• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Happiness and the Internet...

Opaque

Sode no Shirayuki
Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2010
    So... I was reading an assigned article for class, and it mentioned an experiment that found:

The more you use the internet, the more negative effects you would have on yourself. Examples include fewer friends and an increase in depression and loneliness.

I was wondering what you guys think about that statement, because looking back at my own life... there was definitely a time where I was more depressed and lonely - and I was basically living in the internet.

Now I think that if you balance real life social life with the internet, happiness can be attained - but I was wondering if it was the same for you all? D:?

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2010
    Well. If I never used the internet at all I'd be pretty unhappy :P haha

Overall, I think it's true. Increased dependency on the web is a bad thing.

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
  • I think this makes perfect sense. If you never come out from under your rock, you are going to be an unhappy person.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2010
    I think it might be more the other way around. You're depressed, so rather than going out and having fun, you stay in and go on the internet instead. I don't really see how going on the internet can make you depressed and lonely, but I can see being lonely and depressed making you go on the internet.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • I think it might be more the other way around. You're depressed, so rather than going out and having fun, you stay in and go on the internet instead. I don't really see how going on the internet can make you depressed and lonely, but I can see being lonely and depressed making you go on the internet.
    This.
    Correlation does not imply causation. Almost everyone who spends a lot of time on the Internet does it because of problems in real life. Social life in the Internet is easier.

Also, there's a difference between "friends", and more specifically "real life friends". And there's a difference between "real life friends", and simply "people whom you hang out with during school".
    :3

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • The internet iself is a great social tool for itself, you're never really alone of the internet.

However, we need to social contact of other people actually near us, or we will become lonely.
    A well balanced social life on either side is good, is probably the best.

I actually need to get more guys friends, though.
    Seriously, what, I only have like one actual guy friend off-web?
    >.>"
    Unless you want to count Bursty, he is my best friend and all, but we've never met face-to-face. :C

and why the hell am I telling you all this?

anyways, you'll hear comments such as the one you made a lot,
    and about the one that states:
    " Is the internet making people stupid? "

No, it isn't, it's just making the stupid people more noticable.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • So... I was reading an assigned article for class, and it mentioned an experiment that found:

The more you use the internet, the more negative effects you would have on yourself. Examples include fewer friends and an increase in depression and loneliness.

I was wondering what you guys think about that statement, because looking back at my own life... there was definitely a time where I was more depressed and lonely - and I was basically living in the internet.

Now I think that if you balance real life social life with the internet, happiness can be attained - but I was wondering if it was the same for you all? D:?
    Ahem.
    CORRELATION IS NOT CAUSATION

In other words, it's quite possible that your internet usage has nothing to do with your social activeness. It could be (and quite likely is) that people that are unsocial are simply more likely to turn to the internet for their social life. Also, I'm willing to bet this "study" fails to consider internet friends as friends.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    For me its probably the other way around, without the internet i really wouldn't have a social life. Some of my happiest moments have been in internet chats or forums. Call me a sad person if you will but i think i would be more depressed out in the open (especially in this weather).

However, in San Diego, i had limited access to the internet (hence my absence) and was forced to have a outdoor life. I still managed to have a good time, perhaps the weather has an impact on happiness too.

To actually answer your question, i'm happy in either world if the chance of happiness presents itself, but in the depressing english weather, im happier on the internet right now.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • For me because of the Interenet I'm never lonely seeing as I always have a way ot talk to my friends on it. I'm always on my computer yet I still go out and have good times with friends. I believe there should be some balance in social life and how much time you're on the internet, but as far as I see saying the more you use the internet the less friends you'll have and more depression is ridiculous.

Years
  • I don't really see how going on the internet can make you depressed and lonely, but I can see being lonely and depressed making you go on the internet.
    This is my experience. Others have gone into enough detail so I won't add to it except to say that most of my irl friends live in other towns/cities/countries so the internet is the best way for me to keep in touch with them.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • When I was depressed a few years ago, the internet practically saved me. Meeting people on this site really helped. Yeah, sometimes it sucks to think that while other people are out with friends, I'm on a computer or whatever...I just don't care too much anymore.

Highschool was when I spent the most time worrying what others thought and now I just prefer talking to people on here over spending time with friends I had in highschool that aren't even close with me anymore unless it's to their convenience.

Ayselipera

The way I see it, this works in both ways.

My irl friends tend to annoying me from time to time. So going on the internet is a nice "getaway" from their annoyance. So every once in a while I'll spend a lot of time on the internet. At first I enjoy all my time spent on the computer because it keeps me from thinking about my friends and in general keeps me occupied.

Eventually all this time spent on the computer then starts to have a reverse effect. I'll start to miss my friends and begin to feel like I've distance myself away from them. Which I have a habit of doing throughout the year. I prefer to be alone most of the time, but even I get lonely and while the internet is a nice way to talk to people online, it doesn't replace real life. So of course after all this I'll start to have negative feelings and just be all around mopey.

So while the internet is nice for a certain amount of time each day, when I over do it I do notice signs of feeling sad and depressed.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
  • Yeah, I'm one of those people who find it much easier to communicate with others and be myself over the internet. I've been using the internet a lot more because of this, I've alienated all of my RL friends and become extremely lonely and perhaps depressed (not clinically diagnosed, but I feel low and my self-esteem is pretty much that of a slug XD).

Hopefully this will change when I go to uni. >:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I also find it much easier to socialize while on the internet, in fact I'm actually closer to friends I've made on the internet than my 'school friends'. :P

In fact, until about a year ago I'd barely talk at school at all, and now that I'm becoming more social I'm starting to wish that I had started years ago... But you can't change the past, and I really wouldn't want to, as I've met some really amazing friends while on the internet.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Dumb.

"...fewer friends..."

I'm sorry but, the entire reason why someone has a dependency on the internet is because they regularly visit everchanging webpages. One of the most frequently interesting and progressing websites are forums such as PC. And what makes someone come back day after day? The social aspect. In other words: FRIENDS.

Sure, you have fewer friends who you may talk to and hang out with in person, but if someone rather stay home on their computer and talk to their friends over an MSN or even Skype, it's their prerogative. There's a reason why they've turned to the internet: most people on the internet aren't social people. The Internet provides the friendship one wants, without all the awkward reality of it. It's simply a good compromise to them.

They're only depressed if they compare their lives to others, who are more social. If they wish to be that way, then they will obviously be depressed. If they're comfortable in their skin and their preferred way of being social, then they have nothing to be sad about.

NOW DO I SEEM UNFRIENDLY AND DEPRESSED TO YOU?!??!?

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
  • I agree with him /\ Now if you let the internet consume your life then of course your gonna have less friends because what do you do all day ..... on the web go out and make some new friends and you'll be all good.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • My happiness is directly linked to what's going on outside, in my "real life".

My internet usage is relative to my happiness, but it's more like happiness squared = internet usage

It's a parabola - when I'm happy I use the internet, when I'm sad I use the internet! When I'm stuck in the middle, not so much.

Back