• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader

Which Gym Leader gave the hardest challenge for you?

• Total voters

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
Years
  • I've only beaten 5 gym leaders but I think Elesa was kinda hard. Beat her on my second try. Clay was a breeze for me but Lenora was kinda tricky. But I beat all the gym leaders so far in 1 try except for Elesa :(

HiroUey

Pokemon Master of Masters!
    Years
  • Just finished the last gym leader yesterday and i have to say, Lenora was the most difficult. Elesa was easy thanks to Gurdurr and Rock Throw. For Drayden i found that the moves Surf and Low Kick were quite effective against his Dragon types.

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I don't waste my money on stuff that heals my Pokemon in Gym battles.

I think most of the gyms are easy, except for the Bug Gym.
    All because I forgot to train up my fire monkey, and had no fire moves.
    Sumarott was weak against grass and Musharna was obviously weak against bug.
    But that was obviously my own mistake.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • I would have to say Elesa, her Emoglas were a pain in the butt. >____>
    This.

I really did not expect Elesa's Emolga to be a pain in the butt. I thought they were this generation's Pachirisu, except with no weakness. There's 2 of them. And both of them spammed Volt Switch. I was lucky I caught a Sandile to weaken one of them, otherwise my Archen wouldn't be able to defeat the rest.

I was wondering why except for Elesa, no other gym leader posed a challenge.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Lenora. Seriously, she's Unova Region's Whitney. Ą_Ą
    Luckily i managed to trick her with my Zangoose-Counter strategy.
    PS: I like to laugh at people who thought Elesa was hard.

Nameless.

Lenora is still the strongest for me. ;O;
    Her Watchog is the biggest pain. I had to spam Awakenings and Potions constantly throughout the battle until I finally got an opening to attack.
    Herdier's Take Down sure isn't the easiest either, but it was much easier than Watchog was. She took out two out of four of my Pokemon, and Snivy was down to red hp when I finally took Watchog out. ._.

I swear, Hypnosis never hits when I use it, but it hits constantly when an opponent uses it. >__>

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    None of the gym leaders were hard, Lenora was quite easy, which was strange. I had just caught a Sawk and I forgot it was in my party when I challenged her, but it ended up OHKOing all of Lenora's Pokémon.... o_O

Drayden was difficult, because I was underleveled. I didn't lose, but it was still tough.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • I swear, Hypnosis never hits when I use it, but it hits constantly when an opponent uses it. >__>

Is it only me or does every darn Herdier that trainers have crit constantly with Take Down? Lenora and every random trainer seems to have a 50% critical chance with Take Down.

Years
  • So far it's been Elesa, and her two Emogla using that volt attack that made them keep switching. Really was a pain for my team.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Having just gotten the eighth badge today, for me it was Clay. He was the only one I lost to and battled more than once. At the time a few of my Pokemon still were in their first forms, so they got destroyed by the physical attacks.

valor555

The Only Light in the Deep Sea
    Years
  • I found Lenora to be the most challenging as well, her watchogs hypnosis never missed at all TT_TT.
    But Elesa was sooo easy for my Zebstrika, Emolga couldn't volt switch me and shock wave made double team a complete fail and mine was faster than her zebstrika so i flame charged it to death

Shattered_Soul

Just Because :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    I'd have to say Clay.

However the most annoying was defiantly Elesa. Like many others said. Volt switch was hard to put up with.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • Elesa was very easy for me, with my Zebstraika.
    Lenora, was challlenging for me, because her Watchog's Hypnosis never missed, then she'd confuse me. But I still never lost to a Gym Leader.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Lenora was probably the hardest mainly due to the fact that I hadn't grinded much at that point, and it was hard to early on due to the exp system changing and having less trainers to fight.

Everyone else was pretty easy due to super effective moves from my team. :)

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • Drayden was definitely the hardest. I figured out after the first trainer that I had better have someone who had an ice move. since Samurott couldn't learn frost breath I caught a Vanilite and used the Lucky egg and Audinos to get it up to a Vaniluxe in order to make headway into that gym.

GlalieX

Ruler of Illusion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2012
    Hardest for me were Elesa and Iris. Cilan was hard before I had Pansear too.

Back