• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Hardest Sinnoh Gym Leader?

Which Sinnoh Gym Leader was hardest?

• Total voters
    Years
    We already have a "hardest Gym Leader" thread for HG/SS, so we should have one for D/P/Pt!

Which of the Gym Leaders in Sinnoh gave you the most trouble and why?

Also, cast your votes in the poll above if you like!

In my opinion I think Maylene gave me a lot of trouble, that darn Lucario...

Fantina comes a close second due to most of her Pokemon having high Special Attack or inflicting you with status problems.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I don't know why,but I had a crap load of troble on Gardenia. Liek I said I do not know why,I geuss because my starter was a Piplup. All the other gyms I borrowed through with cake other then maybe Bryon because of the high defence he had on his pokemon,but didn't give me much trouble.

Years
    I chose Volkner because i never really had a counter for him until i started picking Turtwig. But on my first run of Diamond i'd have to say Volkner

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    Hardest Sinnoh Gym Leader? i think that volkner is one of the best trainers in the anime series i think that they should bring him back as an elite four member he is a amazing trianer and i love his character

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I found Maylene to be the hardes personally for me. Just because she had the domination machine of a Lucario which wiped out even my highly trained Staravia! It took me about 5 battles to defeat her, waaaay more than I've ever taken to battle a gym leader.

/ignorethativotedforcandice.

In Fair Verona

4BR4 C4D4V3R
    Years
    It has to be Gardenia. When I first played Diamond, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't seem to beat her Roserade. I was underleveled at the time, but it still shouldn't have been a problem. None of the other Gym Leaders posed much of a threat throughout the game (Candice putting up a little bit of a fight due to me having no Fire- or Rock-types).

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    Since I always start with Chimchar right now, Crasher Wake always gives me the freak. I never bother training a Grass Type or an electric type before hand, (since very few good Pokemon exists), so I really have a hard time battling him. Yes, Infernape could learn Grass Knot and such, but he is most of the time my physical sweeper. Therefore, Mach Punch cannot simply destory his team, especially that Gyarados.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Two words. Candice's Froslass. Unless you can get rid of the Hail and/or have someone quick with Shadow Punch/Faint Attack, it is gonna hurt you bad.

With that said, I didn't really struggle much against any of the Gym Leaders, but I don't have a hard time with them in any game, so...

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2012
    I only played the D/P game once, and the only Gym I struggled with was the Grass one.

My Pokemon at the time were Prinplup and Luxio. Not a good team against Grass. I think after I defeated her I was angry that I realized I could have gotten a Ponyta, or that I was angry that they didn't let me get one before I battled her.. Can't remember which.

The rest of the Sinnoh Gyms were easy for me. I had to retry like 5 times to beat Gardenia.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    None really...challenged me too much to the point of needing to grind more, really, for myself anyway. I guess CRASHER WAKE's Gyarados was interesting to take on in the times I did not have an electric type/move, and Maylene's Lucario was often dangerous, but otherwise they did not give me too much trouble.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
    Actually none was hard but if i'm going to judge them then it was Maylene who was a slight of a problem but I did beat her the first time.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    The only one I ever had trouble with was Maylene, and I don't even remember that all that much, because I played through the game so many times. I guess Volkner was a little hard, compared to the rest of the gym leaders, but I still defeated him without too much difficulty. I only ever lost to Maylene once or twice the very first time I tried to face her when I got Diamond. It was mainly because I didn't know what exactly Lucario was type-wise.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    To be honest, I don't really remember, but when I started with Turtwig, Candice was hard for me because of Torterra's 4x Ice weakness.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I'd have to say Fantina. She always seemed to beat me whenever challenged her. And believe it or not, Roark in Pearl because of Cranidos.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Fantina's stupid Mismagius. Her other Pokemon were cake, but for some reason that Mismagius had a higher speed than everything I had at the time and would always destroy me. Shadow ball would crush almost everything, if that didn't do it, that Magical Leaf of hers would kill me. Gosh.

Years
    the hardest for me was valkner because my best two pokemon werre empoleon&luxray which were pretty much useless against him

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I've got to say fantina was a walk in the park for my skuntank which knocked out gengar and driftbloon in one hit and mismagicus in two. If I had gotten pearl with no skuntank on the otherhand.....
    I think Valkner is proberly the hardest. On my current Diamandplay through I've got nothing to counter him with and I remember how hard he was last time so not looking forward to it (oh, why isn't my Rampardos part ground?). Candice comes a close second

Back