• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    The only Pokemon I ever hatched was a Togepi I was breeding. I had a 5iv male someone gave to me to help me breed with the 4iv female which had egg moves and was in a Heal Ball. Essentially I wanted to get a 5iv female in a Heal Ball so I could breed for trading etc.

Hours of breeding only give me 5iv male Togepis, and after a couple hundred eggs I get a shiny Togepi. Go to check it's IVs, Superior with only 3 perfect IVs. Literally one of the worst I'd received. And in my next batch I get a 5iv female.

Imagine if I had that female and was guaranteed at least a 4iv shiny :(

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    Question!

Question #1: If I remove Greninja that I want a shiny off of, and put him/her back into the daycare with a Jap Ditto, will that mess up the probablity or reset it?

Question #2: What if I used a Froakie that was hatched from an egg that Greninja had in place of Greninja in the daycare, will that give me a different probablity or luck for a shiny? Or would it still be the same as Greninja?
    #1: Only if you are superstitious like me. The probability only occurs when the egg is generated. The game calculates the chance that the day-care man will have an egg first, then RNG the egg.

#2: Same probability. Be aware, though, that Froakie and Greninja aren't considered "same species". If you try to breed two of your own together, the percentage of eggs will be low. Since you are using a foreign to breed, it shouldn't matter much. Different species from the same egg group and being different regions is still a 50% egg chance.

Nusdogg

6IV Shiny Master
    Years
    #1: Only if you are superstitious like me. The probability only occurs when the egg is generated. The game calculates the chance that the day-care man will have an egg first, then RNG the egg.

#2: Same probability. Be aware, though, that Froakie and Greninja aren't considered "same species". If you try to breed two of your own together, the percentage of eggs will be low. Since you are using a foreign to breed, it shouldn't matter much. Different species from the same egg group and being different regions is still a 50% egg chance.

Thanks. Yeah, I used a Froakie with timid nature unlike Greninja with Lax and evolved it to Frogadier with Everstone then gave him to daycare. I was hoping it would change the chances of getting a shiny.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    I was able to get the method to work last night after only 8 eggs. Now im the proud owner of a shiney Charizard :) Trying for an Amphorose now.

LUCKY! I've only got two full boxes of Charmanders, and already I'm pretty sick of riding backkk and forth, backkk and forth down route 7... Though I'm not using a Japanese Ditto (YET... Bastard is hard to find, truly..), I feel that if I just keep trying, each encounter raises the chances of the next encounter being a shiny by whatever miniscule amount...

Anybody feel the way I do? lol

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    I was luckily able to get a shiny Honedge in under 60 eggs! My next challenge is to get a shiny Breloom.

Years
    Last night I managed to hatch this shiny Glameow in only sixteen and a half boxes! I seem to be getting lucky lately!
    My Fennekin did take fifty-one-and-a-quatre though lol.

Has anybody gotten a Masuda Method Shiny yet?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    My masuda method shinies so far were:
    Froakie - I was explaining how the masuda method worked to my younger brother while watching videos on my PC and, as he left to go to bed I stay and hatch the eggs left in my party. To my surprise, the third one was a shiny making it 23 eggs overall.

Torchic - This was a fairly lucky one too. After roughly 260 eggs of MMing for Pinsir and breeding pokebank pokemon (with a japanese ditto) combined I switch to MMing for Torchic and the 7th egg was the one carrying the shine. Amazingly, this is probably the most eggs it took me to get a shiny through Masuda Method, even if you count my Black shinies.

Totodile - The following day to hatching Torchic I decide to MM for Totodile since I wanted one for a while and also wanted to comlete the monthly quest on the Shiny Hunter's Club. My incredible luck strikes again as I find out the 22nd egg yields the coveted shiny.

Currently MMing (in and out) for Bagon with 71 eggs hatched so far.

And if you plan on quitting on a shiny you've wanted for a long time, I advise you to keep going. You'll never get the shiny if you don't try right?

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
    Years
    • ~
    • Seen Dec 4, 2016
    MM has been my best (albeit slightly frustrating) friend this gen :D
    All the pretties I've managed to hatch so far are:

Male Noibat in a Luxury Ball, named Doctor Beat, took about a billion eggs and forever. Landed one with Frisk, but it's alright. He's super adorable but not competetively usable, and I sent him over to my copy of X to be a part of the team.

Female Phantump in a Dusk Ball, named The Cutter, took ~300-400 eggs I guess? She's got her hidden ability and 5 perfect IVs. Mm yeah. She's also a part of my X team (and I evolved her already). Sweet baby jesus those colours are lovely.

Female Furfrou in a Luxury Ball, named Super Trouper. I don't remember how long I spent hatchin' doggies for her but it wasn't too horrible. She's in my X team too and she looks super fabulous in all the different grooming styles. :D

Male Seviper in a Luxury Ball, named Toivo. He has the same father as the previous one (I don't want to imagine what a Furfrou would look like doin' the do with a Seviper... ) and took like ten eggs. I was super lucky with him, dang!

Female Feebas in a regular ball, named Volga. Ever since RSE I've wanted a shiny Milotic so bad and now I finally did it! I already evolved her, she has 3 perfect IVs and is ultra fabulous.

Male Swirlix in a Premier Ball (and part of his name contains 'foul language' so I'll just leave it out in case). He has 4 perfect IVs, Unburden and Belly Drum and I'm going to train him into a tasty, ferocious monster.

