• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Happiness and the Elite Four

FireRed Supergiant

ZIPPO used SLASH! Critical Hit
    Years
    Every site I read about game mechanics in GSC lists the same things which can increase happiness. Leveling up, vitamins, haircuts/groomings, and walking. But none of them mention the elite four. A few forum posts on other sites say it works, so I tried it out for myself.

I hatched two Eevees and took them with me while I rode my bike around for a very long time (~20 minutes). They started with a 120 happiness, giving a "it's quite cute" rating from the woman in Goldenrod (100-149). They still had the same "it's quite cute" after the long bike ride.

Then I deposited one of them and took the other one with me on about ten runs of the elite four. It didn't fight or level up, I just kept it at the bottom of the list. Then I took it to the woman in Goldenrod, who said "I get the feeling it really trusts you" (200-249). I leveled it up to L8 and it evolved into Espeon. That's an increase of at least 50 points by just the E4 fighting, since it went through the entire 150-199 range.

Then I raised the other Eevee, whose happiness i re-checked with Goldenrod woman to still be "it's quite cute" and leveled it up to L15. Nothing happened.

I'm about to start bringing the second one with me on another ten runs. But based on all of this, it seems pretty clear that beating the E4 (or at least battling in general, I didn't try it with beating other opponents) definitely increases happiness. Has anyone had similar experiences, or would anyone else care to try it out to verify?

It kind of relieves me that I can just take my golbat or chansey on a few E4 spectator runs instead of doing the runs and spending all the money on vitamins to get a happiness evolution.

Note: I also checked the happiness of my Xatu, whom I keep with me only for Fly to return to E4 from my home. It was at a "it looks sort of happy" (149-200) even though it's never battled and I recently traded it to and from another game which reset its happiness to 70.

Back