• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HARD MODE

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
  • When pokemon EVENTUALLY makes an easy, medium, or hard mode what do you want to see in the hard mode(right now i think the games are kinda in easy mode)

Personally i want to see trainer battles that dont tell you the next pokemon that will be sent out kinda like competative wifi battles

What do YOU want to see?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Gonna kick this to Gaming Central since that's where it belongs.

But I would like to see EV and IV trained Pokemon outside of the Battle Subway, and more strategy competitively as opposed to semi-random movesets and choices.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • ^ I wouldn't wanna see that on random trainers though. Maybe Ace Trainers and Veterans, and of course rivals, gym leaders, and E4. Various other bosses too. If this was ever implemented, it'd be interesting. But I like the game without it.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
    Years
  • Gonna kick this to Gaming Central since that's where it belongs.

But I would like to see EV and IV trained Pokemon outside of the Battle Subway, and more strategy competitively as opposed to semi-random movesets and choices.

Thanks didnt know where it was supposed to go

And having trainer battles with ev'ied pokemon would be epic
    That would force me to actually ev train my pokemon

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    ^ I wouldn't wanna see that on random trainers though. Maybe Ace Trainers and Veterans, and of course rivals, gym leaders, and E4. Various other bosses too. If this was ever implemented, it'd be interesting. But I like the game without it.

Maybe Medium mode would have the ones you mentioned, and Hard mode would have every trainer after like the 3rd/4th gym?

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    I was just talking about this yesterday. I think that hard should definitely have ev and iv trained Pokemon. Maybe not every trainer but most of them. I also think it should have some kind of item restriction too. Maybe no non-hold heal items in battle or something.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Maybe Medium mode would have the ones you mentioned, and Hard mode would have every trainer after like the 3rd/4th gym?

Yeah, that would work. I would hope that, in hard mode at least, you have a way to get power items relatively early on. Because it wouldn't be fair for the opponents to EV train and you have no easy way to do so.

Years
  • Gyms need to be harder, more trainers in them I guess and more challenges.
    I would actually like to see IV and EV trained pokemon with decent AI as well.​

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • As well as the harder trainers with EV-trained Pokemon, maybe the puzzles and challenges in the main game could be harder? For example, the caves in any new region could have varying levels of difficulty in going through them depending on the mode, and any puzzles needed to traverse them (e.g. the Ice Path and its hyper-specific way of sliding) could increase in difficulty as well.

Years
  • That'd be an interesting feature to implant. I'm all for it. Right now games are kind of easy and could be fast to play through. It'd be more fun if they were harder.

Years
  • They don't tell you the next Pokemon; they actually evolve when they're supposed too, not stayin gin the 1st form 9 levels after they should've evolved; they get badge bonuses depending on how many gyms they've beat as well; they get Hms and TMs; they have more Pokemon (>3).
    :D

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    With all of that implemented it should still be beatable though without having to have a flawless competitive #1 peaked team. And unless I had one and gotten it from Pokécheck or whatever, I think I´d be pretty discouraged to actually beat hard mode because I don't want to EV train throughout the whole game. That's a chore, it's not really fun lol. Especially when you're gonna have to do more than 6 Pokémon - unless they have a wider variety of Pokémon you can catch in the beginning, which would sort of take away the thrill of finally getting to that new area where you can catch that Pokémon you've wanted for so long.

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
    Years
  • Personally i want to see trainer battles that dont tell you the next pokemon that will be sent out kinda like competative wifi battles

What do YOU want to see?
    You can already change that in the options menu of every game. Change it from shift to set.

Anyway, I'd like to see an inability to use certain items in battle, such as revives. Just make it so that you are on par with the AI.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    ^ I wouldn't wanna see that on random trainers though. Maybe Ace Trainers and Veterans, and of course rivals, gym leaders, and E4. Various other bosses too. If this was ever implemented, it'd be interesting. But I like the game without it.

See, all of those trainers were pretty much hard mode at all times. They are the ones who teach their Pokemon TMs and HMs and some even have egg moves!The games don't need a hard mode. At all. To be honest, you can already make it hard. I mean, there are PLENTY of ways to make it hard, that's what's so great about not having a hard mode.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • See, all of those trainers were pretty much hard mode at all times. They are the ones who teach their Pokemon TMs and HMs and some even have egg moves!The games don't need a hard mode. At all. To be honest, you can already make it hard. I mean, there are PLENTY of ways to make it hard, that's what's so great about not having a hard mode.

I initially was going to make a point that you can make the games harder, if you want to, however some people want their story mode to be harder. And "mode" implies it's an option. Like in Kingdom Hearts, there's easy, normal, and proud modes. You pick whichever you feel comfortable with. I, likely, wouldn't play hard mode in Pokemon that often because I'm very casual, but maybe once or twice for the challenge. Those that are competitive, but still like playing through the story, would likely enjoy this as it combines the two. I think that would be the reason for adding a hard mode. Is it needed? No. Is it wanted? Apparently, judging by most of these replies. I don't see it happening though, and that's fine with me really.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    As I've said before I'd like Nuzlocke mode included. Also maybe elite pokemon, or the chance to go back and do gyms as 'hard-mode' for better rewards.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    As great as it would be, I don't think there's ever going to be an increased difficulty mode. It just doesn't seem like the sort of thing Pokemon would really do. It markets mainly toward kids but makes itself open to all; it's a casual game anybody can play. Adding levels of difficulty, even if there is the good old easy mode option, makes it a little less casual and a little more... hardcore, i guess? Which goes against the spirit of what Pokemon is all about. But that's just me speculating, and I could be way off. After all they did include the "Round 2" increased difficulty mode for Pokemon Stadium, which becomes accessible after completing the standard mode.

But, if it does happen, it'll probably just be like... higher levelled opponents, with more Pokemon or Pokemon at higher stages of evolution, and more type coverage with their movesets. Maybe a higher-levelled evolution system so your Pokemon evolve later. And possibly better IVs for your opponents. It certainly wouldn't touch on EVs, though. EV training is a means of manipulating the game mechanics to choke out the best Pokemon you can, devised by fans and done by fans. A harder difficulty level might include Pokemon with a bit more specialized stat layout, but there's no way it'd be like legit competitive battling in-game. ... And there definitely won't be a Nuzlocke mode. I highly doubt the people who make the games even know what a Nuzlocke is, and at any rate Pokemon dying doesn't exactly work in a game intended for children.

I'm pretty content with Pokemon as it is. You can already battle competitively or run Nuzlockes on your own. If they did make a game with increased difficulty options I would definitely play it and enjoy it, but I can't see it happening and I don't really mind.

ShadowStriatonTriad

Shadow Triad Elite
    Years
  • Well, the highest difficulty mode would obviously have more challenges and disadvantages. But to be honest, I would prefer Pokemon Games to have modes similar to Naruto Games and Sonic The Hedgehog Games (In example, Naruto Games have a saga for each character. In Sonic The Hedgehog Games, there is Hero Mode and Dark Mode where you can play as the Hero of the Story or the Criminals of the story.) Depending on what mode you choose, the difficulty varies. That way, in Pokemon you could get a taste of every difficulty. ^o^

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2014
    I would like to see the trainer's Pokemon all be higher leveled than you, an increase in the difficulty so that they won't do stupid things like use NFE moves against you, trainers with more than 2 or 3 Pokes, Trainers with advanced switches, trainers capable of pulling of real strategies, more trainers with items, IV and EV trained trainer Pokemon, trainers with a wider variety of Pokemon. Anddd, thats about it :)
    Plus, if Pokemon were in HARD mode, you'd have to pay for Pokemon Centers, no handouts!

Back