• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Handful of questions, switching from ROM hacking to essentials

Zef

zef
Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    decided to mess with essentials after rom hacking for a few years, have a few questions

1. not sure whats up with playtesting.
    pressing continue gives me this: https://qt.vidyagam.es/WREKlCy.png
    pressing new game gives me this: https://qt.vidyagam.es/UJM6Iyu.png (i can move around, no player sprite available)
    if i open the menu at that point, it gives me: https://qt.vidyagam.es/oAIfdi7.png

2. where is the database file located in essentials? i'm working with a team and would like to give them the data for the tileset we're using so they don't have to check off passages, terrain tags, etc.

3. last question. as i mentioned above, i'm working with a team and would like to give our scripter maps so he can insert his scripts onto them. is there a way to export and import individual maps?

really appreciate it if you read all of this and know any advice

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hello fellow ROM hacker! Let's see how effectively I can answer your questions.
    1. Is that Essentials GS or did you put a ton of work in replacing sprites? Either way, my guess is that you haven't defined the Trainer. There should have been two example events, one that you would find in a finished game, and one for debug. (At least for v16+, I deleted my copy of GS, so I can't check)

2. All the Data from the database in RMXP is stored in the Data folder. Tilesets are in Tilesets.rxdata. Just replace the whole thing, and send the pictures too.

3. Maps are Data/MapXXX.rxdata, where XXX is the id number of the map. (If you open the map properties by right clicking a map in RMXP, you can see the id). It's easier just to give the map, get your scripter to create his own map on his copy, and replace the new map with the one you give him by giving it the same id. (Hopefully I explained that effectively.)

Zef

zef
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Hello fellow ROM hacker! Let's see how effectively I can answer your questions.
    1. Is that Essentials GS or did you put a ton of work in replacing sprites? Either way, my guess is that you haven't defined the Trainer. There should have been two example events, one that you would find in a finished game, and one for debug. (At least for v16+, I deleted my copy of GS, so I can't check)

thanks, solved all my issues but this one. i'm using gs essentials. i'm not sure what would have caused this, it sort of just randomly started to happen. it began with it not acknowledging that i changed the player starting position, placing me inside of signs and other things despite me clearly setting the starting position far away from it. then suddenly pressing continue gave me the black screen, and new game gave me that

i'm using the example event that plays as if the game is playing normally

vashicool777

Creating an event!
    Years
  • What might have happened is the event that auto starts in the beginning for a new game was somehow messed up when transferring your character to a certain map. If you made a new map maybe the reason is because you have not edited the event and changed your characters location (x,y). So when you continue your character is somehow messed up like its under the map its self or somehow stuck in the part of the map. I have had this happen before myself when messing with things.

When starting your project did you replace the original map with your own and rename it?

If so that is the problem, like i said before you have to redefine where the character is at the end of the event where it transfers him/her.

Back