• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest game battle?

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
  • The first time I battled Cynthia on Pokémon Pearl, because I was massively underlevelled and didn't really have anything to counter her Garchomp. I had to keep spamming Revives until Garchomp eventually missed a Dragon Rush.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I think maybe the champion in Plat? Had to revive everyone constantly there. In my nuzruns, I have no idea.

pkmin3033

Misty in Red the first time, because of her damn Starmie and its refusal to die. It tore through my Butterfree like paper, carved my Pikachu up to serve on the side, then laughed at my Charmeleon's miserable attempt to damage it before putting it out of its misery. I had to train A LOT to beat her the first time around. I still take a vindictive pleasure in destroying her in later titles because of the hassle she caused me the first time around. In my defense, I was 10 years old and had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to be doing. I only knew Pikachu would be useful because of the anime! xD

In later titles only Cynthia in Diamond has caught me by surprise, because I was massively underlevelled and expecting to steamroll her after I took out the Elite 4 was ease. I wasn't expecting such a well-balanced team from her, so that was a nasty shock.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Cilan in Black and White in early 2010s because he was so strong and i was still new to the JRPG stuff at the time, but i evantually started to impove its game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2022
    Definitely the May/Brendan fight before Mauville.

That one is still a fight I dread to this day whenever I play the Hoenn games.

Years
  • red from hgss since i was way underleveled. still managed to win though #teammaxrevive
    but a battle that actually made me think hard with what i should do next was probably the Ghetsis battle in the Pokemon League in pokemon black. ok my memory is a bit hazy, don't know if it's actually ghetsis. since the sequence of battle was n and then ghetsis. there was no time for recovery (as i remember it... i should really replay black) and i was low with potions and such

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2019
    I really hated battling the ultra necrozma in USUM - I wasn't at all expecting it to be as difficult as it was and only won because of my zoroark's illusion, a LOT of fake tears and the darkinium-z. I also despised the totem wishiwashi in SM and the totem lurantis in SM/USUM. Also, Lenora in BW in my first run through those games as a kid. I don't know why, but she was tricky.

I don't know if this counts as a "battle," but the boss drapion in Shadows of Almia was awful. It took me so long to finally get that thing and halted my gameplay for months.

Lil_Mew19

I'm soft uwu
    Years
  • The battle against the leader Whitney in HGSS was really a killer for me. Her Clefairy kept using Sing on my Pokémon, and put my whole team asleep in no time at all. After repeatedly using Flash and many Awakenings, I managed to get in enough hits to kill it off. Then, oh boy, her Miltank. It would keep using Rollout, killing off my team slowly, and after a lot of Potions and sending Pokémon in and out, I had been close to defeating it... only to have it use Milk Drink, which restored it's HP almost completely. I got defeated by her at least three times. The fourth time, I had grind trained my Quilava and Noctowl, but when it came time for Miltank again, I almost lost... except, by pure luck, I landed a critical hit with my Quilava;s Rock Smash. I was so shocked and relieved that I cried.

Then there was the champion battle against Iris in B2/W2. I plowed through most of her team somewhat easily with my Mamoswine's Ice Beam, but when it came to her Hydreigon and Haxorus, their Flamethrower moves took Mammy out of the picture, then they quickly bowled over the rest of my team, since I really wasn't expecting her team of all Dragon-Types, and since I didn't have any other Pokémon super effective against them, I was done for. After five attempts, I gave up and started to grind train my Mamoswine, Lucario, and the weaker Pokémon on my team, until I was stronger and feeling confident again. Along the way, I had actually discovered for the first time that Lucario could learn Dragon Pulse, so when I had taught it to him using a TM, I felt ready for battling Iris once more. I plowed through the Elite Four, took a deep breath, and faced Iris. With my highly trained team, Mammy's newly taught Blizzard, Naruto's Dragon Pulse, and lots of extra help from my other Pokémon and many Full Restores and Revives, I managed to defeat Iris. I felt so proud of myself.

This doesn't really count as a battle, but I was crushed by the two Rhampardos in Pokémon Ranger; Shadows of Almia. Their Rock Slides kept breaking my Capture Stylus' string (I think that's what it's called; my memory is a bit fuzzy). I actually gave up on the whole game for months until I decided to go back and retry. I got defeated again and again, so I then went and raised my ranger's level a lot, and it took me days to get to a point where my level was high enough to finally capture the two devils, and it was still a very close call.​

Last edited:

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Lucian from D/P/Pt, surprisingly. Mostly because of his Alakazam with an amazing movepool and his overlevelled Gallade. They gave me a lot of trouble in my battles with him.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2019
    When I was 8 years old and playing Gold for the first time I had a lot of trouble beating Whitney, snivel....hic...I HATE HER.

Years
  • there's no battle more difficult than being in the middle of a monster house in a pokemon mystery dungeon game when you have no moves to affect an entire room/area.

Years
  • The final battle against Ghetsis in Black/White is the only time I can remember actually losing multiple times against a trainer. Granted, I was a little too underleveled at that point, but strategy wasn't working in my favor like it normally did.

Other battles I remember being difficult to a degree were Roxie in B2/W2, along with Gardenia and Cynthia in Platinum.

TOKZK

Gen II veteran/breaker
    Years
  • Don't make me start. I had a HUGE problem with N in nimbasa city in black (probably because my best pokemon was a level 34 herdier and the rest of my pokemon were severely underleveled (sub-lvl 20) and I kept getting rolled by him). Then when I was first playing pokemon crystal (I was 3 at the time, barely knew how to read), i got to koga with a level 63 pidgeot with gust, fly, return, and swift. I kept getting stuck on his foretress, because I didn't know what type advantage was, so I kept using swift on it, until either A: I run out of pp and use another move, or B: I faint from a status affliction like toxic, and get rolled by an underleveled team.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Oh god, Primal Dialaga I'm explorers of sky, I had an Eevee as my partner and I think I was a turtwig,plus, not having the option to drag your partners that you've recruited only made it much much harder for me. I had to resort to reviver seeds, sleep seeds and stun seeds to actually win after numerous failed attempts.

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • The first time you get to face Darugis in Dark Rising 2. Despite you already being able to have a really good team... Dark Chaos is [self-censoring] busted. I absolutely hate playing stall in a game (even if good stall mons exist) and relying on being an annoying ass to win.

And that thing absolutely annihilates any team being a smidge more offensive than Balanced Defensive. I hate it. Aaargh.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Whitney - Her notorious milk talk with Roll out and Attract combo is most fatal mistake and if you pick cyndquil you gonna have a bad time, pray that you find a female machop and whoop her.

Elesa - Emolga puts away with notorious volt switch and she have 2 of them so you go full rock-type to handle them and Snivy/Tepig users arent happy either.

Misty/Brock - If you ever just to choosing charmander, you gonna have difficulty dealing with the first 2 gyms, so you need to get decent grass type to handle the situation and Starmie is no joke and can swipe your team with one eye closed.

Iris (as champion) : You cant just relay on ice-type for your easy picking since 3% of her team is a lapras, aggron and archeops furthermore these 2 can clobber your fragile ice team to nothing and which makes you resorting to use a dragon-type or if you can one-shot them at everything.

In PMD, Monster house is one thing you pray and wish you avoid encountered with because just you and your partner you may not survive. Also dont try to eat/pick up any item on kelceon store without a handful of P because you just make a grave mistake going in and afford something without paying full P price

Back