• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

has anyone experienced bad subbing?

Years
    i've seen a few episodes, (example: detective conan) have been basically translated with a google translator. the grammar is so choppy that i'm sure everyone will noticed, they will mess up people's names, the names for common foods, and/or names of places. i'm a person who usually watch subs over dubs, but these types of subs really make me appreciate dubs.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
    I've never had one that's that bad really. A few bits of human error in names but that didn't really bother me too much as i knew the characters.

I'm not going too open the Sub V Dub debate as it's all down to personal preference, although i will say i've very rarely found a dub that i can watch as happily as a sub. A good dub would be Death Note and a terrible one Elfen Lied.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    Yes I have, and it's even deterred me from watching entire series. This happens more often to me with manga, however. My friends think I just complain too much, but really, when you don't know a word of Japanese and all you have to go on are the subs... it can really detract from what's otherwise a decent series.

Saitou

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2014
    I usually search for the best subbing for a certain anime, by looking at other people's opinions and complains, if any, about this particular subbing group. So, I can't say I ever had a bad experience with a subbing group, but I admit I stay away from some fansubs, who either rip episodes from CR or the like, or 'guess'.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I once saw this episode of Nogizaka Haruka where the subtitles were horrible, mainly because half of it showed up as $^$^#%#!@$$%^%^ and the rest was just plain bad grammar.

Years
    Inb4 ggand Troalguys. Thankfully, the only bad sub I've seen was of Detective Conan. The translation seemed good enough, but that typesetting was god awful. Still waiting for good fansubbers to catch up.

Last edited:

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I'm not claiming to be fluent in Japanese, but a fansub I saw of Tokyo Babylon frequently skipped lines or phrases, it hardly seemed worth watching. Better than nothing I suppose but not the best.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    The movie of Fullmetal Alchemist. It just skipped a lot of parts.
    It has to be said however that the official Sub isn't much better. Lots of grammer errors and sentences that make no sense whatsoever. Even with my (very) limited knowledge of Anime Japanese, I could have come up with a better translation. >_>

But otherwise... nah. Some errors here and there. =/
    Most funny one is one in episode 93 of D.Gray-man. Lavi yells: "Yu no patsu!", meaning something like "Yu's cut hair" (he's the one in my avatar... if you need a reason as to why Lavi (the redhead in my signature) would say something like that.)
    The sub I saw, heard "Yu no pantsu!" (Yu's underwear.) I lol'd.

Akirα

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    There is no "perfect" fansubbing groups, to be honest, but at least those groups are taking their time and subbing anime for us for free. I actually do not mind a couple of typos or bad choice of words, but what I hate and get annoyed by is when the text is not in sync with the video, which is the case in some of the horrible subbing groups. I also 'look away' when someone rips from a certain streaming source, so yeah.

I have had many bad experiences with bad subbing, but overall, we should appreciate [the subbing groups] them

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I once saw this episode of Nogizaka Haruka where the subtitles were horrible, mainly because half of it showed up as $^$^#%#!@$$%^%^ and the rest was just plain bad grammar.
    I remember that one, I think one of the second season episodes? Worst of all, IIRC it was on CRUNCHYROLL of all places :/

Sadly, I've seen bad subbing jobs elsewhere, even on "official" releases on DVD's. Sometimes I've also seen text jumbled up where it takes up the whole screen (scenes that involve speaking with a song in the background, along with translated signs on screen are bad for this).

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I've watched a few episodes of Fairy Tail in which the subs were really poor. Not too bad in the grammar portion, but bad because half of what the characters were saying didn't appear. It was pretty frustrating, but I could figure out what they were saying. XD

Apart from that, I've never really experienced (really) bad grammar or anything of that sort.

Years
    Heh, for a few series there are groups subbing them that take a little too much liberty in dialogue, especially leaving things that could be translated in original Japanese....and without translator notes to explain whatever the heck the word means. Shows with too many jargons unexplained really makes me not want to watch them. 8(

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I haven't,but the only bad subbing I had was when the sub would flicker for the whole episode and it was hard to read :/

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Interestingly enough, I haven't seen any horrible subbing, but then again, I generally don't follow series that have 10+ sub groups (of one language) trying to sub it, and even so, I generally watch anime raw until it finishes airing. Afterwords, it'll usually be a big name subbing group if it did get that many.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    A portion of the second season of Yu-Gi-Oh!

I don't know where it started but it's like they smash two sentences together and replace words. :P

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    A portion of the second season of Yu-Gi-Oh!

I don't know where it started but it's like they smash two sentences together and replace words. :P

Oh right, the chinese subs, I remember those actually now that you mention it. Green-Eyes White Dragon XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2014
    Good thing I understand a little Japanese..

But back on topic, yes, I did find some translations to be a little odd and had out-of-place wording, but nothing too big. For example, Densetsu no Yuusha_no Densetsu, a Summer anime release, had its first episode subbed by a certain fansub, which was simply terrible and the people [person] subbing it had little knowledge in the Japanese language. So, yeah, that's one, and once in Full Metal Panic.

Chadie

Satzi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Haha, where to start?

I am very unlucky when it comes to finding good subs. I never really read what people say about them, so I just download any subbing group that subbed the anime I want to watch. And unfortunately, the subs always suck; especially the rips from CR. Now, I am checking the opinions of others concerning a certain fansub before actually downloading the thing.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    I have encountered horrible subs in which people put swearing and sexual references, among references to internet pop-culture and memes that were not originally there. For example, in one Naruto sub, Sasuke was talking about his enemy, the log, seriously, was this guy watching the abridged series while making these subs, another sub I saw, I don't remember what anime it was (I think it was a One Piece sub), used internet chatspeak such as LOL and WTF, seriously, what was this guy smoking when he made these subs, finnaly, I found a video on Youtube, with screens of the worst fansube he ever saw.....

Back