• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Harambe Joining The Pokémon Franchise?

Bulbadon

Might or might not come back
Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2016
    Ghost type? Meat Shield?

That's a bit too much, even for honoring a dead gorilla. I like the idea of Harambe joining Pokemon but not with that typing and ability. It doesn't remind us how Harambe was an amazing animal, it reminds us how it was sadly/brutally killed.

It reminds us how Harambe died not how he lived.

Migit78

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • The artwork for this is amazingly done for a fan made creation, I would totally use it for in game play, as my teams are normally based around the pokemon I like the design of, as you can beat story mode using anything

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Great design, but too controversial, which makes me think it's unlikely to happen. I could see them making a Pokémon that's sorta kinda loosely based on it, but giving it the exact same name as the real life gorilla? Just doesn't seem like the kinda thing Nintendo would do.

Whoever did that artwork definitely deserves a job at Nintendo though, it's very well designed o:

GMeister

Poke Maniac
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2020
    It's just to late for addition, that is one thing gaming petition fail to think about. To create a single Pokemon, you'll need a lot of coding. Tweking on the Pokedex while have a full planned list of Pokedex. Deciding moveset and etc. I bet GF are busy trying to make it to release date. You wouldn't want S&M to be delayed.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • It's just to late for addition, that is one thing gaming petition fail to think about. To create a single Pokemon, you'll need a lot of coding. Tweking on the Pokedex while have a full planned list of Pokedex. Deciding moveset and etc. I bet GF are busy trying to make it to release date. You wouldn't want S&M to be delayed.

I think this is a rather important point to make. It's 3 months until release, and I think Game Freak is at a point where they're not really looking to create new Pokemon (maybe they'll be allowed to squeeze in a few more but I don't imagine any more than that?), while the rest of the time is probably spent towards playtesting the game/making sure it doesn't have awful bugs/etc.

Well, I mean if anything - not that I think Harambe would be made into an actual character - it could technically be like a free DLC update post launch and include him in the game. If Pokemon games like Pokken Tournament added Pokemon post launch, I don't see why a traditional Pokemon game couldn't do that. Do I think that's unlikely to happen? Most likely, yeah. But I wouldn't say it's not possible either.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Oh, I completely forgot about DLC being a thing; it's happened before that Pokemon have been included way after launch anyway (I think Hoopa was one, Volcanion is another, etc).

Hoopa, and Volcanion were already in the coding of XY since launch, so they're different than if they wanted to add new Pokemon that didn't make it into the coding upon launch.

Anyways, the last known Pokemon that was added into a game at the last moment caused a lot of glitches, those games being Red and Green, and the Pokemon being Mew.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Thats a great Fakemon/Pokemon design. I think it's better than most of the 7 Gen Pokemon that have been shown so far.
    However, there's no way Gamefreak would add a new Pokemon this late in the process. Also, the ghost typing and Meat Sheild ability is tasteless. Love the design of the Pokemon itself though.

Quasimoto

Lord Quas
    Years
  • I want to know what does 4chins thinks about "normies" using "their" artwork. Harambe is a dead meme though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    Far too controversial and frankly tasteless to actually be used - there's no way this will be incorporated into a real game.

It is a very nice design however. It's a bit unfortunate in a way because now if they ever did want to make a gorilla with that typing people are going to think of this, so they basically can't. Ah well.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Even in the very unlikely event Game Freak decided they were going to add Harambe, Sun and Moon have gone well past the point of adding new Pokemon at this stage. It's not going to happen.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    On one hand, I'd love to see a gorilla Pokemon. On the other hand, after reading some of the replies here, this Pokemon will likely get the most negative backlash since Jynx. The only way I can see this getting through is if Game Freak would name it Georilla or Goruggla instead of Harambe, give it something like Mold Breaker as its ability, and perhaps make it Ground/Fighting too.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Ghost type? Meat Shield?

That's a bit too much, even for honoring a dead gorilla. I like the idea of Harambe joining Pokemon but not with that typing and ability. It doesn't remind us how Harambe was an amazing animal, it reminds us how it was sadly/brutally killed.

It reminds us how Harambe died not how he lived.
    Not sure how off-topic this is, but I do want to ask why Harambe is an especially amazing animal and why we should honour how he lived at all. I am genuinely curious. Am I just heartless in not particularly caring about a gorilla? People die every day and a lot of those people have done a lot more good and lived in much more amazing ways than Harambe. I do not see what is special about Harambe. What did he do that other gorillas haven't, other than (likely unintentionally) put a child in critical danger? Animals die even more often than humans - is this one different because it looks a bit more like us, or am I actually missing something major?

I'm not trying to call you out here, I just think I must be missing something important.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2018
    Not sure how off-topic this is, but I do want to ask why Harambe is an especially amazing animal and why we should honour how he lived at all. I am genuinely curious. Am I just heartless in not particularly caring about a gorilla? People die every day and a lot of those people have done a lot more good and lived in much more amazing ways than Harambe. I do not see what is special about Harambe. What did he do that other gorillas haven't, other than (likely unintentionally) put a child in critical danger? Animals die even more often than humans - is this one different because it looks a bit more like us, or am I actually missing something major?

I'm not trying to call you out here, I just think I must be missing something important.

In my opinion your not missing anything. Just a recent Meme trying to get more attention. It feels like it's less about the actual gorilla and more about this Personality the Meme has created. Watching the actual video shows a human child was in real danger, and perhaps using a tranquilizer would not have worked fast enough.

Oh well. Designs were still pretty good.

Years
  • I think this is a rather important point to make. It's 3 months until release, and I think Game Freak is at a point where they're not really looking to create new Pokemon (maybe they'll be allowed to squeeze in a few more but I don't imagine any more than that?), while the rest of the time is probably spent towards playtesting the game/making sure it doesn't have awful bugs/etc.

Oh, believe me, they have enough time to make new Pokemon. but if I'm wrong, then you have the right to smack me up side of my head with a Conkeldurr's concrete pillar.

Sirfetch’d

This petition has over 27,000 signatures as of right now

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • This petition has over 27,000 signatures as of right now

So it has reached its required goal? I never pay attention to the progress of any petitions from change.org, but what happens after a petition reaches its number goal? Does it get passed to the government for approval?

Back