• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has anybody ever made fun of you for liking Pokemon?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    No, because they don't know, and if they did make fun of me then something bad would happen because of the people who i hang out with don't like their friends being made fun of lol xD

Tears In The Rain

Thirsty, purposeless Vampire
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Nope, my best friend and I were the ones that made fun of Pokemon in the seventh grade when we were first hearing of it...or well I was I am not sure about her.

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    Well, sometimes people give me funny looks, but when they find out some of the 'harder' guys in my school like it; they keep quiet and just look stunned. :D lol my school's funny x)

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Of course I have, people who don't really understand the concept have made fun of me but my friends haven't. They have been very supportive of it, as they also remember enjoying the games and they don't care if I am into it. There are some friends that I haven't told so they wouldn't think I am weird but if they found out I really wouldn't care. This place has been a great getaway from all those people and I enjoy talking to everyone here about something I really like.

Years
  • I used to get laughed at for liking it. None of my friends were gamers so they didn't understand that Pokemon wasn't just for kids :(

walasaka

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • Hmm. My little sister knows I play Pokemon, and recently discovered I wrote fanfic. I dread to think what would have happened when I was at school and people had noticed I wrote Pokefics... That has an extra bad connotations (especially because people automatically assume they're dirty stories).

I tested it once by leaving amazon open on diamond and my girlfriend took over the laptop for internet use. She turned around, looked at me and started laughing. Yeah, so basically I avoid that topic with her. Yep, Pokecommunity, ff.net, bulbapedia and serebii history deleting when I'm at her place ^_^

No but seriously I think actually she'd accept it as one of my quirks, I just dunno if I want to face the initial tears of laughter...

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • Thanks. I know most of my pokemon are weak against Ice Types, but a lot of them are the teams I had in LG and Emerald. I try to have a well-balanced team. Ever since I heard about Platinum (and rematching Gym Leaders and Barry at level 80s), I tried getting strong Pokemon instead of always doing a new game after beating the Champion.

Charizard knows Focus Blast, Blast Burn, Shadow Claw, and Fly.
    Blastoise knows Earthquake, Surf, Waterfall, and Blizzard.
    Fire, Rock, and Fighting can defeat Ice Types.

(I'll try getting a Corsola, Machamp, Weavile, Smoochum, (I need more Ice Types ...and Bug Types.) (I'm trying to get as many level 100 pokemon as possible, but I raise them from low levels.) I'll get Jolteon when I do a new game in LeafGreen. (I'll get Espeon/Umbreon when I get HGSS. I'll also get Typhlosion and Feraligatr. (I have Meganium in the level 40s. It was a birthday present from a friend. It hatched on my birthday so I'm the original trainer. ^_^) I usually don't use Dragon types, but I raised them in Emerald, because I wanted to complete the Hoenn dex to get a Johto starter, but my stupid ex kept my Sapphire version (and FireRed). >:( Dragonite was the Dratini I got from the Game Corner in LeafGreen. (My current Platinum party is my party from Leafgreen that was migrated. Torterra was my starter in Diamond. (Originally, it was Empoleon, but I did a new game.) My party changes every time I do a new game. After my party is in the level 60s, I migrate them to Platinum.) I'll be sure to get some good Johto Pokemon from Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

Anyone who makes fun of someone else for liking Pokemon can go sniff the inside of a dumpster. Pokemon is classic and nostalgic. Back in 4th grade, I used to watch pokemon. I stopped in fifth grade because I didn't know what time it went on, but in 7th grade, I was at my cousin's house for a pool party, and she had Gold version. She let me play it. It was AWESOME! My starter was Chikorita.) I got excited when I first caught a Magikarp! Ever since 7th grade, I played the games. First Gold (got my own), then Red (I regretted, because everything was Red and the Gold sprites were better. I wanted Crystal instead.) Eventually, I got Crystal version. Then I got Sapphire. (The commercial was cool. I liked how it showed it raining on a route.) After that, I got Emerald. Then I got Silver at Gamestop (it was cheap). After that, I got Diamond. Now I have Platinum. I can't wait for HGSS. There are so many cute pokemon. I watch the show once in a while. I missed a lot of the Johto episodes unfortunately. I watched the Advanced and Battle Frontier episodes sometimes, but not all of them. (I missed Ash vs. Wattson.) I watch some of the DP episodes, but they are kind of boring. :/ (I hate Piplup's dubbed voice. I'd rather hear "Pocha! Pocha!"