Male Pinsir in a Premier Ball, named Blues Away. I hatched him like ten minutes ago, after spending almost a week tirelessly hatching regular brown ones. He has 4 perfect IVs and some egg moves, and I have a feeling he'll be a lovely Mega. :B

When Bank comes out, I'm going to try a shiny Yamask (I want one in a Premier Ball for reasons so I need to transfer a female one of my own) because shiny Cofagrigus looks like a pink flip-flop and I want it.
    In the meantime I guess I can entertain myself by trying to get a shiny Tyrunt. Which one will be here first, Bank or my next hatched shiny? :Y

Years
    I'm currently doing this right now!
    Yes it does work!! Just 30 minutes ago I hatched a Shiny Eevee via MM. It took 24 eggs on a continuous streak. I've hatched 43 before with no luck and tried again tonight and so at 24 in a row I got one but if you total after 67 eggs i was able to obtain him. I think your chances increase if you are continuously hatching and not straying away from it! But that's just a hunch.

Update: Right before I posted this i was going to add a picture and forgetting it was on my phone and not my DS I pulled out the SD card without thinking.. closing the game.. without saving.
    Update2: So looks like if you saved the eggs in your PC and do something like I did- The egg that was shiny will still remain to be, just has to be hatched again (: So I have my Shiny eevee and now saved lol.

Now for those that don't know what Masuda Method is:
    By Breeding two pokemon from different origin, or country, the likelihood of a shiny hatching increased! SO! With that being said I suggest Wonder trading pokemon you will unlikely use or need and keep doing that until you get a pokemon you'd like to breed but from a different place. You'll know this because if you checks it's summary, it'll have JPN, KOR, SPA, etc. Stating it's from another country. Use that pokemon and one from your country to begin breeding. Fill up a couple boxes and then begin hatching and Repeat!
    If you want to know more about how I hatch my eggs then message me and I'll explain further!

Last edited:

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
    At about 240 Arons with no luck. I've taken a break for now to work on my Pokédex but I plan to go back after I finish getting the final evolutions on all the starters from every gen.
    My Aron that is in the Day Care with my Ditto is so high leveled it could take 9 freight trains to the face.....and then eat them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    MM has been my best (albeit slightly frustrating) friend this gen :D
    All the pretties I've managed to hatch so far are:

Male Noibat in a Luxury Ball, named Doctor Beat, took about a billion eggs and forever. Landed one with Frisk, but it's alright. He's super adorable but not competetively usable, and I sent him over to my copy of X to be a part of the team.

Female Phantump in a Dusk Ball, named The Cutter, took ~300-400 eggs I guess? She's got her hidden ability and 5 perfect IVs. Mm yeah. She's also a part of my X team (and I evolved her already). Sweet baby jesus those colours are lovely.

Female Furfrou in a Luxury Ball, named Super Trouper. I don't remember how long I spent hatchin' doggies for her but it wasn't too horrible. She's in my X team too and she looks super fabulous in all the different grooming styles. :D

Male Seviper in a Luxury Ball, named Toivo. He has the same father as the previous one (I don't want to imagine what a Furfrou would look like doin' the do with a Seviper... ) and took like ten eggs. I was super lucky with him, dang!

Female Feebas in a regular ball, named Volga. Ever since RSE I've wanted a shiny Milotic so bad and now I finally did it! I already evolved her, she has 3 perfect IVs and is ultra fabulous.

Male Swirlix in a Premier Ball (and part of his name contains 'foul language' so I'll just leave it out in case). He has 4 perfect IVs, Unburden and Belly Drum and I'm going to train him into a tasty, ferocious monster.

Male Pinsir in a Premier Ball, named Blues Away. I hatched him like ten minutes ago, after spending almost a week tirelessly hatching regular brown ones. He has 4 perfect IVs and some egg moves, and I have a feeling he'll be a lovely Mega. :B

When Bank comes out, I'm going to try a shiny Yamask (I want one in a Premier Ball for reasons so I need to transfer a female one of my own) because shiny Cofagrigus looks like a pink flip-flop and I want it.
    In the meantime I guess I can entertain myself by trying to get a shiny Tyrunt. Which one will be here first, Bank or my next hatched shiny? :Y
    I'd say you'll have 5 shiny tyrunts by the time Pokebank comes out. Grats on all those shinies.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
    I'm almost at 700 Eggs, still no luck on a shiny ralts (except the 70+ one, but that one doesn't count). But I actually don't mind, because if I weren't hatching hundreds of eggs, I wouldn't be playing Pokemon right now because I'd just be waiting for Pokebank.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2014
    Though I'm not using a Japanese Ditto (YET... Bastard is hard to find, truly..)

Use the GTS. Don't specify in the comments what you want, but put up anything you think is uncommon. I got a box of Ditto for a box of lv. 1 (crappy, no egg moves no IVs) Skarmory I hatched. I'd put one up on the GTS, check literally only minutes later and it was traded. I got a few Ditto worth keeping (I checked their IVs), many of them foreign to my game. Try it!

Years
    I've always wanted to try the masuda method, so I finally set myself up with a foreign 4iv ditto and my own perfect DD/AJ totodile...

32 eggs in...

Spoiler:

Of course, it took me 2 days of playing to get a perfect totodile to use for breeding. I'm not sure I could ever MM without really good parents, because if I got a shiny with bad IVs I'd be really sad...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2020
    Ive been using a Spanish Ditto with my Kabuto i got from a fossil to get a shiny Kabuto that i can evolve into a beautiful shiny Kabutops! So far I think I'm about 160 eggs into it without a shiny and it's taking so long..):

Years
    I just got a shiny Cacnea after about 14-ish eggs. THIS IS THE EMPEROR'S WORK.
    THE CACTUS SHALL LEAD TO GLORY AND VICTORY.

Back