• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has anyone gotten a shiny through breeding?

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
Years
  • I've got a Shiny Eevee sitting unused in my PC box. I mentioned to a friend of mine that it took me 12 eggs to breed a female Eevee, so he asks me if I wouldn't mind breeding him one because he's just too lazy for it. So he tells his little bro and he wants one too (because apparently Espeon just looks too femenine to be male). So within a week I'm being asked to accumulate 9 female Eevees. One week, 58 unhatched Eevee eggs, 40+ male Eevees released and 8 female Eevees later... the 9th female happens to also be a shiny... cha-ching...

Years
  • I got a shiny Scyther when I was breeding for an Adamant one in Platinum. I was shocked when I saw a darker green Scyther hatch out of the egg. That was my first and only shiny that I hatched.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    'Foreign' means different language. Sorry to say this, but breeding an Australian Ditto with a UK/US Pokémon won't increase your chance of hatching a shiny, as they're all English-language. You want something like a French or Japanese Ditto.

Years
  • 'Foreign' means different language. Sorry to say this, but breeding an Australian Ditto with a UK/US Pokémon won't increase your chance of hatching a shiny, as they're all English-language. You want something like a French or Japanese Ditto.

The official guide says it'll increase your chances as long as you breed with a pokemon traded from another country.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • I got a ditto from spain, would that be considered "foreign". I think an english speaking guy was the one who raised it. cause the name is in English.

JTrainer

I care about my Pokemon
    Years
  • This happened in my platinum version, but I bred a Ditto and a Rotom.....and got a shiny Rotom!!! I couldn't believe how lucky I was. It had a timid nature too! . Then I looked at its personality and was like "oh, likes to fight, well that won't do". So, I'm going to trade it to one of my friends...unless I could get something really good off of someone else for it.

pokedude911

Glitch Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2010
    I got a Shiny Gastly using the Masuda Method (Where you breed 2 of the same species of Pokémon but 1 is from a game of a different language.)

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    My American Flareon and Japanese Espeon sucessfully bred a shiny Eevee for me...
    It took a long time but that was worth it...
    The IVs are not great... Luckily the bred has a Timid nature and acceptable IV on Speed and Sp. Atk...

But it is not capable on taking hits... :'(
    Faint easily, due to bad defensive IVs...

Years
  • I've only ENCOUNTERED two shiny Pokemon, and caught one, but it was on a rom.

The first was a shiny Camerupt (was on a Pokemon Emerald rom, that I was messing around with for the lulz). I caught it, but of course, I couldn't keep it. (:P)

The second was a Diglett in FireRed, only I didn't KNOW it was shiny, and was confused, because I thought that Diglett had a red nose, not a blue one, but I couldn't tell for sure, being that I hadn't seen a Diglett in FOREVER.

But of course, it made no difference, for I had no pokeballs. D:

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • I downloaded an English Patched Japanese version of SS, so I'm gonna try breeding Ditto with an American Onix. But even with the Masuda method, you could be hatching thousands of eggs. ._.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2012
    I tried to breed a shiny in HG/SS. It was just too hard. =/

Pokemon Pearl/Diamond for breeding shinies FTW. <3

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • It seems a few posts here went a stray to talk about breeding shinies in games other than HeartGold and SoulSilver. In that case, rather than have to sift through all the posts, I'll take the time to move this to General Pokémon Gaming where it'll fit a lot better.

As for myself, I've never had the luck of hatching a shiny. I would love to one day though. It'll be a lot cooler to hatch one than run into one I think. :]

Dreadnought

Imperador
    Years
  • Before I learned to RNG Abuse there was only one time where I hatched a shiny by random. It was a Nincanda, and when it hatched I couldn't tell it was a shiny until I checked its summary page and saw that little red star to denote shiny.

Though now with RNG abusing, it is easy for me to get the shinies I want. Though it is still is a bit of tedious and redundant work.

Back