Last semester, I went to go see a school play (at the high school for an assignment), the brats (my ex-friends) on stage made fun of me, and made fun of Pokemon. I hate phony people. :( I left the show early. (The acting wasn't even good btw.)

However, last semester, I made a friend with my classmate on the bus. He has Pokemon Diamond. I had a battle with him and beat him. It was a close match. (He EV trains.) I don't EV train.

I think you should be proud of your accomplishments with a hobby you enjoy and you shouldn't stop for anybody. From what I've noticed is the people who are stupid enough to mock you for an honest and good hobby are too slow to be good friends anyways.

I really do wish I had good friends that enjoyed Pokemon. It'd make my experience a little more full. A few of my friends know I play. They don't make fun of me but I never talk about it.

Moskau

Oh, dear...
    Years
  • Yep, I get teased! But when they see that it doesn't bother me, they usually let it go right away! :)

Years
  • Nope. All my friends love Pokemon. My girlfriend thinks it's cute that I play the games. In fact, we were just talking about what a great Pokemon Eevee is today.

Hahaha. My girlfriend thinks it's cute too. She never got into it though like how it was when it first came out and when we were kids. I think she'd like to play the games.

As for me liking pokemon, I've been mocked a few times. But who cares? We all like what we like.

EDIT: Since we're all bragging about teams... =P Mine are all level 100.

Kanto:

Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise, Raichu, Pidgeot, Alakazam

Nidoking, Dragonite, Marowak (THICK CLUB / DOUBLE-EDGE FTW!!), Aerodactyl, Moltres, Espeon

Johto:

Typhlosion, Tyranitar, Kingdra, Jolteon, Gengar, Skarmory

Hoenn:

Blaziken, Walrein, Electrode, Salamence, Metagross, Aggron

Sinnoh:

Torterra, Gyarados, Luxray, Magmortar, Rhyperior, Garchomp

I'd love to put movesets in but that would take forever.

Last edited:

rhswrestler215

National wrestler.
    Years
  • ahha no one makes fun of me for it!
    but thats probably because they know me as the "only guy from our school that can win the state tournament" bahaha.
    actually i did have someone make fun of me for it last year
    he did alot
    he also ended up up with a cracked jaw bone, a broken nose, and three broken ribs
    i think i won in the end(:

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
  • I have once or twice when I was really little, but not since then.

People tend to respect me now because I'm really good at the games, and have won three times as many trophies as they probably will in their lifetime because of it (;

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
  • No but seriously I think actually she'd accept it as one of my quirks, I just dunno if I want to face the initial tears of laughter...

That's how my Pokemon fandom is generally seen. I'm a quirky, but a nice guy so people just accept it as part of my off-beat nature. ^-^

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • All of my friends in my English Lit classes know I play it (most of my FB updates these days are about Emerald and how much I want to murder my own father for being so darn difficult to beat -.-) but none of them can talk because they're mostly either gamerheads or sci-fi nuts XD We had a nice in-depth discussion the other day about the practicality of being a Transformer which began with the girl next to me fangirling my Bumblebee pencil case. x3

So yeah. I'm sure the sports students would beat the crap out of me, and my old housemates used to sneer at me for how long I spend on my DS, but my small crazy group of booklovers don't really care all that much. And that's why I <3 them all. XD

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
  • YES. Two (or more...) certain people make fun of me when I see them. First thing they say every time is: "[My name]mon! do you STILL play pokemon? Lol." All this because I was stupid enough to say I play out loud. Should have been smarter back then... (About four or five years ago.) I am now, thank god.

.Chocolate.

n_n no.
    Years
  • Yeah I sometimes do actually.xD But nobody in my school knows I like pokemon, only my sisters and brother.
    Sometimes I mock pokemon, just for the lolz but I'm not being offensive at all.

MarstheCar

I lurk often.
    Years
  • Does having people look at you like you've grown flowers on your head count? I was given that in 8th grade over breeding with a friend. A classmate overheard and gave us that look.

Back