• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has Pokemon Influenced Your Childhood Thoughts?

Aiden Blue

Cincinnati's Trainer
Years
  • Being a little dude back in '98, I always thought that the weather outside IRL was influenced by the 3 Legendary birds. When ever it Thunderstorm'd hardcore, I thought it was Zapdos in the sky battling and such... I guess it was a better way to cope with how violent the world around me had gotten. When Gen 2 hit, I always saw murder of Crow and thought of Murcrow! My brother, and I always used to write secret notes using the Unknown alphabet.

Has there ever been a situation where you rationalization was influenced by your love of Pokemon?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Not in that way I believe. But my childhood sure wouldn't have been the same without pokémon. It was my favorite thing, absolute favorite thing to play with and think about back when I was like 9-11. Back when I still had friends who cared about it and hadn't outgrown it. Like I never did :p

I too used to try to write in Unown letters xD People thought I was strange when they realized what it was, so I quit that pretty quickly.

Hm, I don't have any great examples of what you are really inquiring about though. I used to have my own weird fantasy ways to explain clouds, stars and weather and stuff. For fun. But I don't think I ever included pokémon in that. I kind of knew pokémon didn't exist for real. (sadly!)

Maybe one thing actually - I used to love sorting my pokémon TCG cards in different ways. So doing that might have caused me to enjoy sorting stuff, any stuff, more obsessively than I'd done otherwise 8)

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2016
    When I would visit different places I used to imagine what pokemon would inhabit there. It made for a good way to pass the time on road trips.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Maybe one thing actually - I used to love sorting my pokémon TCG cards in different ways. So doing that might have caused me to enjoy sorting stuff, any stuff, more obsessively than I'd done otherwise 8)

Jesus Christ, let's focus on this. I started collecting Pokemon cards around age...6? And I would reorganize my book every day, at around the same time too. Not only did I find myself unsatisfied with how I did it the day before, but I enjoyed redoing it to suit my needs for that day. This carried over into everything else I cared for and collected. Not as ridiculously obsessive though, but still. Types one day, numerical the next, alphabetical on the weekend, reverse alphabetical the day after that...the list goes ON to how many ways I figured out how to organize that thing.

This carried on into my adult life, though not as compulsory...but good Lord, my book is in for a massive makeover soon.

Years
  • I reorganized my cards once a month when I got a new pack or whenever I traded any. I also have all my games color coded. Red, Yellow, Silver
    Ruby, Fire Red
    Pearl (pink/red kinda)
    Soul Silver
    White, White 2
    Y (red themed)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Around here nobody is a traditional video gamer, and thus Pokémon never affected social life. Though I spent hours thinking about it altogether, I never got rational thoughts modified, with a strong belief of such-such. I did compare daily happenings with that of Pokémon and thought about how Pokémon would be affected by the environmental danger in today's world, but that was only a pass-time sort of thing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Yes, of course. When I was a kid, I would always relate things to Pokémon at every chance I got. For example, when I'd lose motivation to do something, I'd start thinking about what people like Ash and Misty would do in a situation like this; by doing so, I would be able to keep myself going and finish whatever I started. If you ask me, this is definitely a positive effect. To some extent, I also used to think that animals were actual Pokémon, and were able to use Pokémon attacks as well but just didn't know how. XD" Now, though, I'm nothing like that. Only time you would ever see me thinking about Pokémon these days is when making artwork or writing some story based around them, or when playing games, watching the anime, or listening to some Pokémon music.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • Well, not in the way you describe it, but it definitely had an impact on my childhood. As a kid my family used to move a lot. Every time I had to try and make new friends, Pokemon was usually the subject which brought us together :P Plus I used to draw a lot of Pokemon related stuff and follow the anime :)

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • Discovering the history of Unown may have given me a bit of an interest in History as a kid. I really liked ancient history, and archaeology was really interesting to me when I was 12-13. Pokemon was also a great way to make friends, as I did when I first bought my copy of Diamond :3

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Pokemon has opened my eyes of interest to certain topics legendary Pokemon are associated to.
    Dialga and Palkia were some of my earliest influences. They made me think about the relation of Space and Time and now I found how astonishingly amazing the Physical world is.
    Zoroark was announced and now the concept of Illusion has baffled me with numerous possibilities and exploits as I loved to htink about the deceptive and mischievous.
    Pokemon X and Y came out and it was in researching about Xerneas and Yveltal's origin that I became known and a bit interested in Norse Mythology outside the well-known gods and goddesses.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • Well back when I was 6 I thought pokemon were "real" so every day I would use a baseball as a pokeball and go into the woods to find them man was I disappointed lol

Years
  • Pokemon influenced me more than I could have imagined it would.
    I am still a playful kid thanks to it.
    I never judge people over what they like and what they enjoy because they feel about those stuff the way I feel about Pokemon.
    My imagination is reaching points so high it's I still surprise myself sometimes.
    Pokemon made me interested in Pokemon. And guess what I study today? Biology (k, not exactly, but planning to end up a biologist).
    etc :D

Back