• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hardest rom hacking skill

Years
  • I do not agree whatsoever . . . .
    Spriting, Tiling, and Scripting are some of the essentials in making a hack. Take the real Pokemon games themselves (I know these are not hacks, but), Nintendo creates new tilesets, sprites, and scripts for every generation of games (Gen I had it's own tileset and sprites, Gen II had their own, etc.). In my opinion these are some of the most important (but maybe not the hardest) skills.

But dear sweety<3

Please, I'm not saying that you don't need new sprites and maps in a new hack. That is not what were discussing right now.
    I'm talking about hacking... HACKING IS THE DAMN RESEARCH YOU'RE ALL ARE IGNORING WHEN YOU THINK YOU'RE MAKING A HACK....<3
    But my beloved sweety, just because they're importent in a mode, doesn't make spriting hacking....
    BTW: <3

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Spriting shouldn't be classed as hacking, at all. The insertion is classed as hacking, sure, as you are editing the game, but the sprites themselves are artwork, and as you make them BEFORE inserting, are not technically part of hacking, but the implementation of the said sprites into the ROM, and making the game read them is hacking the game. Making the sprite in Paint is art, and not editing the ROM, or hacking it in any way. (But it is hard to sprite)

ASM looks very complicated. I might learn scripting, as that is my fear, but after looking at ASM, I am inspired to move up hacking-wise.

WaterSplash

Common
    Years
  • ASM Hacking really isn't hard, it's just so time consuming and tedious that people don't bother with it. However, seeing how most people just copy/paste everything from a tutorial and try and work it in their hacks, I can see why most people would think ASM Hacking is difficult.

The truth is, most people who find ASM hard are those who want to sit down in front of a computer and throw together a generic storyline and try to make a hack in thirty minutes. It's not gonna happen. If you want to have a fun and challenging time while "hacking" a game, try scripting through hex rather than using a scripting program. Many hacks created this way are better than those someone slapped together (in my opinion).

psychicboy

Hacking is all that matters...
    Years
  • Well since ASM "is" the hardest skill in hacking an few people master it let alone use it, I'm going to say my hardest would be in the graphics area as I have scripting completely mastered.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    If you can think. You can ASM hack and script.

If you can't, well you need to go back to school.

If you graduated and can't do it, spend some time trying, if you still can't, you may need a dunce hat.

Glitch.

maybe making a comeback
    Years
  • ASM and scripting for me. i looked at a ASM tutorial and i was like WOW how the &%#@ am i supposed to do this. :P maping is so easy it just comes natural to me. scripting on the other hand will take time to learn.

Pheya

Is very excited about HH & SS.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2010
    For me personally it's ASM hacking and importing sprites. =/

Scripting is the most easiest thing to do in my opinion.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • I think the reson so many of you think SM is hard is because it looks like a bunch of gibberish to you...
    In essence, it is the same as scripting, it just has a million more possibilities...
    Closer to computer language than most other things in ROM Hacking...

Another problem people have is locating the addresses in the RAM to be able to do anything at all.
    All you really need is an explanation for what every command in ASM means, what they do, and how to use it... HMM... SOUNDS LIEK SCRIPTING DOESN'T IT?!?!!?!1!shift+1!!!?question mark!

I guess that is why it isn't the most difficult thing in the world for me to understand, but I think interdpth went a little far with saying if you can't learn it then you are stupid...
    Joking or not, that isn't the case.
    Some things just come easier to people than others...
    I've been scripting for a long, LONG time now, and only recently... well, a few months ago learned that ASM even existed, and was skeptical as to what it did, how to use it, etc etc...

Now that I've taken an interest to it, and want to learn as much as possible about it, I've been looking into useful sites like gbadev and things like that...

TL;DR?
    ASM isn't so hard in retrospect, just takes a logical mind and patience.

Iacobus

sǝɯɐɾ
    Years
  • I have to agree with interdpth that creating a good storyline is one of the difficult things when you want to create a game/hack. Over 9000 hacks on this forum share the same storyline, which is why I don't pay attention to most of them. It's easier to learn a programming language (i.e. scripting/ASM) than to learn how to be creative. Creativity is one of our human skills that can't really be taught. In my opinion creativity is also closely linked to intelligence. That's why most creative inventors weren't stupid, a bit mad maybe, but not stupid.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Graphics are pretty easy to change but making them is an entirely different story for the artistically challenged.
    What's easiest and hardest varies from person to person. There is no skill that will be the hardest for every single hacker.

^ My thoughts exactly.

For me specifically, I usually struggle with spriting, both tile spriting and OW spriting. It's not so much that I'm downright graphically challenged (which I am, of course) but I'm a perfectionist. If something I do, as far as hacking goes, isn't perfect, I have to scratch it and start over.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    I think its mapping. Most people are terrible at it and its not really something that can be taught. Unlike scripting or even ASM where transforming an idea into code can be broken down into steps, mapping is a much more visceral affair. Everyone and anyone can make a map, but the ability to point and click isn't what makes you a good mapper.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I think its mapping. Most people are terrible at it and its not really something that can be taught. Unlike scripting or even ASM where transforming an idea into code can be broken down into steps, mapping is a much more visceral affair. Everyone and anyone can make a map, but the ability to point and click isn't what makes you a good mapper.

See, that's where we need to define the title.

What is meant by "hard"? Hard to do at all or hard to do well?

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I'm gonna go short here, cuz I'm a bit tired right now.

To me, Scripting is the most difficult, if I'm gonna put it up against Graphic and mapping. Graphic goes smooth for me, because I'm good at it, and mapping flows even better.
    Scripting, on the other hand, is difficult to even insert to the ROM. Doing good scripts is even tougher. So I don't do it.

So for me, Scripting is the most difficult part as of things I've tried to do.

Omega Zero

Is back...
    Years
  • I'm gonna go short here, cuz I'm a bit tired right now.

To me, Scripting is the most difficult, if I'm gonna put it up against Graphic and mapping. Graphic goes smooth for me, because I'm good at it, and mapping flows even better.
    Scripting, on the other hand, is difficult to even insert to the ROM. Doing good scripts is even tougher. So I don't do it.

So for me, Scripting is the most difficult part as of things I've tried to do.
    Scripting is not hard it's just people think it's hard if you learn it, it's easy

DonGGaMilo

Red Special Creator
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2017
    I think hardest skills is scripting setflags, checkflags. maybe i have to training them.

Back