• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Death

The Pale Horseman
Years
  • I just started today and am already forty Honedges in. hehe

And since it's almost Christmas and the IV turn out of these Honedges are 4-5 perfect IVs, I think I'll throw some of them into Wonder Trade.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2014
    it took 400 or s for my shiny ghastly, then only 5 for shiny zorua. working on fennekin now for me and my son only about 60 eggs in do about 90 in about 3 hours if i get spare time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Well. I hatched a shiny Vupix with terrible stats, wrong ability and its male, but who cares?
    It was like my 50th egg. Good! Considering I have done 1,800+ with no luck before.

What are the chances of a shiny anyway!

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Well. I hatched a shiny Vupix with terrible stats, wrong ability and its male, but who cares?
    It was like my 50th egg. Good! Considering I have done 1,800+ with no luck before.

What are the chances of a shiny anyway!
    1 in 836, or something like that, using Masuda Method.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • I have a long story on my hunt for a shiny gooey goomy. Well, I start the hunt like on thanksgiving, but due to another game I bought, I only hatch like 10 egg each day. When I was eventually done with that game, I went back to resume my hunt. Week passed and so did the egg count. Eventually like 5 day ago, I hatch a shiny one with hydration in 2114 egg ._. So I decided to press on for another one. In about 478 egg, I get another one...with sap sipper. It ironic, as I said I probably get three shiny goomy with each of it ability. Well here I am, currently at 175 egg. Anyway everybody hope you complete your hunt and have a merry Christmas.

Edit: I mostly likely will edit this post with picture off all three...or more goomy when I get my hidden ability one.

Years
  • I tried this method twice, once with charmander, once with pichu's, and I guess I was both times lucky quite fast (if you look at the actual odds). With charmander already the 385th egg, pichu the 146th egg. :)
    I plan on using this technique again soon

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • My 246th Egg turned out to be a shiny Honedge, correct nature and four relevant perfect IVs.

I'm... not exactly satisfied yet, and I'll try a bit more and see if I can hatch one with more perfect IVs. haha

edit.
    Okay, got another shiny adamant Honedge on my 291st egg with 5 Perfect IVs sans Sp. Atk.

I'm definitely going to try this method again on another Pokemon.

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Finally got my shiny Eevee! :)

I never bother to keep track of how many eggs it takes, but it was a hefty total to be sure. I always take breaks between attempts, though, and breed other Pokemon; So it's never a completely grueling process.

Thank you Monsieur Masuda!

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2014
    It doesn't matter. As long as you have two Pokémon with different home locations, you have increased chances to get a shiny (about 1/1365 in generation V, I don't know if it was boosted in generation VI).

I haven't been able to find numbers for the Masuda method in Gen VI; however, I did find the mechanics for how it works in Gen IV and Gen V. It attempts 5 times in Gen IV and 6 times in Gen V to produce a shiny egg. The overall chance of getting a shiny was modified in Gen VI (1/4096, up from 1/8192). Therefore, I have predicted the chance of obtaining a shiny with the Masuda method in Gen VI to be about 1/683.083 or about .146%.

To show what this means, though, see http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+f(x)=100-100[%284095%2F4096%29^%286x%29]+from+x%3D0+to+x%3D3000
    this represents the chance of getting at least one shiny after x number of attempts. It's not close to 100% until about 3,000, and even then the chance will never be 100%. Yes, the equation in there looks a little weird, but Wolfram Alpha seems to be promising me that it's equivalent to what I wanted (which you can see at http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=100-100+(4095/4096)^(6+x)&lk=1&a=ClashPrefs_*Math-). Also, the graph looks right, as I did it a while ago with Excel. Without the Masuda Method, (excluding chaining based methods that I don't know much about), it should take about 15,000 eggs to be practically guaranteed a shiny.

Basically, it shouldn't take much more than 3,000 eggs to get a shiny, which seems to be consistent with what people have been posting.

Source: Bulbapedia
    "The secret ID and Trainer ID byte words are first xored together, and then the first byte word of the personality value is xored with the second byte word of the personality value. If the xor of these two results is less than eight, then the Pokémon is Shiny. This results in a probability of 8 in 65536; simplified as 1/8192 (2-13, or 0.01220703125%), just as in Generation II."
    "Prior to Generation VI, if E xor F is less than 8, then the Pokémon is Shiny. In Generation VI, the Pokémon is Shiny if E xor F is less than 16. Therefore, in Generation VI, the chance of finding a Shiny Pokémon is doubled to 1/4096 (2-12, or 0.0244140625%)."
    "An internal marker on each Pokémon identifies their "home location", 0x17. If the game recognizes the two Pokémon in the daycare as having different home locations, then when an Egg is generated, the game will attempt to generate a personality value that results in a Shiny Pokémon up to four extra times in Generation IV and five extra times in Generation V.[2] "
    (4 additional and 5 additional ---> 5 and 6

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    I got a shiny Eevee on my 2nd egg using this method. And another Shiny Eevee the egg after. I'm not sure of the chances, but damn was I happy. Never lucky with this kind of thing either, so it's such a shock. Only a bunch more to go, so I have a shiny version of each evolution :3

Years
  • I've been breeding my Ditto and a japanese Beldum, but still no luck.
    I have a box full of Beldums right now. I traded a Beldum in Wonder Trade and I got a Chimchar.
    Yeah I need to more patient.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I hatched a 5IV Litwick with Heat Wave last night. <3 Took about 600 eggs. I had got another shiny Litwick at around 250 eggs, but it had a 22 speed IV, so I decided to keep going. Was worth it. ^_^

Before I got the Shiny Charm, a shiny Eevee and Sneasel took me well over 1000 eggs each. So the charm has definitely helped so far - the Litwicks were my first project with it. :)

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2014
    Starting my shiny Tepig hunt today, will post updates.
    I hope to one day see the fluttering azure flames!

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    im at 810 eggs trying for a shiny mudkip, I'm not having any luck, but i have to ask: My ditto is spanish, my mudkip is japanese, and im from England, does the MM still work, or does one of the parents have to be from england?

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • im at 810 eggs trying for a shiny mudkip, I'm not having any luck, but i have to ask: My ditto is spanish, my mudkip is japanese, and im from England, does the MM still work, or does one of the parents have to be from england?
    Still works. The Pokemon just have to be from two different regions; one of them does NOT have to be your own region :)

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 12, 2014
    I tried with a Mawile once and I got about 100 eggs in until I decided that I should just continue the main story, but a week later I unintentionally got a shiny Charmander while I was breeding for Dragon moves. I had completely forgotten that my Ditto in the day care was foreign. It was my 6th egg.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Recent hatch:

Shiny Fennekin, hatch at 11:56pm, 4 minutes from the new year. You can't make this stuff up!
    It was like my 250-300th egg :)

Chespin however... 800 eggs in with no luck :(

Back