• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has Pokemon changed?

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    Pokemon is currently owned by Nintendo and was created by Satoshi Tajiri in 1996. That's over 16 years! Do you remember when you played Pokemon on the Nintendo 64 or on your Gameboy? The graphics have changed tremendously with new consoles like the Nintendo Wii. But besides that, do you think Pokemon has changed throughout the years? Has the scene changed?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Please pay more attention to where things belong. Moving this to Gaming Central.

Years
  • It's definitely changed in areas such as mechanics, graphics, and character design for both Pokemon and the trainers, but other important pieces such as the plot really haven't changed as much as I'd like them to. Personally, I feel that this franchise can be rather repetitive in some areas. People eat it up anyways, so I guess there's no incentive for GF to really alter anything.

But yeah, the franchise sure has really come a long way in 16 years. I mean, there are other 600 monsters now.

Last edited:

Zeroblivion

Brotherhood
    Years
  • Yes to all, it's because through the generations, things improve what we cared for.
    Pokemon is kind for a few suggestions that are understandable. We get what we wanted for a reason.

I sold my old consoles because people wanted them. But some of my old consoles are displayed in my room. Those consoles include Pokemon games like the first and second generation.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • For how much the basic formula of the game has been consistent throughout the years (fight gym leaders, win badges, challenge E4, defeat champion, A WINNAR IS YOU!!!), the villainous teams' subplots get increasingly deeper in every generation, making the Pokemon games feel like a more substantial RPG. Other than that though, not much has changed throughout the series outside of superficial graphics/sound upgrades. XD

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • The 5th gen Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon, they look like Nintendo ran out of ideas and just put random Pokemon in there. Nintendo should just leave all the Pokemon they have now before they completely ruin all the Pokemon. Everything else has changed as well. The graphics are a lot better, the scenes in the game, the design, layout, etc. I prefer HG/SS over any Pokemon game just because Johto and Kanto are the best regions and 5th gen isnt in.

Years
  • yeah i agree that gamefreak looks like its starting to run out of ideas which really scares me but in the graphics, sound it really has improved. I was also suprised by the plots improvement, they managed to keep the basic formula we love while still adding flavor and intensity

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022

Way to go, you may have just posted the two most controversial Pokemon statements possible.

Good luck with the inevitable replies. 3:
    Gotta love them Gen1 purists.

But seriously, the mechanics in which you play the game have changed, but that's it. Catch, train, trade, battle, beat the baddies, become Champ. Nothing further than that has changed. Do I see it changing any time soon? I hope not. I love the formula, and I'm glad they bring in new Pokemon every generation.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    The overall game formula looks like it's been the same. There haven't been too many changes to that, however, there are just a lot more things to do as the generations pass. A few mechanics change here and there, and it adds on to having more things to do, like the Battle Frontier and the IV/EV mechanics added in to take competitive battling to another level. But they add more to the games, like contests. You don't need them, but it sure does pass some time.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • By no means have they "run out of ideas"; If anything they're putting more thought into their ideas. If every Pokémon was a clone of the old ones, that would be running out of ideas; But instead we have all these new cool, well thought out ones, because the obvious ones are already taken. One random "Ice cream" and everyone jumps to the conclusion that the designers are loosing it.

Pokémon is still Pokémon. Some new features that make it a little more playable, but they work it in so well that the average player doesn't even notice.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    The 5th gen Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon, they look like Nintendo ran out of ideas and just put random Pokemon in there. Nintendo should just leave all the Pokemon they have now before they completely ruin all the Pokemon. Everything else has changed as well. The graphics are a lot better, the scenes in the game, the design, layout, etc. I prefer HG/SS over any Pokemon game just because Johto and Kanto are the best regions and 5th gen isnt in.

... Throws you into a pool filled with Carvahna and Sharpido and then lets my Hyragon eat the remains....

5th Gen is no worse then 1st Gen. I take it back, 1st Gen is least creative out of them all. Nearly all of them are generaic animals. Even few non-animal pokemon are just generaic objects with little change. And THEY are ones came up with Seal named SEEL. YOU SIR FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OT: yes Pokemon changed but I think they changed for better.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    The games haven't changed in style for me, but the scene definitely has. Back in the red-blue era, everyone had a Gameboy and Pokemon, so there was a LOT more real-world trading, and you actually felt like a Pokemon trainer.

The physical games are all the same concept, which is nice, but there is a definite improvement in efficiency (like Select hotkey, Bag format, etc.) that has made the games almost like sports games, where you tend to play the newer ones.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    ... Throws you into a pool filled with Carvahna and Sharpido and then lets my Hyragon eat the remains....

5th Gen is no worse then 1st Gen. I take it back, 1st Gen is least creative out of them all. Nearly all of them are generaic animals. Even few non-animal pokemon are just generaic objects with little change. And THEY are ones came up with Seal named SEEL. YOU SIR FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OT: yes Pokemon changed but I think they changed for better.
    Let's not be so rude, shall we? :)

Personally, I think one of the underlying points in Pokémon is to encourage companionship within the animal kingdom. It's important that they resemble animals that are recognizable to us. They're more relatable and understandable, and it makes the game feel much more realistic and helps you delve into the game.

Years
  • Of course Pokemon has changed, in many ways including graphic wise and pokemon design wise, but one thing that hasnt changed is that the games are a lot of fun.

Back