• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hand the phone over... now

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Well, I don't know about you, but my school can be a complete arse when it comes to electronics. They're just not allowed. And if a teacher sees them, generally they take it away, unless you're in the cafeteria or hiding in the bathroom.

1)Is your school strict on the allowance of electronic devices?
    2)Are there any particular devices they are really strict on? Like phones, laptops, etc.
    3)Have you ever had anything confiscated from you? If so, what do you did about it?
    4)A bit off topic, but do you text/listen to music/play video games in class? Ever been caught?

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Yes.

2)Are there any particular devices they are really strict on? Like phones, laptops, etc.
    Phones. They used to allow ipods, but this last year they started treating them the same as phones. Laptops are fine though.

3)Have you ever had anything confiscated from you? If so, what do you did about it?
    Nope. I used to play my gameboy/DS in class all the time, and only got caught once. The teacher didn't take it away though.

4)A bit off topic, but do you text/listen to music/play video games in class? Ever been caught?
    Answered in #3. I don't ever text (I don't have a phone.) or listen to music though.

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    In High School yes. It was prohibited to use ANY TYPE of electronic devices on campus and 50 feet away from campus (during school hours).

Mainly cellphones, mp3 players/iPods, and cameras. Cellphones are the main electronic device that gets taken away frequently. Laptops are allowed only if you have some sort of a learning disability.

I got a cellphone confiscated during my freshman year in high school. Didn't get it back till the end of the year. xD

I only listen to my mp3/iPod whenever there's a lenient sub in the classroom, and I text during boring lectures. I was careful 70% of the time. xD

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    It is on a class by class basis. Usually cell phones are only permitted if there is an emergency.

Just phones, I don't know about music. This is just within the class room, since I am at college they don't care what you do outside of class. Laptops are permitted in most classes.

No, cause I am not supposed to be using cell phones in class, it comes off as disrespectful to the teacher and classmates when you are on a cell phone or texting. Also why be there if all you do is text.

4)A bit off topic, but do you text/listen to music/play video games in class?
    Ever been caught?
    I used to list to music in class and play video games when permitted, which some of my high school teachers were surprisingly lenient.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    Yes. They confiscate anything they can get away with confiscating.

Anything not school-related

Once they tried to confiscate a deck of cards they found me and my friends playing Poker with at a break. However, I explained how confiscating it would be unconstitutional, and threatened them with legal action, which saved my deck. After all, we did not bet real money, so our playing was perfectly legal.

I used to play Pokemon Emerald on my gameboy back in the 5th grade. Now I just use sudokus.

Teachers do not have the right to "confiscate" anything. My personal property is protected by the constitution (At least in Greece), and I am not going to tolerate theft, no matter whom it comes from.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    It's been a while since I was in high school, but from what I remember they were pretty strict on the whole cell phone thing. But this was back in the early 2000's so not everyone had one until much later in my time there, so it wasn't a big thing just yet. But when one did go off in class the teacher would just take it until the end of class. Now in college, the teacher doesn't really care if you have it with you, but if it goes off, they just ask that you turn it on silent and out of sight...they can't exactly take it from you, but they can ask you to leave the class.

Years
    Nope. At University, they don't really care.

Nopeeeeeeee.

Nope. Nothing like that, ever.

In tutorials, I listen to music when doing work.​

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I'm no longer in high school, buuuuuut~

Is your school strict on the allowance of electronic devices?
    Oh my gosh, yes! They actually began to implement a detention system last year where if you were caught with an electronic device in the school at all, you had to spend one hour in detention after school. I found it to be a bit much, but I'm no longer there, so I don't care anymore haha.

Are there any particular devices they are really strict on? Like phones, laptops, etc.
    They hated cellphones and iPods the most. We weren't even allowed to use them during our lunch, on our own time.

Have you ever had anything confiscated from you? If so, what do you did about it?
    Never. I was very good at hiding it if I was texting in class. I was also very lucky and had teachers who didn't care that we were using electronics. >:D

A bit off topic, but do you text/listen to music/play video games in class? Ever been caught?
    We used to be allowed to listen to our iPods when we were working in class, but they changed the rule to the detention thing I mentioned earlier. Because of that, I don't listen to music during class anymore (except for if we had a supply teacher; they didn't really care haha), but I would still text during class very sneakily~

In university, I seldom text during class because I decided to be a good student this year and listen to my teachers. XD;

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    Yes, because it's a Technology school/college and we don't earn much money.

We must ask for "permission" to use the laptops first and if a phone goes off or if you're caught looking at phones or along those lines they will be confiscated.

I've had my phone taken off me once for going off in class.

I've always listened to music in class; it's the only way I can concentrate.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Ummm I'll answer these in reference to my high school, since college doesn't care about this haha.

YES. It was awful, you don't even...

You couldn't have anything. There were two students that got to carry laptops though, because their handwriting was so bad. But I think that's ********, because I saw people with far worse writing. And not only that, but you ain't gonna sign a check or something in the future with a computer. So I don't see how they got leeway.

