• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Handedness

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
    For eons, handedness has been obsessed over by humanity, with left-handers considered to be all of evil, Satanic, stupid, 'sinister', clumsy, unnatural, and many other negative things across the centuries. While (most) people now realise that that train of thought is utterly moronic, the fact that left-handedness is quite uncommon makes it ever intriguing to see a left-hander among the sea of right-handers that fill the Earth.

Which hand do you prefer? To what extent; do you do some things with one hand and some with the other? Are you one of the chosen few who is ambidextrous and can do whatever you want with either hand? Or are you 'ambisinistrous' - that is, useless with either hand? If you are left-handed, do you face any difficulties in real life?

I (and my mother / sister) am left-handed, favouring my left-hand for almost every task. The exception is when I brush my teeth, which likely came about as a result of young me confusing which hand was what when looking in the bathroom mirror. I often find myself whacking people with my arm when I write, which offends them, and my ink always smudges over my page. It makes sad. Fortunately, I have never been told that I am the spawn of Satan for writing with my left hand and I do not expect to be told such in the foreseeable future.

edit:
    [17:16:05] @Syndrome: wow...you're a left handed demon

Never mind!

Last edited:
    Years
    I switch between hands often, especially when brushing my teeth. The major exception is writing.

On the other hand, I'm pretty clumsy either way. I don't mind because even if I excelled with one hand, that hand tires eventually.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    I'm right handed, although I find my left hand is stronger for carrying things etc.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm another one of the right handed people.

Why is it though that so many more people are right handed than left handed? Why is it not something closer to a roughly equal amount?

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I am left handed. Coming home from school and having to wash off pencil/ink from my hand was always fun.

Handedness

Years
    I write and use utensils with my left, but use things like a computer mouse and throw a ball with my right and am more likely to learn something with my right hand compared to with my left hand.

It was an unusual process that got me to this point with those things.

Sirfetch’d

I can use both hands pretty well but I am right handed when it comes to writing, holding things such as my phone, etc. I once tried to make myself write with my left hand and it was a disaster :s

Bay

Years
    I'm right handed and pretty much used my right hand to hold, write stuff, etc. As far as I'm aware my mom is the only left handed person. I see her cook and write with her left hand.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I'm right handed and use my right hand for most things, writing, texting, typing etc. but there are times when I do switch over to my left and dont really notice until i go to do something and mess it up because im using my non-dominant hand.

Years
    I have like zero fine motor control in either hand but my right hand is definitely my dominant one. I do almost everything with my right hand although on occasion fine myself doing things with my left.

Weirdly enough though, I can lead perfectly well using my left hand when I dance. I guess because that's more gross motor than fine?

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I am powerfully right-handed. My right hand has been trained to have very fine precision with a pencil so that I can make smooth lines on my tablet. People have said it is "surgeonlike." Unfortunately, this means that I often end up hurting it a lot because I rely on it so much.

My left hand though? Don't worry, it still gets use. I will use it to carry and hold things, generally, to reduce the strain on my right hand as much as possible. I've actually started doing more and more with it because I want to "save" my best hand for my precision art.

Years
    I'm a right-hander, which I mainly use for a lot of stuff because it seems to be easier to control than my left. The weird thing is I come from a family of lefties, which makes me feel like the odd one out.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    right handed ftw. My left hand has always been much weaker, so my right is mainly my dominant hand with things (unless it calls for both hands though, then obviously I use both with no problem).

Gabri

m8
    Years
    Right-handed, for pretty much anything. Using the computer mouse, holding a cell phone, throwing things, carrying things, writing, using a knife while cooking, inserting keys on doors, using corkscrews and screwdrivers, punching stuff, strumming the guitar's strings and doing, uh, you know. It's all with the right hand. My left's a weakling.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm definitely right handed. My left hand is very incapable of doing fine movements and precise stuff haha. It is as if that hand is twice as far from my brain as my right one sometimes haha. It's pretty cool that I learned to type on a keyboard with both hands actually, but I'm pretty sure that I use the right hand for most letters. Yea I just tried and it seems like my right hand right hand takes care of VGY and left takes care of CFT (on a Swedish keyboard, I don't really know if the keys are aligned differently on an English one but I don't think so).

However, I think I have better sensitivity in my left hand? Like, when touching a texture, like my hair or anything really, it is as if my right hand is kind of dumb and numb while the skin on my left is softer and more accurately sensing a surface. Good enough balance, I guess haha.

Back