• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Harper Lee shockingly corrupts Atticus Finch

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    So the first review for Harper Lee's sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird has come out (despite the full book not yet being available - though the first chapter has been released) and... well, it's disheartening to see what's become of Atticus Finch in the years since TKAM.

link/full review

We remember Atticus Finch in Harper Lee's 1960 classic, "To Kill a Mockingbird," as that novel's moral conscience: kind, wise, honorable, an avatar of integrity who used his gifts as a lawyer to defend a black man falsely accused of raping a white woman in a small Alabama town filled with prejudice and hatred in the 1930s. As indelibly played by Gregory Peck in the 1962 movie, he was the perfect man — the ideal father and a principled idealist, an enlightened, almost saintly believer in justice and fairness. In real life, people named their children after Atticus. People went to law school and became lawyers because of Atticus.

"Go Set A Watchman," a follow-up to Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird." Credit HarperCollins
    In "Mockingbird," a book once described by Oprah Winfrey as "our national novel," Atticus praised American courts as "the great levelers," dedicated to the proposition that "all men are created equal." In "Watchman," set in the 1950s in the era of the Brown v. Board of Education decision, he denounces the Supreme Court, says he wants his home state "to be left alone to keep house without advice from the N.A.A.C.P." and describes N.A.A.C.P.-paid lawyers as "standing around like buzzards."

In "Mockingbird," Atticus was a role model for his children, Scout and Jem — their North Star, their hero, the most potent moral force in their lives. In "Watchman," he becomes the source of grievous pain and disillusionment for the 26-year-old Scout (or Jean Louise, as she's now known).

While written in the third person, "Watchman" reflects a grown-up Scout's point of view: The novel is the story of how she returns home to Maycomb, Ala., for a visit — from New York City, where she has been living — and tries to grapple with her dismaying realization that Atticus and her longtime boyfriend, Henry Clinton, both have abhorrent views on race and segregation.

I still want to read the book, but it's scary to think about what's become of Atticus.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    What THe Fuck? nothing about this book makes me want to read it aside from the fact that Harper Lee wrote it. like, I'm still gonna, but I am approaching with caution.

Years
    I'd be willing to bet that it's mostly a plot device, something shocking enough to the reader to make them realize racism and the ghosts of segregation/Jim Crow are alive and well in the present day and it's not just the civil rights campaign of yesteryear, forgotten and whatnot. But still, like what the fuck, TKAM is sacred reading in this country and I almost can't believe she'd make that monumental of a change.

Years
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I never really cared for To Kill A Mockingbird. I mean, it had a good message, etc. etc., but I never enjoyed reading it. This one sounds like it could have a similarly good message, that people who you think are good people can become bad and that there's a murky vein of racism running through everyone. That sounds like something people need to read. If anything it makes me a little more like to try TKAM again.

If all this means that something, a character, that's beloved by lots of people, gets tarnished, well, I think that might be part of the lesson.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I'm actually in the middle of Go Set a Watchman right now, and it is really turning out to be fantastic. Although I love Atticus from To Kill a Mockingbird, the "new" Atticus makes his character a lot more realistic for a man of his time period. The novel really does a good job of using this character "change" to make Scout actually question her childhood and the man who raised her. I'm not exactly sure where the book will go from where I am at now, but I'm really interested to see Harper Lee continue to explore Scout's thoughts as she reacts to her father's actions.
    Also, I think this will give TKAM another angle - showing that perhaps Scout's idyllic world with her ahead-of-his-time, morally astute father may have been something that was only true as young Scout saw it. Perhaps Atticus hasn't changed at all, only her perception of his person has.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I just finished reading the book and... well, I'm disappointed. Not to do with the fall of Atticus (though fall is a pretty subjective word by the end of the book), but how it really does just come off as a draft, a collection of reminiscences and a muddled moral viewpoint. There's a difference between complex and muddled and unfortunately, it's just a muddled draft that should have stayed buried. There are some fantastic individual scenes, mind you, and I think the last fifth of the book will be remembered above all else - the unbridled Southern fury of Jean Louise as she takes on Atticus will definitely assure an Oscar for whoever takes part in the film adaptation of the book. The scorching flames she delivers to her fallen father are felt even harder when compared to the Scout we all know in TKAM, the girl who saw nothing but her 50 something father with a modest halo. But ultimately, the book comes off as the sentimental and brutal recollections from the mind of present day, 89 year old Harper Lee despite it having been written over half a century ago. Essential reading for the knowledge of a truer, more realistic Atticus - not much good for anything else.

Back