able to get to the same level as the rest.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    -I try to remember every Pokemon's cry.
    -I always keep my starter
    -I always try to have a Water Pokemon with me
    -When catching a Pokemon, I hold down the A and B buttons, then let go of them and press the down button on the D-pad as the ball opens. I twirl my thumb around the D-pad, praying the Pokemon will be caught.
    -I train my Pokemon to a certain level before continuing with the story.
    -I always switch my Pokemon before my opponents sends out their next Pokemon
    -I try to keep my Pokemon at around the same levels.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    -The starter remains on my team at least until the Elite Four are defeated.
    -I save at least twice.
    -I keep all my Pokemon around the same level
    -I keep my Pokemon around 5 levels higher than the local Gym Leader.
    -I try to defeat the trainer classes on a route in a specific order (i.e., all the Youngsters first, then the Hikers)

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
    Lol my habits are so the same in every game. Catch the first Pokemon I see and catch Pokemon that fits there gender ex; Machamp (male) Lopunny (female) And after I catch every last Pokemon I put them in o national dex order in my PC. Also ask as much people to trade me until I get all 3 starters in my team.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i have a few habits
    -i level my team evenly
    -i only nickname my main team
    -any male lillipup caught by me shall always be known as either Rilence or Yang
    -i always save twice
    -i save at any event no matter how small (like healing pokemon gaining a level ect)

i know there is more but thats all i can think of

Years
    My habits include:
    ~ All my pokemon have to be in the order i caught/recived them.
    ~ Most of my pokemon have to pair in some way, for example. In SS i had a typhlosion who was paired with amperos [spelling :(] because they evolve 3 times, a togekiss who is paired with a magmortar (because both were eggs, i hacked in the magby egg so they both hatched at the same time to make it more special, and they both evolve once in the second generation and a third time in the fourth that isnt through levels) and then an alakazam who is paired with a kingdra (because they both evolve for the last time through a trade)
    Also they are their genders, like alakazam is male and togekiss is female.
    ~ Depending on what i name my character (either James, as a boy, or Hybrid, as a girl) i'll name my pokemon either random stuff or by people i know.
    ~ I organise my box's into types with an extra box at the end and an unown box somewhere in there too.
    ~ All my pokemon have to be the same level.
    ~The only hold items can be ones that power up its type, example: magmar=charcoal.
    ~ If i nickname one pokemon, i nickname them all!

And that's all my very OCD mind can think of right now xD

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    - I always train my Pokemon in intervals of 5.

-Unless if I'm using the EXP Share, I will only train one Pokemon at a time.

- I always face every trainer I see, even if it makes me go out of my way, sometimes if I'm weak I'll even go heal and then backtrack just to face a trainer.

- I nickname all of my Pokemon.

- I always catch my Pokemon with the intent of using them throughout the entire game. (Unless if the are HM slaves or if they turn out to suck.)

- If I see an item, I must get it, no matter what.

- I hoard my Rare Candies, and very rarely use them until I need a Pokemon to evolve or learn a new move.

Psysaturn

Saturn: 2365 5097 2444
    Years
    Every PKMN must be male. I don't care how long it takes me to catch something I have to have male. Genderless excluded, of course. This rule of mine has been broken for Gen 5 as I am now using an all Ghost type team, and Froslass is in it.

I organize my PC boxes by type, and depending on my mood will sort the PKMN in them by color or 'dex entry height (If two are the same height, I use weight).

I can't use the bike, don't know why. I run/fly everywhere.

Way back when as I would capture PKMN I believed wholeheartedly in the "Hold Down and A" thing for Gen 1 and I cannot break the habit of doing it even to this day.

I cannot train more than 3 PKMN pretty much ever. My party usually consists of 3 PKMN, two being trained, one to be trained or waiting to pick up the slack, and one or two HM slaves.

Even though I know TMs are infinite in B/W I cannot break the habit of saving them til the last second so I can make absolutely sure thats the PKMN I want to have that move.

I refuse to use fire starters.

I will hold off battling the E4 until I have a Porygon in my party. If that never happens, I will never battle them. Ever.

Back