• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hardest Unova Gym Leader?

Who is the hardest Unova Gym Leader?

• Total voters

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    Lenora was the only gym leader that took me more than one try. Stupid Watchog. >_<

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    For me it's easily Lenora with that damn Herdier, even with my Pignite and its type advantage over her Herdier and Watchog I found myself trying at least 8 times in succession before claiming victory after a long and grueling bout. I thought Elesa would be pretty tough too but I swept through her team pretty easily with my then newly evolved Emboar at the time lol.

NidoJosh

Unleash your inner Nidocity
    Years
    Lenora was for me and also Elesa ><
    Both were annoying

Lenora was for me and also Elesa ><
    Both were annoying

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Chili.
    I decided not to use the Panpour I was given, and suffered for it.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Cilan/Chili/Cress can be very hard if you don't get one of the monkeys.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    Lenora, her Herdier and Watchog and both evolved pokemon where all my team were still unevolved. Herdiers Take Down was seriously strong and her Watchogs Hypnosis never seems to miss.
    I had some trouble with Iris as well.

DualBlade

The Umbreon Lover
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 24, 2013
    I would say Elesa. That Emolga just wiped my Dewott and my rest of my pokemon out...then i went out traveling, then i caught a sandile, THEN I PWN HER FTW!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Elesa was easy on 2/3 of my play-through's :x So... for once she isn't!

Lenora and the first gym were the ones I struggled with on my first play-through though because I was underlevelled. :(

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Lenora was pretty hard (because it as pretty much in the beginning), Elesa, and Clay.

Years
    depends though. Lenora is quite difficult to defeat because of her Watchog's Retaliate. :\ Swept through my team easily.

Always Lenora. By time of being at other gyms, I usually have something to get the badge with. Laughed when it showed to be an Illuminate Watchog. Good ol' Sturdy Roggenrola

The Dragon gym has more problems for me. Dragon Dance Fraxure mainly.

Palcks

some nights.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 30, 2012
    I voted for Drayden, just because he's the only one (plus Iris) that gave me trouble in these games. Lenora and Elesa were tough for me depending on the game, really. Sometimes I easily beat them and sometimes I couldn't. >< But Drayden/Iris always gives me problems, I'm terrible against Dragon-types. fjsdkadsg

Years
    While Elesa's duo of Emolga proved difficult to nearly every team I used, I think that Lenora is by far the hardest. Her Herdier is pretty bulky and hits hard, so even that proves a formidable foe, but her Watchog is by far the hardest Pokemon to take down, in all of Unova. Once you finish off Herdier, you're looking at a 140 BP STAB Retaliate, which OHKOs pretty much every Pokemon you can get at that point, save Roggenrola. Crunch and Retaliate without the boost also tend to hit pretty hard, both having extremely high base powers for a Pokemon in only the Second Gym. Hypnosis is probably the main reason why this thing is annoying, if you don't have any Awakenings, then your chances of winning are slim to none, as you're effectively taking attacks which probably KO your Pokemon in 2-3 hits, while trying to wake up. Watchog too strongth x)

Ironically enough, though, Lenora is also my favorite Unova Gym Leader.

Back