I had a phone taken up for the class period once, I think. I just got it back at the end of the class, but most people don't. I don't know how I managed to slip away from that situation so unscathed.

I didn't have texting in high school (and still don't!) so no. I did, however, play my DS in class sometimes. Never got caught though. :) Also, in 8th grade, my teacher allowed us to bring iPods and GameBoys for the silent reading period, which lasted about 45 minutes. Best teacher ever.

ShaQuL

ShaQuL
    Years
    • Age 25
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 22, 2015
    Not really. But you're not allowed it in class.

No. You can bring anything.

Yep, my phone. I was going down the corridor after the bell rang using my phone (i have that video with song lyrics) and i was singin... Headteacher took it off me x_x i had to get it after school.

On last day of school, last year me and my friend bought our PSPs in. On music lesson we watched some
    gay bad movie so me and my friend were playing... and we got caught :O but we got them back at the end of lesson.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    1)Is your school strict on the allowance of electronic devices?: Yes it is.
    2)Are there any particular devices they are really strict on? Like phones, laptops, etc.: Most of the time, it's laptops, but cellphones are on the list too.
    3)Have you ever had anything confiscated from you? If so, what do you did about it?: No. I close my laptop during class and put it under the table, unless I'm using it for classwork.
    4)A bit off topic, but do you text/listen to music/play video games in class?: I surf the Internet from time to time during class, but I close them quickly before the teacher comes.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Not in high school, but okay.

My school really isn't too strict when it comes to this sort of thing as a whole, it mostly depends on the teachers. Personally speaking, I've only had one teacher who doesn't care about the use of electronics in class. (and it was a programming class, so take that as you will) Most of my teachers won't take the stuff away, but they will snap at students and ask them to leave if they keep it up. The students may certainly be adults and can do what they want, but that doesn't mean the teachers will tolerate it. My photography teacher in particular just hated to see anyone texting during class and always had to remind the same girl in class to turn her phone off.

Annnd no, I've never had anything taken from me at all, I don't take electronics out during class periods.

saint paxton

Wat it do baby boo~
    Years
    Not so much in college, but in high school, it was a little ridiculous. No cell phones ANYWHERE, no iPods, games, etc.

Phones and iPods, mostly.

NO. I would've freeeeeaked out. I'm really weird about people having and looking through my personal property. They did look through confiscated phones, too. I didn't think it was legal, but principals had confronted several students about things found on their phones.

I text in class a lot. I did in high school too, but I was pretty careful about it. One time I was in 11th grade English and I was checking my phone, but I accidentally hit the button that does the "PLEASE SAY A COMMAND" thing. It was super quiet in the classroom at the time, so it was super embarrassing, but we had a really old substitute teacher who didn't hear it or maybe didn't care. (kekekekeke everyone thought it was the girl behind me anyway~)
    The only time I listened to music in class was probably during finals. We weren't allowed to leave the classroom until everyone was finished with the test, so we had a lot of free time. :|

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    My high school was very strict about electronics, but now that I'm in college they couldn't care less <3

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    1. Is your school strict on the allowance of electronic devices?
    They are, yes.
    2. Are there any particular devices they are really strict on? Like phones, laptops, etc.
    Usually phones and NDS/Gameboy/PSP, mp3's/ipods are fine though.
    3. Have you ever had anything confiscated from you? If so, what do you did about it?
    My phone, I told my mom to get it from the prefect of discipline.
    4. A bit off topic, but do you text/listen to music/play video games in class? Ever been caught?
    I do, but I always ask permission from the teacher if it's okay to listen to some of my favorite songs since I am done with my work.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    High school was, in college it varied by professor. One said she'd charge $5 to give any cell phone back that she confiscated.
    Mostly phones are the big ones.
    Nope
    I play my DS in class sometimes, but I've either never been caught or the professor just doesn't care if I play it xD

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015

Cell phones, Ipods, games, and for the longest time we were able to bring in cameras but some students would take photos and giggle and disrupt class constantly. naturally they banned those too

Phones. the students LOVE to text in class.
    It's hilarious how mad they get when they get their stuff confiscated. P:

My DS, they search us at the entrance so it got taken away :T

I surf the internet during the classes of more lenient teachers, or when i have subs. i never get in trouble

Tox

fight me
    Years
    Not really. My school is quite small so they're not too strict. Everyone knows each other so they don't really want to get us in trouble.

Again, not really. Some people are given laptops if they need them and I'm pretty sure you're allowed bring them in yourself too. You're allowed have phones, though you're supposed to turn them off during class. If they go off, the teachers generally ignore them and assume you'll turn it off. Only substitutes ever really do anything because they don't really know how the school works.

I'm pretty good at keeping my stuff. I always have my phone on vibrate so no problems there.

Yeah, we can listen to music in free classes and a lot of the time, students have earphones in anyway. I do that quite regularly. I text in the majority of my classes and use the internet in other classes. I also download pictures and draw Pokémon on the tables with my friends. :] I've only been caught like twice but the teachers just said to listen to them.

Back