• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Hardest struggle in Crystal so far

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    What part of Crystal in your current playthrough has been the hardest/most annoying to deal with?

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    In my original playthrough ... I'm going to have to say Claire. It took me a few years of playing this series for me not to be a compulsive TM hoarder, so it made defeating the Lady of Dragons more difficult than it needed to be.

Sirfetch’d

Training Smoochum to level 37! I am trying to hold my Smoochum from evolving until level 37 so it can learn Psychic but damn it's been a challenge. It's really strong with Ice Punch but is sooo frail haha.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    So far my hardest struggle has been Whitney, of course. Beat her on my second try though.

Years
  • I would say either getting useable pokeballs or the level curb. My whole team was 5 levels lower than Jasmine's Steelix or more. Yet I battled every trainer I could walk or swim to in game, even rematched several of them, used rare candy and fought wild Pokemon for extra exp yet I'm still underlevelled :/

I would probably say the lack of proper pokeballs has been more stressful though. It takes a dozen great balls sometimes to catch one furret on low health. This costs me so much time and money. An ultra ball can't be purchased until the last gym, but long before this you have to go up against Sudowuddo, the red gyarados, potentially the legendary dogs too and random shiny encounters. Yet you have almost nothing to catch Pokemon with! Many pokeballs don't work properly due to glitches. The moon ball doesn't have an increased catch rate on moon stone evolution Pokemon or any others-- its worthless. The love ball does the opposite of what its supposed to do. The fast ball doesn't work on almost any fleeing Pokemon like it was designed to.Common status conditions like paralysis modify your catch rate by 0 rather than 8.

Last edited:

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • i never found anything hard in gen 2 to be honest the only thing that shocked in the communities once i first started frequent pokemon sites in gen 3 era was that ppeople actually thought whitney was a hard trainer to beat she never was to me, i had lot more trouble with clair back then, whitney was no harder then any other gym, but what i did struggle with in the vc version was hunting down the legendary beasts it took me days to find raikou and entei just so i could get ho-oh

Years
  • Trying to get Growlithe before the first gym.

Its capture rate at full health and throwing a PokeBall is around 25% in that small grassy spot above the Ruins of Alph. And it knows two moves: Bite and Roar. It's like a baby Entei except it doesn't flee, it makes YOU flee.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    Trying to get Growlithe before the first gym.

Its capture rate at full health and throwing a PokeBall is around 25% in that small grassy spot above the Ruins of Alph. And it knows two moves: Bite and Roar. It's like a baby Entei except it doesn't flee, it makes YOU flee.

Baby Entei! I love that! :D

But, yeah, seriously. Growlithe is a game-breaker to add to your roster if you picked a totodile.

Years
  • Baby Entei! I love that! :D

But, yeah, seriously. Growlithe is a game-breaker to add to your roster if you picked a totodile.

And I picked a Totodile too! It was either getting Growlithe or grinding my Pokemon to get through Sprout Tower since I hadn't decided on a bird pokemon yet.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Catching the Farfetch'd in Ilex Forest. Took me about 15 minutes since I didn't know where I was supposed to lead it.

EDIT: Never mind that! Just spent about half an hour catching a Pinsir in the Bug Catching Contest. Had to encounter it three times as I only had one Pokémon in my party and had no way of healing it. Definitely the hardest part of my Crystal playthrough so far.

Last edited:

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    The catching glitches makes it very hard to catch Pokémon - I've never really failed a Pokémon so far but I used my Master Ball on my Shiny Celebi just to be sure it doesn't get away.

As a kid, I remember Whitney was the hardest challenge in the game, while I don't remember Claire being that hard. On the VC version, I one-shot Whitney's Miltank but Claire almost wiped my team. I was prepared for her Thunder Wave spamming but I didn't remember her Dragonair had Thunderbolt. My Azumarill didn't stand a chance. I also struggled a lot with the Champion - I decided to take on the league with my Pokémon being Lv. 34-40 just to have Eevee evolve into Espeon. Decided to keep pushing until I couldn't, but I still managed to beat Lance with only a Pokémon left

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Whitney gave me no issues this playthrough and nor did Clair.

The hardest Gym Leader for me was Morty and his Gengar. The use of Curse also meant I couldn't just put something to sleep and set up with Victrebell. Ended up beating him with a boosted Victreebell in the end anyway, luckily Ghost moves are Physical this Gen.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Catching pokemon early on does seem harder than in most games and I'm fairly poor because of it.

In terms of battles, Sliver's second appearance and Bugsy(I actually had a harder time fighting him than Whitney) gave me some trouble. I was unprepared when I fought with Sliver. While with Bugsy, I didn't have many Pokemon that can counter his Scyther, aside from Butterfree and Teddiursa(to some degree).

Back