• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Harder than usual?

Are Pokemon Black and White harder than the other games?

• It IS Harder.

Votes: 98 51.6%
  • It is easier.

Votes: 35 18.4%
  • It's about the same.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I NEED MOAR.

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters

Venomire

Gentlemanly Action Hero
Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2011
    It's possibly just me being me, but I personally find it so that Black and White are a fair deal more difficult than it's predecessors, especially Pearl, Diamond and Platinum, which, to be honest, I found quite easy. So what are your opinions? Harder? Easier? About the same? I'm curious as to the general public opinion.

Nateon

Pokemon Will Be Real One Day!
    Years
  • I thought that they'd tried to make it more difficult, for example, it's ridiculously difficult to get to a high level like you used to before taking down an enemy. In both cases of the elite 4 etc, i just went 'never mind' and went in. I think it's great what they've done and i love how they've made the enemy/rival this time (N)

Lateon

The Eon Follower
    Years
  • I actually found black to be fairly easy, I blew right through it. I think what makes it "harder" is that there is so much more to the storyline (which I enjoyed), so it seems like there is much more battling than usual. I didn't have issues at all with the elite four and the gym leaders, and even the gym puzzles were fairly easy. I'd probably go as far as to say that it's the easiest of all the games... though that might not be entirely fair because I did abuse the lucky egg that Juniper gave me XD

Erufuun

apple bunny lover <3
    Years
  • Well, IMO, it's just you. :D
    Beside the first badge, I don't/didn't have much difficulty with this game. It is so much easier to grind with Audinos everywhere, as well as the fact that the Professor gives you a Lucky egg, so your Pokemon should always be decently leveled. This is like the first time a team is easy to come by, and a solo run is much harder. (With the new experiance system) Plus, there is so many stronger Pokemon around with this power creep! Archeops may have a horrid ability, but an attack coming from a 140 base attack is more than likely gonna KO any in-game Pokemon... And Shandalure can be obtained rather early as well, with a 140 base Special attack.

But even with the rather low difficulty, I find this game exceedingly fun~ <33 I really just wanna catch everything!!

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2011
    I answered that I thought B/W is around the same as D/P/Pt/HG/SS but I think in a different way. It seems like the levels of the NPCs in B/W get higher much faster compared to the other DS games but I thought the AI in D/P/etc. was really good!

I do like that the levels seem a little tougher in the main story-- usually it's just so easy to breeze through :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    It does seem harder than previous generations but thats a good thing. the older ones in my opinion were too easy

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Tackle is 50 power now, and EVERY WILD POKEMON IN THE BEGGINING WHO CAN LEARN IT GET STAB FROM IT! So the beggining is hard, but the rest gets easier.

Years
  • I also thought it was much harder than the previous games. But I like it more this way. Too easy is also boring.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
    Years
  • Yeah I totally agree that it's harder, I find my pokemon getting KOed like crazy when before I'd have done it no bother. I'm having to do a lot more training, though I'm not complaining about this it's quite refreshing to be honest.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • I also thought it was much harder than the previous games. But I like it more this way. Too easy is also boring.

Couldn't agree more :)

It was difficult at the start, but around the 3rd/4th gym I started finding it a bit easier, but it's definetely harder than previous pokemon games.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    So far it hasn't been as hard, but the wild pokemon seem to be a bit tougher earlier on, which I think is a huge plus compared to D/P where it got hard to train pokemon by battling wild pokemon real fast. I had some problems w/ the first gym, Lenora wasn't as bad, but my Blitzle's def./sp.def stats are pathetic so I only expected it to be a bit of a pain.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • it's ridiculously difficult to get to a high level like you used to before taking down an enemy.
    Dudde, I thought I was the only one who thought that! It is taking me forever to get passed the first few gyms. Ughhhh, it is challenging.

Volcarona

then live beautifully until the end
    Years
  • I say that B/W is easier. Early game, I was struggling a bit against stupid stuff like Ducklett and Emolga, but that was my (Pokemon's :D) fault. I had to retry to beat Burgh and Elesa. Although the beginning was difficult, right now... I'm cruising along pretty well.

I've noticed that many of my members have fainted. I am so cheap at using the items. There are resting homes and doctors/nurses everywhere though. I appreciate that addition or else I would spend most of my adventure flying to the Pokecenter. D:

Ever since I got the Lucky Egg, I've been at about 5-10 levels above the other trainers. I easily defeat the gym leaders. Only Cheren/Bianca have proven to been somewhat of a challenge so far. I can't wait until the levels spike post-game. <3

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Put it this way, I'm constantly visiting the Pokémon Center.

Relatively, the game does feel a bit more difficult compared to the past generations. The wild Pokémon specifically seems to have gotten more challenging, especially compared to DPPt. Something I've actually noticed, and I don't know if this is just happening for me alone, but Critical Hits seem to occur a lot more often than before, which is one of the reasons why I'm always heading back to visit the lovely Nurse Joy.

Lenora, the second gym leader, also seemed a little bit challenging. I beat her on my first try, but she managed to take down two of my Pokémon early in the battle with her last Pokémon.

Other than that, I wouldn't say I've gotten that far into the story line (I've only recently arrived in Castelia City), but there are more trainers around compared to other points in the game when this far. I don't necessarily consider this a difficulty in the game though, but more of a chance to boost up my Pokémon's level more.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I'm not having any issues of toughness as I progress. I have wiped out everything that I have faced with ease.

Years
  • I haven't played in a few generations, but to me this game is tough. However, I didn't really know about the Lucky Egg until i read these forums, so thanks for that.

My wife and I had trouble with both the Lightning gym and the Ground gym. Everyone in the gyms were super easy except the Gym Leader, which we've had to fight over and over again and are unable to win. I find grinding to be hard because the wild pokemon around the cities were in are too low level to give decent XP.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    This time around, I actually have to sit around for Audino for the much-needed experience! This is what happens when the level progression is made much more unforgiving. At least there's experience adjustment.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I find wild Pokemon and NPCs are higher-leveled than they were in previous games. Where B/R/Y took forever to find Level 10 Pokemon in the wild, Black and White have them available within the first three routes really.

Just means more grindfest. Fun.

Back