• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hard to Find Pokemon

Years
  • I'm working on a Romhack that fully replaces all the pokemon in the game, so I was wondering: Do people like the challenge of having pokemon that are really rare? I mean, skitty or Feebas rare, not like legendaries.

Personally, trying to find that one spot to catch a feebas in, or hunting for hours trying to find that 1% find rate pokemon really grinds my gears. It was tolerable in vanilla, given the resources available, but romhacks don't have the same advantage (without either the player hacking it to find out the details, or me making a walkthrough).

So I'm interested in what you all think. Would you rather have "rare" pokemon REALLY hard to find sometimes, or would you prefer that "rare" pokemon be more like a 5%, if-you-spend-some-time-you-will-find-it sort of rare?

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    From my experience messing with pokemon gold wild encounters, making a pokemon 1% took me 99-100 battles to finally encounter the pokemon. So if your going to do that, give those to the legendaries and only in specific places. I'd keep 5% for the rares but dont give every route/map a 5% rare so people wont cheat and grind for each rare on every map.

what are you working on?

Years
  • I'm aware of the statistics of it. Mostly, this "survey" of sorts is whether or not to change existing ultra-rares like "skitty" and "feebas", or to leave the pokemon replacing them at that level of rarity.

I'll count you down for a vote in favor of removing ultra-rares, unless I misinterpreted your attitude :P

Also, to answer your question, I'm working on Ponymon: Anarchy. It's a full-conversion hack of Emerald to the MLP universe. It was started by a guy called Discord Drocsid, but I've taken it over (with permission) as he was moving on to RPG Maker rather than romhacking.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    actually im surprised a mlp full conversion hasnt been made already. that will be a lot of friendship is magic like moves

hows the progress going? What did you decide?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Sorry for the (very) late reply. Apparently my email notification got turned off for some reason >.>

As of the time I started, there were already two MLP:FiM romhacks: Dawn/Dusk and Anarchy. Flutteryay is still working on Dawn/Dusk (a Firered hack), but Discord Drocsid had stopped working on Anarchy, so I picked it up (with his blessing).

I've always hated ultra-rares, so with the only feedback coming back in favor of removing them, that's definitely the direction I'm going. Though I have been on a slight hiatus due to being really busy irl, so progress has been slow.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2016
    I'd like it but only if

a) it was a cool Pokemon.

b) there was something in the game to tell me it was there. Something like an NPC saying "You know, people have been sighting the rare XXXXXX on Route XX lately! Why don't you go look?"

Back