• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Hacking Tutors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew-Mewwer1

What the hack?
Years
  • As you may all know, hacking is quite difficult for noobs, and i think it may be a good idea to create a Tutor Thread, of experts who want to teach starters the basics of what their good at. Maybe add prefixes like:

Mapping:
    Scripting: (Script editor?)
    HEX:

And stuff like that.

On top of that, using this tutor system, we can probably get more work done, and the starters can help the tutors with their project, or teach something else to them. It's a win-win situation (Now we only got to find some tutors...)
    On top of that, i suppose more users will stay instead of thinking: "I can never do this, i'm gonna stop. So what do ya think of it.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Just a side note: Me and Vrai (maybe some others) are working on a ROM Hacking Tutoring system.

Mew-Mewwer1

What the hack?
    Years
  • I know, but i can't build up a hack only out of that thread.
    A tutor can tell you what you don't get of the tutorials, and help the other one. I know there is a question topic, but i think tution would be the easiest way

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Sorry, but asking around in CQ&F won't get you a tutor system whipped up. You should be looking in the Emulation section for someone willing to take you under their wings and show you the ropes. If all else fails, just get to be friends with one. Maybe then they'll teach ya something.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    This is probably the wrong section for this question.

That being said, I'd like a Hacking Tutoring Program. esp with newer games like Hacking HG/SS

Mew-Mewwer1

What the hack?
    Years
  • Sorry, but asking around in CQ&F won't get you a tutor system whipped up. You should be looking in the Emulation section for someone willing to take you under their wings and show you the ropes. If all else fails, just get to be friends with one. Maybe then they'll teach ya something.

This thread is also mentioned as a suggestion thread.
    End for the "Looking in ... you the ropes." Is actually what i want a sub-board for, were tutors can get in contact with students

And where should i placce this topic else?

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I think this is a good idea. Having the experts go one on one or even host a class online(through MSN, or whatever) would be a great way to get progress done. And in the end he could assign homework, like 'I want your hack to be 5 maps and have 2 gyms in it by Sunday.' It'd be a great deal. I'm all for this idea.

Plus, tutorials don't exactly cover every question you might have. A tutor can.

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I think this is a good idea. Having the experts go one on one or even host a class online(through MSN, or whatever) would be a great way to get progress done. And in the end he could assign homework, like 'I want your hack to be 5 maps and have 2 gyms in it by Sunday.' It'd be a great deal. I'm all for this idea.

While it really would help the inexperienced hackers learn a thing or two, there really isn't anyone that dedicated to teaching around here.

Yeah, it might go smooth the first week or two, but then the next thing you know the teachers stop updating the students with meet dates or stop showing up, and the students start not caring anymore... It's really just the way things work around here.
    Hell, if I had a nickel for every time I saw someone try and start a hacking newsletter or weekly competition... Well, you get it.

That and a lot of hackers procrastinate around here. Not saying I haven't done it myself, but it's just the way things go.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    As you may all know, hacking is quite difficult for noobs, and i think it may be a good idea to create a Tutor Thread, of experts who want to teach starters the basics of what their good at. Maybe add prefixes like:

Mapping:
    Scripting: (Script editor?)
    HEX:

And stuff like that.

On top of that, using this tutor system, we can probably get more work done, and the starters can help the tutors with their project, or teach something else to them. It's a win-win situation (Now we only got to find some tutors...)
    On top of that, i suppose more users will stay instead of thinking: "I can never do this, i'm gonna stop. So what do ya think of it.

I think this is a good idea. Having the experts go one on one or even host a class online(through MSN, or whatever) would be a great way to get progress done. And in the end he could assign homework, like 'I want your hack to be 5 maps and have 2 gyms in it by Sunday.' It'd be a great deal. I'm all for this idea.

Like Manny said, he and I are working on setting up something of the sort. I used to have a ROM Hacking Tutoring thread, but due to a) poor planning and b) poor organization and method, it didn't turn out so well. However, this time through, I think it'll work out better. I'm thinking less one-on-one, and more teacher-classroom sort of thing. It would take an incredible amount of time for a person to set aside, say, two hours per week to only get with one person. And who's to say that that one person is actually going to show up?

I'm thinking you might see a thread in the ROM Hacking section within the next few weeks or so. Potentially. I'd like to remind you, though, that I'm lazy, and that there will need to be a variety of capable people willing to go online at certain times to tutor. Those sorts of people who actually enjoy teaching others aren't exactly easy to come by.

While it really would help the inexperienced hackers learn a thing or two, there really isn't anyone that dedicated to teaching around here.

