• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hacking Gone Wrong

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
  • A thread for funny screenshots of any scripting, mapping or whatever screw ups in your time working on a hack. Everyone makes mistakes, of course, and they often could go very wrong and thus be very entertaining mistakes.

To start it off, here's a few.
    Hacking Gone Wrong

I can't say I've ever seen the ? sprite just show up out of nowhere.
    Hacking Gone Wrong

Hacking Gone Wrong

I don't even know what's happening here. You can't see it in a still picture, but everything was twitching, as well.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • One time I was messing with asm, and testing routines. I tried running my routine which would load different pallets to the overworld sprite depending on set vars. I did something wrong, and the main character just randomly continuously changed pallets. It was quite funny, It looked like he was high. I made a video but I lost it, it was a while ago. XD

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
  • @Team Fail: I didn't think I still had the script, but apparently I do.
    Code:
    #org $CrazyNurse
    lock
    faceplayer
    message $CrazyMessage
    $CrazyMessage 1 = NURSE: Would you like me to\nheal your POKéMON for [p]200?
    #raw 0x93 0x00 0x00 0x00
    boxset 5
    compare 0x800D 0x0001
    if 0x01 goto $CrazyMessage
    #raw 0x94 0x00 0x00
    message $NoMessage
    $NoMessage 1 = I guess my needle is not going\nto get any use today.
    boxset 6
    release
    end

#org $Yes
    #raw 0x92 0xC8 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x0 goto $EnoughMoney
    message $TurnDown
    $TurnDown 1 = I never like to have to turn\nsomeone away.
    boxset 6
    release
    end

#org $EnoughMoney
    message $HoldStill
    #raw 0x91 0xC8 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    #0x95 0x00 0x00 0x00
    pause 0x10
    $HoldStill 1 = Nurse: Now, honey, hold\nstill.\l\v\h01 went unconscious.
    boxset 6
    fadescreen 1
    #raw 0x94 0x00 0x00
    special 0
    fanfare 0x100
    waitfanfare
    fadescreen 0x00
    message $Regained
    $Regained 1 = \v\h01 regained\nconsciousness.
    boxset 6
    release
    end
    The problem is, though, I've tried it again, and I can't seem to replicate that screenshot. XD I do know that it was caused by this script, though.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • I've messed with a few RAM offsets before. I got this really funny result. :)

Hacking Gone Wrong

Don't fart on budew! XD

Hacking Gone Wrong

Pokemon: The Eggs Strike Back

These were only temporary though. It was pretty darn funny when it happened though!

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    Few months ago, while re-programming pokemon blue's engine to load uncompressed images...

Hacking Gone Wrong

btw, now it works fine.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • Few months ago, while re-programming pokemon blue's engine to load uncompressed images...

Hacking Gone Wrong

btw, now it works fine.
    That's a lotad if I'm not mistaken.
    I don't really have much I can post, but once I managed to glitch things up so that the tileset for a map was the thing were it showed all your pokemon after beating the elite four.

Last edited:

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
  • I managed the impossible. I am awesome. DERRY DON'T YOU DARE SPEAK ;;

Hacking Gone Wrong

[...]

Okay, seriously now, since for the graphical part I'm mostly messing with overworlds, I happened to witness a few terrible glitches that kept making my ROM restart.

Also, I always wondered why you glitch when you end up healing your pokemon at home, in any rom where you apply 'JPAN's hacked engine' patch to.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I'm typing on my PSP so I can't post a screenshot but my original rom was SO screwed up, battles wouldn't work at all. It would freeze! Also while screwing around with script offsets, I created a way to clone! A glitchy accidently found method but still a way to clone in Sapphire!

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
  • Here's a few more screenshots:

Hacking Gone Wrong

Messing with scripts ended up making the player get sent to Blaine's gym upon fainting. XD I had one lvl 7 Psyduck, so it got murdered by his Growlithe... and then I got sent there again from fainting. Infinite loop. XD

Hacking Gone Wrong

I guess this is what happens when you warp to a map... with no warp. XD

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Here's a few more screenshots:

Hacking Gone Wrong

Messing with scripts ended up making the player get sent to Blaine's gym upon fainting. XD I had one lvl 7 Psyduck, so it got murdered by his Growlithe... and then I got sent there again from fainting. Infinite loop. XD

Lol, that happened to me too. I think that's where you go if there is no healing spot set.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • I managed to get the Textbox to move once... I'll try and dig up a screenshot:

Hacking Gone Wrong

I figured out how to make that happen. :)

Tee Hee! I Figured it out on fire red, and I'll try and find it on ruby.

The textbox data is stored at 0x020204b4. The amounts all relate to the amount of 8x8 squares. It goes in this format:

byte: Unknown
    byte: Text X position. Textbox follows
    byte: Text Y position. Textbox follows
    byte: Text X amount. Textbox follows.
    byte: Text Y amount. Textbox becomes cut open. Never modify.
    byte: Text properties (I have yet to figure this out, but it changes font, background, ect.
    6 bytes: unknown, and havn't found any functions relating to them.

Try opening VBA's memory viewer and fiddling with the values. Your text box will be at your command :)

I'll have to find the place in the ROM where it's loaded from....

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    www-youtube-com/watch?v=Govn0_Wudx8

(change "-" to "." - soz, but i dont have 15 posts so it doesnt let me :S)

Screwed up some code..lol and Prof. Birch is acting weird :C

Well, btw, can anyone tell me how to change this poochyena at the beggining ? I wanted change it to Treecko :S

Years
  • @Pkmntrainerpaul i lold no screenshots but i have been adding maps to pokemon emerald without removing or editing other maps and i hit a glitch on a direct connection where it lets you into an area but wont let you out. :(

Back