Yeah, it might go smooth the first week or two, but then the next thing you know the teachers stop updating the students with meet dates or stop showing up, and the students start not caring anymore... It's really just the way things work around here.
    Hell, if I had a nickel for every time I saw someone try and start a hacking newsletter or weekly competition... Well, you get it.

That and a lot of hackers procrastinate around here. Not saying I haven't done it myself, but it's just the way things go.

This is definitely true. I'm thinking, though, that by having a rapidly evolving tutor base (the people who have been tutored will probably be expected to host a class at some point) will help vastly. A system where tutors choose their own time and students can simply join the class as they need should work well too, I think. For example, say that a tutor named, uh, "Smeargle" decided to set up a class for Scripting every Friday at 5:20, for two hours. He is expected to be there at that time, every Friday, unless he gives some sort of notice. And if he doesn't manage to make it one time, the students aren't really affected much. They can just join up on another class.

I think, maybe, there's some potential here. Maybe even enough to rebuild the hacking community.

EDIT:
    This is probably the wrong section for this question.

That being said, I'd like a Hacking Tutoring Program. esp with newer games like Hacking HG/SS
    There's so much wrong with you I don't even know what to say.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I think that if you really want this to take off, you should involve the S-Mod Matthew. He's a top class ROM hacker who is always willing to help - just ask him a few times, because he's a bit shy.

Mew-Mewwer1

What the hack?
    Years
  • Like Manny said, he and I are working on setting up something of the sort. I used to have a ROM Hacking Tutoring thread, but due to a) poor planning and b) poor organization and method, it didn't turn out so well. However, this time through, I think it'll work out better. I'm thinking less one-on-one, and more teacher-classroom sort of thing. It would take an incredible amount of time for a person to set aside, say, two hours per week to only get with one person. And who's to say that that one person is actually going to show up?

I'm thinking you might see a thread in the ROM Hacking section within the next few weeks or so. Potentially. I'd like to remind you, though, that I'm lazy, and that there will need to be a variety of capable people willing to go online at certain times to tutor. Those sorts of people who actually enjoy teaching others aren't exactly easy to come by.

This is definitely true. I'm thinking, though, that by having a rapidly evolving tutor base (the people who have been tutored will probably be expected to host a class at some point) will help vastly. A system where tutors choose their own time and students can simply join the class as they need should work well too, I think. For example, say that a tutor named, uh, "Smeargle" decided to set up a class for Scripting every Friday at 5:20, for two hours. He is expected to be there at that time, every Friday, unless he gives some sort of notice. And if he doesn't manage to make it one time, the students aren't really affected much. They can just join up on another class.

I think, maybe, there's some potential here. Maybe even enough to rebuild the hacking community.

EDIT:

There's so much wrong with you I don't even know what to say.

Sounds good. Maybe you should post a link here when your finished.

I think that if you really want this to take off, you should involve the S-Mod Matthew. He's a top class ROM hacker who is always willing to help - just ask him a few times, because he's a bit shy.

Matthew's profile said:
    I DO NOT ROM-HACK, IF ANYONE IN THE CHAT SAYS I DO, THEY ARE DIRTY LIARS OK
    So...

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • TBH if I'd had a tutor, my Pokemon Azure project might not have died. After all, who the hell wants to read giant blocks of text to learn mapping and overworld spriting, let alone scripting and fakemon?

Mew-Mewwer1

What the hack?
    Years
  • Hope we can attract a mod to this topic, i wonder what they think of it.

TBH if I'd had a tutor, my Pokemon Azure project might not have died. After all, who the hell wants to read giant blocks of text to learn mapping and overworld spriting, let alone scripting and fakemon?

Exactly my point. Also, you first have to find the "Giant blocks of text" and understand it.
    That's exactly the reason why i quitted last time

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • Well, I tried to get some stuff done, via AdvanceMaps, AdvanceText, and an OW editor I forgot the name of, but without knowing how to script, and nobody to help with in-battle sprites, my thread stayed in Scrabox and died with the rest on February 1st.
    But once again, if someone had guided me through scripting and I actually had a hack team that probably wouldn't have happened.
    Oh well. -_-

Rickk12345

Wants to Map and Sprite!!
    Years
  • Hey,
    I think this is a great idea. I'm a beginner myself.
    Last year, I got into it with a friend. After a while, he quit. So I was on my own. But it's just too much work for a noob to make a hack. So I completely support this idea.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Cool story, dude. Unfortunately, this thread has passed it's expiration date and needs to be closed before any other curious eyes come across it and want to have a taste. :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back